Forums Latest Members

Which ones stay and which ones go

1. FrequentTrain Oct 2, 2020

I thought this common question would be fun for others to weigh in on each other’s collections.

I would be interested in hearing which watch is an absolute keep and which should be sold. For the one sold, the respondent should say what should be added in its place and why.

Here’s my collection. I think the YM is an absolute keep and the Black Bay would be the next to go. To replace it, I’d consider a Gmt Pepsi (only at retail), Panerai Radiomir or Cartier Drive de Cartier WSNM0004. The GMT to add a new complication, the Radiomir to add something bezel-less but robust, and the Cartier to add something dressy.

Please respond and also post your collection.

B16CF04C-F169-4C7D-A057-D79C475FB7FE.jpeg
    Edited Oct 2, 2020
    Dsloan and nahckered like this.
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 2, 2020

Ditch the Breitling. Add a GMT.

3. Kingkongsfinger Oct 2, 2020

Bottom left is a keeper but Im biased.

maskwp and FrequentTrain like this.
  4. Dsloan Oct 2, 2020

I say sell the Breitling and the Rolex. Selling the Yachtmaster would free up a lot of cash and to get a nice GMT and dress watch. Or, if you really like the YM, maybe unload the gray SM300 or the Tudor - you've already got 3 dive watches.

I think the Tudor GMT is fantastic. I also sort of like how the newer Panerai GMTs have an AM/PM indicator so you don't have to use 24 time to track your home time. Cartier is a classic, but, personally, I've been really excited about recent Grand Seiko and JLC models that fit that category.

I'd post my collection but it is a bit below your price range. :D

Dor_42 and FrequentTrain like this.
  5. FrequentTrain Oct 2, 2020

Enjoyed the post but still would be interested in seeing your collection. I’m definitely not a price or brand snob unless we’re talking an all Nixon and Invicta collection - just doesn’t seem like respectable watchmaking imo. Grand Seiko would be a good add. Funny that no one likes the Superocean Chrono. I like that it’s a 42mm chrono with some serious water resistance (have two young kids).

Dsloan likes this.
  6. pw92676 Oct 2, 2020

Nice collection. I usually am of the mindset to sell off only if you don’t wear it and if you don’t have some personal connection to the watch. If you’re just trying to free up for next purchase then I’d steer towards getting rid of BB and superocean as you already have other chrono/water resistant pieces. Love the Cartier Drive and think that would make a fantastic addition.

Aquariusmatic likes this.
  7. High Hope Oct 2, 2020

If only keeping one it would have to be the Speedy.

I would sell the Breitling. I've had poor experience with the three Breitlings I've owned. Two were out-an-out failures (under warranty) and the last one routinely spat out the pins holding the bracelet together. To say that was disconcerting is an understatement. It was also under warranty but after the three strikes rule there was no way I wanted another Breitling.

Edit: The AD was terrific. He let me pick out any watch by any manufacturer and pay whatever difference in price.

FrequentTrain likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 2, 2020

There is just too much steel and grey in that box for me. Anything with a splash of colour.

;)

21CB8076-5879-4CFB-8711-EE8BBA1A70DC.jpeg

9. RonJ Oct 2, 2020

Of those 7 watches, the middle 3 (MeisterSinger, Speedy Pro, and Tudor) seem the most interesting to me.

This is based just on personal taste and the kind of watches I like to wear.

10. FrequentTrain Oct 2, 2020

Any thoughts as to models with color? I added the Seamaster 300m, which adds some color, but agree that is a point of deficiency.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 2, 2020

Ditch the whole top row and the bottom right Rolex.

12. FrequentTrain Oct 2, 2020

Haha. Ouch.

13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 2, 2020

Keep the Tudor, ditch the rest, buy a sportbike and a nice old railway pocketwatch.

see the Illinois thread for inspiration.

Aquariusmatic likes this.
  14. llvhhui Oct 2, 2020

I'd get rid of the Meister Singer. It looks awfully big.
    But it's your collection.

thelinendial likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 2, 2020

Look at the new JLC line of Divers. Oris too. Pepsi GMT. You need color in that group.

FrequentTrain likes this.
  16. arkman Oct 2, 2020

I think the Superocean and the Yacht Master are the least interesting. In terms of a replacement, similar to the saying, every man needs at least one good suit, every watch collector likely needs at least one good dress watch.

17. FrequentTrain Oct 2, 2020

It is (52mm) but still wearable. It’s definitely for casual wear but it would be a pretty sober watch other than the size. It’s sometimes fun to wear an intentionally oversized watch.

I probably will end up selling it eventually since it’s somewhat fallen out of rotation for a while.

18. FrequentTrain Oct 2, 2020

Took the Seiko out of the pic and added the Ball since the Seiko is more of a sentimental watch anymore rather than one that I wear. Bought as a present to myself for graduating undergrad early.

The Ball was my first “nice” watch and was my daily wearer for 7 years.

19. Marsimaxam Oct 2, 2020

He asked...
    Keep the two Omegas, and the Meister Singer... I'm going to ignore your request regarding the Seiko... say goodbye.
    Now, buy a Rolex Submariner, a Rolex GMT and a vintage (1940s - 1960s) gold dress watch, i.e. Omega constellation, Bulova, Vacheron Constantin, Hamilton, Gruen, etc. Price of dress watch will range from hundreds to mid 5K. If buying all three is too much, flip a coin between the Sub and GMT.
    bulova-1950s-art-deco-watch.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600.jpg bd3510e368c144dfb6b5d50e6243b490.jpg

thelinendial and JwRosenthal like this.
  20. w@tcher Oct 2, 2020

I would never sell the Speedmaster.

I would definetly sell the Breitling.

I had also the Blackbay with the rose logo (ETA) but i quickly got bored and i sold it... So, it would be the next one to be sold ...
    To my eyes the specific Rolex seems really boring... If you could replace it with a GMT ii it would be wise imho...