Forums Latest Members

What watches should I consider for a birthyear watch purchase? looking for circa 1970

1. shempeth Jun 22, 2014

New to Vintage watches. Just wanted some more knowledgeable folks to list out a few good makes and models from this era for style and/or value retention.
    I tend to not like gold or more flashy watches. I'm liking Omegas I see from that era but am open to others.

2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 22, 2014

What makes me think "Speedmaster" might be the favorite model? Otherwise get ready for a "Connie" ;-)

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 22, 2014

Maybe I'm missing something here?
    What year were you born?

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 22, 2014

..or a Zenith Primero (1969-74):D

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 22, 2014

+ 1 on the El Primero, it all depends on your budget.

6. CdnWatchDoc Jun 22, 2014

Likely "circa 1970", although being born is usually a yes/no, black/white sort of thing...

Speedy, Seamaster, Constellation are all very good watches from that era, and are relatively inexpensive. I agree with Stewart; if you have the budget, get a Zenith. Rolex or Tudor from this era are pretty down to earth as well, but the former will run you a bit, especially if you are looking at sport models like a Sub or a Daytona. Happy hunting!

7. Ferik Jun 22, 2014

1973 Speedmaster Mark III Flightmaster style case

[​IMG]

Privateday7 likes this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 22, 2014

Ah, lengthy titles cut off on Tapatalk/iPhone app. Thanks.

9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 22, 2014

Stainless steel (non-gold) vintage 1970 watches tend not to move much up or down as far as value. However, should your interests change and you want to sell your watch, the market (buyers) tend to be more interested in Rolex. Some watches will be in demand like Omega Speedmaster and diving models, Zenith El Primero chronos, etc., but difficult to determine if there are any values out there.
    At the risk of being ostracized from my beloved Omega Forum family, if I have no bias (and I do and it's Speedmaster Moonwatch), I would suggest a Rolex 5513 in as nice and original condition as you can find. Be prepared to research the heck out of that!

10. NT931 Jun 23, 2014

Speedmasters have been mentioned. Couple of affordable possibilities include Connies (a cal 751 chronometer currently on sale in this forum), or Seamaster 'Sparkle' dials from 1968-1970, examples here , here and here. The latter two are 36mm in size which is a little larger than the usual vintage size. Alternatively, vintage SS 1970 Datejusts (36mm size) also frequently come on the market but more expensive, plus buying vintage Rolexes can be a minefield too.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 23, 2014

751/752 Seamaster / Constellation is always a good bet as is a Speedmaster

12. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jun 23, 2014

I am actually thinking of moving this one on, it is a 1969 but if you were born in 70 you were likely made in 69 too! Drop me a pm if you have any interest.

23june14 c.jpg

rolex boxes.jpg

larryganz likes this.
  13. larryganz The cable guy Jun 24, 2014

That's a nice watch - I inherited the exact same from my grandfather around 1987 which he bought in the early 70's, but it was stolen in 2011. Too bad it's not a '62...

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 24, 2014

Don't forget the Dynamic 1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 24, 2014

For me, the obvious choice is the speedmaster from 1970 with engraved case back, produced for only a short time in between the smooth back and the stamped medalion.

16. Mathlar Jun 24, 2014

As a fellow avid fan and owner, I'd have to agree. Alex (Dablitzer) has one in very nice condition up for sale on the forum right now:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/exce...eedmaster-first-watch-worn-on-the-moon.14156/

Case production date '69, movement in the year range '70-'72 somewhere, probably towards the end of that.. it's definitely "circa 1970!".

17. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jun 24, 2014

Italian Market chronostop, 69
    [​IMG]
    or Speedmaster 125
    [​IMG]
    both seem to be climbing in value

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 24, 2014

That's my choice,too ( My birthyear is 1970)
    8 Speedy69 face LSt v2 LR.jpg 8B Speedy69 case back LSt LR.jpg

19. Siac Jun 24, 2014

I have no issue with it, but forum responses are a funny old thing at times aren't they... I asked the same question for 1971 and the advice was "don't do it", "you'll miss out on lots of nice watches if you do it that way".

This thread has been helpful though.

May be it's 1971!!?? LOL Was that just a bad year (my Mum seems to constantly remind me of the pain she endured!!) ;)

20. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 24, 2014

Somewhere around 1971 (earlier), Omega began designing and manufacturing movements with economy in mind. This was done I believe to better position themselves economically during the "quartz invasion" from Japan.
    Therefore, most Omega-designed and/or built movements from this period began to show the inevitable "shortcuts" of economical design. Years later, some of these shortcuts are seen as compromises regarding accuracy, dependability and reliability, affecting perceived longevity and therefore collector desire.
    I am not aware of any evidence published to support this (perception or fact), but I haven't researched it.
    The Speedmaster caliber 861 was
    also designed with economy in mind (for example, using a Delrin [synthetic] brake in the early 70's, and a cam-lever design using pressed steel levers). However, the 861 was not an Omega-manufactured movement. Years have shown the Lemania-based 861 to be a durable, reliable movement with increased accuracy over its predecessor. It's "shortcuts" have come to be accepted by many (most?) collectors. Even the Delrin brake is (sometimes reluctantly) accepted as an improvement in function.
    That is why you will see many Speedmaster recommendations. I believe Rolex didn't change their manufacturing process, having found a way to manufacture movements that were simple and poorly finished yet highly accurate and reliable (and as the years have shown, durable). You've seen some Rolex recommendations here including mine for a 5513 (which is a Submariner no-date for those unfamiliar with the reference).
    Even Patek Philippe and other "top" houses were using F. Piguet and Jaeger-LeCoultre movements in this era! Although I think few would argue the quality of these movements in the hands of PP/AP/V&C.
    Before this gets too long, I might add a recommendation for a stainless steel IWC Yacht Club. Superb movement (IWC cal. 8541), but the C-case style may not appeal to you as it does to many of us.
    Good luck, sorry for the length of my post...