Forums Latest Members
  1. infantej Apr 16, 2018

Been lurking for a while trying to learn. I'm a high end beer collector and part of the fun is the hunt. I'm starting to see that with watches. So, besides online, what types of places do you go to and hunt? I wandered through some large antique/junk stores today with no luck.

roryoc11 likes this.
  2. redpcar Apr 16, 2018

Watches? :whistling:
    Sorry. Can't help.

3. BenBagbag Apr 16, 2018

4. adi4 Apr 16, 2018

Isn't this a bit like asking a fisherman their favorite fishing spots? To answer your question, it could be anywhere from eBay to pawn shops, estate sales, Yahoo Japan auctions, an old cranky watchmaker...

Looking through antique stores is usually just asking for disappointment until you hit on that 1 time in 100 where you stumble across something interesting.

felsby and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  5. infantej Apr 16, 2018

I'm not asking for secret spots. Wouldn't really matter since I'm sure nobody lives where I live. But your response was more what I was thinking about. In your experience antique stores are a waste of time.

6. redpcar Apr 16, 2018

If you truly want to hunt for watches, you need to go where the people from the antique malls shop. Flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales....oh, and then there is ebay.
    Essentially, the antique malls are full of items that have already been found by collectors researched and assigned a value. That said, there are the old, out of the way, antique malls where watches have been sitting for years might be undervalued. I'll hit them once and a while.

adi4, GuiltyBoomerang and BenBagbag like this.
  7. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2018

Not a bit like - it's exactly like.

Sure, let me just post on the world wide web all my secrets to success so hundreds of novices can usurp the gems I would otherwise have mined myself.

marco, Waltesefalcon, Tony C. and 5 others like this.
  8. rb10chris Apr 16, 2018

I haven't had much luck with estate sales, nowadays you have to get creative or lucky.. lots of people searching for the same things

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 16, 2018

Know your target is the most important thing. Often even bad photos can tell you if it’s a winner.

If you know your target you can also easily tell quickly what you should pass over.

Hunting watches involves knowledge more then anything else.

10. Rman Apr 16, 2018

All the guys with over 3 posts get entry to a “special” hunting park where all the big game is stocked.

11. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 16, 2018

It's more a question of:
    what are you after and how much are you willing to spend and what are you going to do with it?

blubarb likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2018

I'd say it's more of a question of why isn't the OP willing to do his own homework and learn the ropes like we all did. Everyone wants everything handed to them nowadays, without putting in the time & effort to earn it.

I used to spend summers at the shore with my uncle, and would occasionally join him in his routine of scouring a multi-county area for vintage items (including clocks and watches).

13. TexOmega Apr 16, 2018

Did they have wristwatches back then?

::rimshot::

marco, davten, Syrte and 7 others like this.
  14. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2018

Yes, tiny gold dress watches GALORE! There were probably Speedmasters too, but who cares about them?

marco, Jonatan, gemini4 and 5 others like this.
  15. infantej Apr 16, 2018

Hmm, I thought this was exactly what I was doing. Instead of post after post of eBay sales asking if I should buy, I am hitting the pavement. I really thought this post was more going to start a conversation with interesting stories. I'm not sure why everyone is so protective of saying you hit estate sales or flea markets. Real welcoming bunch here. Guess I will go back over to watchuseek.

To those who commented about antique stores bring the wrong place to look, much appreciated. You saved me wasting a few hours.

dxholdren and mayankyadav like this.
  16. TexOmega Apr 16, 2018

And, of course, the Classic....." was it uphill both ways?"

::rimshot::

Now, get off my lawn

OP, Google Images and this and other forums to hone your knowledge so you know what you want, and what it should look like. Mostly, you get one chance at the undiscovered gems, nowadays.

I'd start buying on this Forum

17. BenBagbag Apr 16, 2018

Bingo.

Call me the buyer of bad photos (but don't make it my slogan @ulackfocus!). Here are some watches that may have gone overlooked due to bad seller photos (which I'm attaching here):

blurry dial craigslist seller.jpg
    dial seller.jpg craigslist picture.jpg

I knew what I was looking at, and luck was on my side. No after photos. ;)

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. BenBagbag Apr 16, 2018

Oh yeah, and this one was listed (and priced) as a woman's watch:

20171102_205523.jpg

Syrte and Foo2rama like this.
  19. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 16, 2018

This was marked as a 'cronograph' and had no movement photos:

[​IMG]

In flesh:

[​IMG]

shishy, jove14, adi4 and 3 others like this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 16, 2018

You can’t buy good pieces unless you know what your looking for. Ebay, thrift shops, etc 100 bad pieces for one good one. Bad pieces sometimes sell high.

My biggest scores where bad pictures or finding a miss listing. But every time I knew exactly what I was looking for and what to avoid.

omegaswisst and blubarb like this.