Forums Latest Members
  1. cmdumond Dec 2, 2016

*Note: Since the original post, I've edited the title given we know now the dial/movement combo is not right for the subject case below. This is now a "which case is right for me?" post.

If you're following along at home, you know I purchased a ref. 14779 from a member earlier this year, then unknowingly conspired with "my" watchmaker to ruin the case -- leaving me with a beautiful 552 movement, dial and hands.
    After doing some research, I believed I had found a replacement 165.003 case -- one that was used both with the dial, hands and movement I had from the 14779. I bought the case and figured foolishly that it would be a matter of dropping in the movement, putting in a new crystal, stem and crown and rocking on.

1. Without a crystal in place and without the case clamps on the movement, the movement drops straight through the case. Even with the correct crystal for the case installed, there's a big coppery gap between the edge of the dial and the tension ring on the crystal. What's up with that? Is my dial actually wrong for the movement? Can this be corrected by buying a 'wide ring' crystal?

2. My 14779 case had nice divots machined into the side of the case that the case clamps fit into. The 165.003 case doesn't have these. How is the movement secured (I looked online for proper images and didn't find any that were appropriate) in the 165.003 case?

Insights and pictures are appreciated. Let me know if I can post any particular pictures of my predicament if they would be helpful.

Edited Dec 4, 2016
  2. ChrisN Dec 4, 2016

Your dial is wrong for this case.

Some of the dials overlap the edge of the movement, like this Constellation. You can see that it's not just on the front of the movement, it extends down the sides but there are cut-outs between 4-5 and 10-11. These are for the case clamps. Also, there is one at 3 for the stem.

You have a 165.003 case and here is one that was for sale on this forum. In the picture below, the centre of the X I've drawn appears to be the dial extending down the sides of the movement and you'll see it gets cut at the 10-11 case clamp on the left.
    dial.jpg
    You can't use this case with your dial as your dial diameter is equal to/less than the movement (I suspect but I've not seen a picture of your dial) and the dial needs to have an OD greater than the movement.

I hope this helps, Chris

wsfarrell and cmdumond like this.
  3. cmdumond Dec 4, 2016

Great info. It makes sense now.

Here's a photo of my uncased dial and movement from front. I have put my calipers away for the last time today, but as you can see, there's a gap between the outside of the dial and the movement. When I bought the watch, you could ever so slightly see the copper around the dial.

So, is this normal (the gap) and if so, what cases should I be on the lookout for that will fit with this dial/movement combination (other than the obvious 14779)?

If it's not normal, the whole set is of this mess is going up for sale on the bay and I'm done with it.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Edited Dec 4, 2016
  4. cmdumond Dec 7, 2016

No one?

5. ChrisN Dec 7, 2016

I don't think anyone can answer this for you.

If you look at the original ad for this watch, in the first face on picture, you don't see any copper coloured movement. The only reason you see it in the others is because the crystal tension ring is on upside down. The dial looks fine and appears to be for a 550 series. If the dial feet are intact (and your watchmaker probably would have told you if they were not) then the positions of those feet mean it will only fit the 550 series (not a 330 series automatic for example) which are all the same diameter movement. So, it's designed like that.

You need a 14779 case, unless you see a picture like yours for a service on a 550 series watch that has a different case but the same dial diameter. Then it may be possible to use that case. I empasise the word "may". I doubt anyone knows the dial diameters that go with each case so we can't answer your question. Here's my 166.0010 and you see the same effect but, it's a 565 with date so not exactly as yours. You'd be taking a huge chance buying another case on the off chance it would work.
    166.0010.jpg

If I remember your other thread well, I have to ask, are you sure the original case is beyond repair? I say this because it is surprising what can be done and this still seems a better way forward.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Chris