When Did Omega (and Rolex) Start Becoming Luxury Watch Brands?

I was leafing through the pages of a book that I got for Christmas called "A Moonwatch Story" when I came across this print advertisement:

It dates from around 1968 I believe, and it states that Omega made watches that range in price from US$65 to US$15,000. I was intrigued by the huge price range and I was also curious as to what this would be in today's dollars.

According to Amortization.org $1 in 1968 equates to $8.75 today. So, this means that back then Omega made watches ranging in price from $568.75 to $131,250 in today's dollars. I was stunned. They must have made everything from daily drivers to high end luxury pieces. And a Speedmaster Pro could be had brand new for just $1618.75 in today's dollars!

Which then leads me to the question in the title of this thread. I am too young to remember those days, so I was wondering if any of our older (and more esteemed) forum members would be able to recall when they started seeing the change happen? Also, did Rolex back then also make watches that the average wage earner could afford?

Thanks in advance for your responses and have a great day.

Maybe when quartz technology accuracy could be had cheaply, the old company's had to focus on luxury to move their product?

Good question.

I suggest that you play around here: https://www.measuringworth.com/

Your figures are a bit off. You are forgetting that Omega, Rolex and every other Swiss watch company paid their people in Swiss francs. The dollar has depreciated against the franc by a factor of about 5. So that Speedmaster that you say sells for $1,600 of “today’s dollars” really sells for about $8,000. Current price is more like $6,600, so not too far off.

Omega and Rolex have always been considered luxury items. It’s just some were more luxurious than others.
gatorcpa

There is a really good book that I’ve been reading over the holidays about the history of watches called ‘The Hands of Time’. By Rebecca Struthers. She has a great chapter on the post war period that talks about how watches were made commonplace by the two world wars (where by WWII they were general issue or available cheaply to servicemen), Then in the post war period she has more chapters that talks about how people wanted the latest technology on their wrists (sort of like cell phones today when people want the latest cameras etc) and the quartz crisis.

In the 50s after the war period all the major brands at the time made sure they had a range of options, from everyday affordable watches to really expensive options in gold, etc. This got many brands established as being players in the luxury space. Then in the 70s the Japanese out competed the Swiss and quartz became the cheap watch. This eventually led to new brands coming in at the low end and pushed today’s luxury brands more into higher tiers.

I grew up an Army brat, which meant I had access to the military PX. Around 1975, I moved to Anchorage near Ft. Richardson and started getting into photography. My memory is not good, but I recall that a Rolex was about $350. I think minimum wage was about $2 per hour then. I didn't know much about watches but had the opinion that Rolex was the top brand. I also believed Seiko was a good watch because my dad bought some in Vietnam when he was there. For graduation, I received a Bulova Caravelle Oceanagrapher, which I thought was a good watch but below Seiko and above Timex. I don't think I was unique in those opinions. I did know about Omega because my godfather had a gold Omega, which I thought was the coolest watch because it was so thin. It was a time only watch. To me, Rolex and Omega were kind of like Canon and Nikon, or Ford and Chevy. Similar but one had a better following and the other was the underdog but just as good.

Back then I bought Canons, F-1, then A-1 and lenses, which were more than a Rolex. A Rolex was a waste of money.

The way we consider luxury watches today, we think of Patek, etc... WIS don't consider Rolex (or Omega) real luxury watches. But for the general public, they probably don't know anything about Patek and the others, they just know Rolex and think of it as the top tier.

I don't know how widely held this was or if it is truly applied to the general public, but this was my lived experience.

Ps. I remember the Apollo program and it was one of the significant current events of my time, although below the Vietnam/American war.

@pdxleaf
Your post reminds me of an episode of "Antiques Roadshow" where a guy who was stationed in Germany in the early-mid 1970s bought a Paul Newman Daytona from the PX and then left it in a drawer. He almost had a heart attack when the appraiser told him how much it was worth today 😁

@pdxleaf
Your post reminds me of an episode of "Antiques Roadshow" where a guy who was stationed in Germany in the early-mid 1970s bought a Paul Newman Daytona from the PX and then left it in a drawer. He almost had a heart attack when the appraiser told him how much it was worth today 😁

gatorcpa

= 1 month earning... Nowadays I would say it would equal to 1500/2000 euros. I don't think he earned a fortune as a soldier.
My father was offered a classic Omega for their wedding. They were teachers begining their careers and it was a lot of money for my mum. I guess it would be 800 euros. At the time it must have been almost a month.
Edited:

@pdxleaf

Is that the one where he said, "And to think I almost bought a camera instead!"

a point of comparison

old Pie Pan deluxe catalogue. Price was 1290 francs. The minimum legal salary in France was about 350 french francs a month so 3,68 x minimum income. in 2024 it's 1400 euros. That would do 5125 euros for one of the most luxury model. The official price for a solid gold globemaster is now 27 000 euros.

a "basic" Seamaster Deville date was only 225 francs. So the price of a basic hamilton nowadays. 665 in solid gold.
Edited:

gatorcpa
Thanks for posting this, it’s great viewing. His reaction on finding out his watch is worth a small fortune is just lovely.

Is that the one where he said, "And to think I almost bought a camera instead!"
Haha. I'm not sure. Don't know what vintage Nikon and Canon are worth these days. I dare say it's not as a much as a Paul Newman Daytona!

Most, not all of my pals think spending $200 for a watch is excessive. So a Baltic would be a luxury brand to them. Loved the other night when an out of town friend showed me his new GS Spring Drive GMT at dinner.

holy crap
Wow. If I'm reading this correctly, one could have bought a Speedmaster CK2998 with just 1.2 times the minimum monthly wage? Incredible!