Forums Latest Members

Which Rolex do you pick?

1. Stripey Jun 9, 2021

Explorer

2. jhross98 Jun 9, 2021

My wife chose this one

20210609_183102.jpg

yvrclimber, Stewart A and Nobel Prize like this.
  3. Rado63 Jun 9, 2021

Yes I have been offered a choice of Rolex watches before. Yes I did receive a call, but no I was never offered a full array of watches to choose from. I have only been offered pieces the AD had at the time. Meaning what we have you can purchase, or leave it, because supposedly these are the pieces the AD has in the store and they are willing to offer to me. Some other client may be offered different pieces. Today at this moment One Rolex I wish I owned but I have never been offered, is the blue black GMT on jubilee.

4. Tonyash Jun 9, 2021

It is possible the first watch worn on top of Everest may actually have been a Smiths 15 jewel.
    Both Smiths and Rolex watches were issued to the Hilary expedition, Smiths because the expedition was British sponsored and used British equipment. Rolex because they had a history of supplying Everest expeditions.
    Rolex pushed the fact the Rolex OP was first in their much stronger advertising campaigns but it is debatable and some evidence would seem to suggest that both Hillary and Norgay wore Dennison cased Smiths throughout the expedition. Hilary presented his Everest Smiths to the Clockmaker's Museum whose collection now resides in the Science Museum London.
    You can't fault Rolex's superior marketing in maximising exposure at the expense of the less savvy Smiths but there may not necessarily be truth in that there advertising.
    Interesting Smiths released an Everest range of watches after the 1953 expedition, Rolex released a watch called the Explorer.
    On the original topic I would much rather a vintage Tudor Monte Carlo in blue, or a Tudor 7928 than any modern or vintage Rolex. Pervers?, moi?, peut-etre.:)

JwRosenthal and DoctorEvil like this.
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 9, 2021

Tough one for me. If I had none and just walked cold to a store and had to choose one I honestly don’t know what I would pick.

if it is within the modern offerings:

i havent seen the new subs 41 so I’d be curious. I tend to think a Sub would probably be my first pick because it’s like going to Burger King and not getting a whopper. I mean, it’s a sub.

i love the dj41 in blue and white

I love the new OP41 line. I love the yellow first but would not mind having other colors

i love the white Daytona ceramic but, being practical, I can get a sub and an OP for the Daytona price ( talking retail pricing)

having the funds though, I’d take them all because it’s about the safest purchase you can make on value and if I where to change my mind they would be easy to flip. And flipping only one would pay for the others.

MtnMarine likes this.
  6. DoctorEvil Jun 10, 2021

I'm a relative noob to the watch game but already I can see that Rolex are geniuses when it comes to marketing and creating mystique around certain models in their range.

7. Speede Jun 14, 2021

126619LB For me

8. jhross98 Jun 15, 2021

I just bought this and it might be the perfect 36mm watch

20210614_185224.jpg

Nobel Prize likes this.