Forums Latest Members
  1. iamvr Oct 18, 2023

Indeed, the Rolex Explorer can be had for below retail now, unworn.

The key word sadly

Kapka and Rudi99 like this.
  2. Bernhard J Oct 18, 2023

Perhaps presently just the speculators are jumping off the sinking ship? Speculators often buy with borrowed money and the profits of flipping need to overcompensate (the rising) interest rates ... :rolleyes:

3. spacemission Oct 18, 2023

Rats abandon ship.

MDubs and Pixitfecit like this.
  4. Davidt Oct 18, 2023

It’s great isn’t it!!!
    I’ve bought two Speedmasters and a Camaro in the last month.

SpdMastr, Woops, Caliber561 and 19 others like this.
  5. Dimitar Adamski Oct 18, 2023

I am glad is down as a collector willing to buy.
    But I must say I found it difficult to sell my SM300 Watchco, despite being really vintage,but still it was challenging.

6. Fallout Boy Oct 18, 2023

Why did you sell the watch? Why did you buy this watch once?

Dimitar Adamski and Bernhard J like this.
  7. Dimitar Adamski Oct 18, 2023

Didn`t bond with it.

Mark020 likes this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Oct 18, 2023

Speculators only like to buy if they can do so low, and sell high.

For several months now, the opportunities to buy at retail have been outpacing the opportunities to sell in the secondary market for a profit.

Several of the dealers I know in the UK have told me in recent months that the prices that people are expecting to get out of these watches in much more than the market can withstand, and whereas in the past they had people show up to sell a watch, they have been getting more and more calls that go along the lines of "I've just got an allocation for XYZ, what would you buy it/could you sell it for", and then when the number they say isn't +50% of the RRP the person tells them they will pass on the allocation.

I think this is the big market correction that a lot of people have been waiting for - retail prices aren't going to go down for new watches, but availability at retail will increase as the inflated created by ADs, Scalpers, and impatient people collapses - it's taken 5 years, but it looks like it is finally happening.

Jonathan40, Woops, Mam and 16 others like this.
  9. Bernhard J Oct 18, 2023

I agree with respect to new watches. The vintage market is somewhat different. It was pulled up to some account by the speculation with new watches and is now breaking down in parallel, and even more severe.

I am presently buying vintage watches with gold cases at prices just a little bit over their scrap value. Look at this one. Gold value of the case a bit above 850 € (18K, case 22 gramms with crystal). Bought for 1020 €, including auction premium and shipping costs. This is actually a joke. I cannot "loose", if I need/want to sell one day (hopefully in far future). I would say a solid investment without serious loss riscs. At least I justify myself with this argument :D. Cash on the bank account looses about 6%, anually (!)....

::love::

L1040389.JPG
    L1040397.JPG

Drof14, Plees, pmontoyap and 16 others like this.
  10. Bernhard J Oct 18, 2023

Or this one. For 805 €, including premium and shipping. Also a 18K case and a really nice movement (cal. 40T).

z1.jpg
    z13.jpg

Or this, for 810 €, again including premium and shipping, 18K case.

L1040390.JPG

Drof14, Plees, Mam and 15 others like this.
  11. Bernhard J Oct 18, 2023

But please keep away where I am bidding/buying currently ... Grinsen.gif

Plees, Mam, Makesbelieve and 7 others like this.
  12. itsjustausername Oct 18, 2023

That's an attractive watch! When buying remotely, how do you determine the weight of the case?

13. harrymai86 Oct 18, 2023

As all markets when prices drop, people will expect it to go even lower, it will take months years till it hits bottom and a new circle.

But if we have some cash around, time to wait for the right watch we desire I think.

Bernhard J likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 18, 2023

This is just the Covid correction. Prices jumped a bit in 2021 2022 and people that bought the $600 watch for $800 still want $800 so they list it at $800 and it sits.

The excellent same watch for $1200 is still selling.

So many sub par watches sitting as the flippers are used to never selling for less than they paid.

tyrantlizardrex and Bernhard J like this.
  15. Bernhard J Oct 18, 2023

Just from experience and my estimate. For example, the 18K Chronograph Suisse watches rarely have more than 5 gramms, you could fold the rear 18K cover easily by hand (never snap it closed at other places than near the rim) :D. In case of the Zenith cushion case watch I had estimated 20 gramms. Similar in case of the 40T Zenith, in that case because there is no non-gold metal ring between the movement and the case, as it is often seen. This is indicative for a rather massive gold case, "paper gold" would by far not be stabil enough.

Mark020 and itsjustausername like this.
  16. Fallout Boy Oct 18, 2023

You can compare it with some similar empty cases in your drawer ;). rule of three . You need a digital-balance.

Edited Oct 18, 2023
  17. Bernhard J Oct 18, 2023

:D Not a single empty case in my drawer (except when I am working on the movement thereof), but when I remove movements from a gold case, I just for interest weigh it as a routine since years (always helpful for justifying a purchase :whistling:).

Reminds me of a nice pocket watch won at eBay, which had a broken staff. I had thought to make it a project. I made a low estimate of the case weight on basis of the dimensions and bid the gold value of this low estimate. Right after receiving the watch I was amazed of the weight in the hand. After removing the movement, I weighed the case and it turned out that I had paid less than half of the material value. Oha.gif In short, I cancelled the sale and the watch was returned to the surprised (and delighted) seller, who was a completely uneducated private (elderly) person.

Drof14, nik_t, crl848 and 15 others like this.
  18. watchem Oct 18, 2023

Global financial situation along with the fact that vintage watches are no longer a value purchase as they once were. Name brands in vintage could be had below 1000 usd.

19. DrmexicoII Oct 18, 2023

Speaking personally, my spare money is going on increasing fuel, energy and grocery prices. Everything just costs loads more. Like multiples more, not small pc increases. My mortgage is about to go up from just under 2% interest to probably low 5s. Add in the fact the kids always seem to need new clothes or money for some club or other and disposable income for hobbies becomes increasingly diminished.

Now, if Mrs Mexico would consider working full time she could top up the joint accounts with money occasionally so I could allocate my hard earned to more watches... But that's another story! :D

I know every person's circumstance is different, but we're in the middle of a cost of living crisis and if nothing else that limits the number of potential buyers... When demand goes down it means the remaining buyers can be more picky.

Just my tuppence... Other opinions are available.

blubarb, Jonathan40, Mam and 8 others like this.
  20. DON Oct 18, 2023

Canadian TSX is in the negative for the year. My investments are down as I’m sure the same for everyone world wide. Most special type foods (steak etc.) if not a reasonable price or on sale. I’ll do without.

I did buy a couple of quartz Chinese watches, but still waiting for them. Only $30 ea.

monza1971 likes this.