What to do in California om july

The only thing Northern California does better than Southern California is weed, not Mexican food (not ever).
Fight me.

I knew this post was coming :D

At the bus stop, 3 p.m., SHARP!

Like 2
The PCH is well worth the drive. Especially the parts between Big Sur and SF. That in itself can be an undertaking. Would be the main trip and not a side trip. The road is fairly stable in the summer. In the winter parts of it fall into the ocean. They call it devils slide for a reason.

Yes, a lot of our trip was in Big Sur for sure, the landscape was amazing. We drove through this one housing community that was also a golf course, right on the ocean where the two tide planes meet and you can see it out in the ocean. We ate at some fancy restaurant in the woods and it was a crazy experience for sure, dining amongst the ancient trees.

So yes, the PCH is the thing to do if you have a long time to enjoy it at its various extremes.

Like 1
If you make it to Monterey, go to Compagno's Market & Deli. Unbelievably great sandwich shop, cakes too. Anyone who was stationed at DLI will tell you it's their favorite memory of being in Monterey. I went back 20 years later with my kids and they agreed it was awesome.

Like 1
You’re litterally in my town.
What dates and what interests? Food wants etc.

I am guessing this was meant for me?

I am staying in Newport Beach the whole of july. As of interest its like I mentioned in the first post; nature, history, museums, cars and motorcycles, music( heavy, punk and ska). I like all kinds of food.

Many good suggestions already. I'll add Torrey Pines state park -- a bit north of San Diego and very beautiful. Joshua Tree is also not far, but I've never been and am not sure if July is the best time to go.

My wife has been clamoring to visit Thai town in LA (mostly for the food), which is supposed to be terrific. If you like oysters, I've never had better than those from the CA coast -- you can shuck your own at some of the farms, which can be a fun stop along the highway.

Like 1
Many good suggestions already. I'll add Torrey Pines state park -- a bit north of San Diego and very beautiful. Joshua Tree is also not far, but I've never been and am not sure if July is the best time to go.

My wife has been clamoring to visit Thai town in LA (mostly for the food), which is supposed to be terrific. If you like oysters, I've never had better than those from the CA coast -- you can shuck your own at some of the farms, which can be a fun stop along the highway.

Just chiming in to say that I LOVE Joshua Tree, but it could easily be 110 degrees in July. Though, as they say, it's a dry heat!

I am guessing this was meant for me?

I am staying in Newport Beach the whole of july. As of interest its like I mentioned in the first post; nature, history, museums, cars and motorcycles, music( heavy, punk and ska). I like all kinds of food.

ok well home of a few important bands lol. If your lucky you could spot Bad Religion members or Social D members grabbing coffee off of 17th street.

OC fair is going on and the music selection is pretty good. Also you never know who is at the The Observatory on Harbour Blvd.

I’ve not seen Billy from Greenday but he lives here as well.

factory Records is a gem if you like old school vinyl.

Peterson car museam is up in LA and pretty epic about an hour away. OC Cars and Coffee is the original C and C and is on its 4 or 5 th location at this point. There are multiple events in Newport every Sunday morning for car meets. Not sure if any big exotic shows are up. But the OG Cand C is pretty amazing.

hang out in a Sunday morning you might see a Tucker, an xk 140, a Griffith, or even more rare while sipping your coffee. You like vintage Porsches? Well European Collectibles is the premier place for them, and open to the public.

American Iron? Donut Deralicts 5 miles up the road in Huntington Beach is huge every Saturday.

booze? Go to Hi-Times a world famous wine and liquor store. Local Family owned. If it’s in the US they should have it.

where are you staying in Newport? The Peninsula? Balboa isle? Heights? Coast? CDM? Or in Costa Mesa?

lots of aviation history as well some national architectural landmarks as well.

idk it’s a pretty great place for music and cars and food… oh and booze lol.

you ask and I can recommend.

I also hold a coffee conclave every Sunday morning with an ex Porsche crew chief, a former formula racer, former hot rod magazine editor, a British car nut or 3 lol and the car convo is pretty good.

Like 4
I’m confused by all this recommendations that are 8 plus hour drives away lol.

mine nothing is farther then 1 hour.

Like 5
The only thing Northern California does better than Southern California is weed, not Mexican food (not ever).

Fight me.
Hahaha. Being from Southern California (currently living here again) and having lived in Northern California, I can confirm this is 100% correct.

I’m quite confused by this as well. For those of us here in the LA area a 20-30 mile drive can be quite a time commitment. Edit: The farther away recommendations are great but would be a considerable drive.

I’m definitely going to second the @Foo2rama recommendation of the Petersen Museum for anyone into cars/motorcycles. They have an exhibit for each right now as well, as the We Are Porsche exhibit. Saw a few weekends back and it did not disappoint. So well curated/layer out and it also happens to be their largest exhibit to date.

I also hold a coffee conclave every Sunday morning with an ex Porsche crew chief, a former formula racer, former hot rod magazine editor, a British car nut or 3 lol and the car convo is pretty good.
How does the invite to this Cars and Coffee work? ;)
Edited:

Hahaha. Being from Southern California (currently living here again) and having lived in Northern California, I can confirm this is 100% correct.

I’m quite confused by this as well. For those of us here in the LA area a 20-30 mile drive can be quite a time commitment. Edit: The farther away recommendations are great but would be a considerable drive.

I’m definitely going to second the @Foo2rama recommendation of the Petersen Museum for anyone into cars/motorcycles. They have an exhibit for each right now as well, as the We Are Porsche exhibit. Saw a few weekends back and it did not disappoint. So well curated/layer out and it also happens to be their largest exhibit to date.

How does the invite to this Cars and Coffee work? ;)

Pm me ;)

Foo mentioned Donuts and Derelicts. Some cool stuff shows up, but get there early. 8:00 AM is waaay to late.

If you fancy an afternoon cocktail or two, rent a bicycle, hit the beach bike path and go bar hopping in HB or Newport.

Both Newport and Huntington Beach are are awesome on July 4. HB has the largest parade west of the Mississippi.

If you want to see some coastal nature, take a hike in Crystal Cove/El Moro Canyon.

Like 2
Re-emphasizing the desirability of visiting the Peterson automotive museum in Los Angeles (includes plenty of motorcycles too). Go for the “Full” facility tour, and buy tickets in advance as the Summertime is peak season.

Like 1
Just chiming in to say that I LOVE Joshua Tree, but it could easily be 110 degrees in July. Though, as they say, it's a dry heat!

Another vote for Joshua Tree National park.

Stop at Temecula on the way back
https://www.texaslilsmesquitegrill.com/

Like 3
ok well home of a few important bands lol. If your lucky you could spot Bad Religion members or Social D members grabbing coffee off of 17th street.

OC fair is going on and the music selection is pretty good. Also you never know who is at the The Observatory on Harbour Blvd.

I’ve not seen Billy from Greenday but he lives here as well.

factory Records is a gem if you like old school vinyl.

Peterson car museam is up in LA and pretty epic about an hour away. OC Cars and Coffee is the original C and C and is on its 4 or 5 th location at this point. There are multiple events in Newport every Sunday morning for car meets. Not sure if any big exotic shows are up. But the OG Cand C is pretty amazing.

hang out in a Sunday morning you might see a Tucker, an xk 140, a Griffith, or even more rare while sipping your coffee. You like vintage Porsches? Well European Collectibles is the premier place for them, and open to the public.

American Iron? Donut Deralicts 5 miles up the road in Huntington Beach is huge every Saturday.

booze? Go to Hi-Times a world famous wine and liquor store. Local Family owned. If it’s in the US they should have it.

where are you staying in Newport? The Peninsula? Balboa isle? Heights? Coast? CDM? Or in Costa Mesa?

lots of aviation history as well some national architectural landmarks as well.

idk it’s a pretty great place for music and cars and food… oh and booze lol.

you ask and I can recommend.

Thanks a lot foo! I will check it out. I am staying in Santiago Drive close to the harbor.

Thank you everybody who took their time to answer this post, its greatly apreciated. We are busy packing now and we are leaving for California om sunday. See you soon yanks!;)

Like 2
Thanks a lot foo! I will check it out. I am staying in Santiago Drive close to the harbor.

Thank you everybody who took their time to answer this post, its greatly apreciated. We are busy packing now and we are leaving for California om sunday. See you soon yanks!;)

your less then a KM from me the. Lol.

pm me if you want and I’ll give you my contact info.

So my suggestion for the Guggenheim Museum was out of line? :D:D

So my suggestion for the Guggenheim Museum was out of line? :D:D

only a 6-8 hour flight ;)

I don't know if this was mentioned before or if you have time left but a cruise out to Catalina Island is well worth the while