Forums Latest Members
  1. KBowen Jun 14, 2020

Good morning to All, I am hoping for some advice on where I can acquire/purchase a correct case for my 265 jumbo dial.

s-l400.jpg s-l400-1.jpg
    I recently purchased the movement with a view to rebuilding it back to its former glory. It is currently running reasonably well with some very obvious water damage to the dial which I will clean being sympathetic to its age.

Does anyone know what case this movement requires to keep it correct and where I can find/purchase one, preferably with the crystal.

Any help or further questions welcome.

Many thanks,

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 14, 2020

That looks like the remainder of a gold case scrapping exercise. Unfortunately the value of gold means that you are unlikely to find another suitable gold case so may have to look for a steel case. You describe it as a jumbo dial, the case size is what determines jumbo or std so that looks a pretty standard 30mm movement and dial to me meaning you will have a wide field of cases that fit it. There will be dozens of case numbers from the 1940s to early 1960s that take the 30mm family of movements. FYI that movement serial number dates the movement to around 1952-3.

My honest opinion is that with the considerable dial damage, you may end up spending a lot to create something that will look pretty tired. The poor dial is maybe why it was scrapped in the first place. It will likely be cheaper to buy a running, more attractive watch. What you have there is realistically a (quite clean) donor movement and a dial which is candidate for a redial and would be valued as such.

3. mac_omega Jun 14, 2020

I concur wholeheartedly

padders likes this.
  4. KBowen Jun 14, 2020

Thanks for the quick reply, I know the dial might be beyond saving but I think I will still give it a go.

I do you happen to know what type of S/S case I would need to look for, I'm not quite familiar with the different types just yet and any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for the clarification on the year,

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 14, 2020

Mac who posted above wrote the book on 30mm movement chronometer rated Omegas (yes really) so has much more of an idea but I would hazard a guess that any case that originally fitted a 26X or 28X movements (or their 30mm predecessors) will fit what you have there. There may be some fettling needed were you to to use a case designed for a thicker dial (like the Raimaster) but those would be very expensive and hard to find anyhow.

Here is the Ranfft page for the Omega 265, showing you the other closely related movements

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&a&2uswk&Omega_265

EDIT: having read Mac's reply below, it seems I am likely being too optimistic here and you may well have trouble unless you can identify the original donor case.

Edited Jun 14, 2020
  6. mac_omega Jun 14, 2020

If you really want to spend (a considerable amount) of money on this projekt to find a correct case you have to proceed as follows: provide the serial number to Omega and try to convince them to let you know the case number (ref.#) where this movement was encased. But I strongly fear they will not do so as they ask for a photo of the watch now to release an extract of the archives - and as you don´t have a complete watch, just the movement, you most probably will fail - but it doesn´t hurt to give it a try.

7. KBowen Jun 14, 2020

Gentlemen, thank you both for your time and information. Looks like I have an up hill battle on my hands!

I think next time consult, then purchase!

Enjoy the rest of your sunday,

8. tamura Jun 14, 2020

Looks like it is a 29,5mm dial - no jumbo!

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 14, 2020

Next time buy the case first. ;)