Forums Latest Members

What Makes One Speedmaster Model More Water Resitant than Another?

1. d3adrock Nov 4, 2020

Hi, in looking at the special 50th enamel dial aniversarry edition speedmasters and noticing that they have much greater water resistance than the regular speedmaster (100m vs 50m) yet they look like they share the same case and construction. My question is what makes the 100m speedmaster more resistant than the regular one? Extra gaskets? Different case/pusher construction? Or are they both the same and only the number has changed for marketing reasons?

Thanks!

StuartG and schoolboy like this.
  2. schoolboy Nov 4, 2020

Im no expert, but one difference is that the one you’re talking about uses a sapphire crystal instead of hesalite like the “basic” Speedmaster

I wonder if that could be it

Thrasher36 and Foo2rama like this.
  3. d3adrock Nov 4, 2020

I don't think so because the base saphire sandwhich shares the same water resitance with the hesalite.

schoolboy likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 4, 2020

Niad lock caseback, sapphire, non display back

5. d3adrock Nov 4, 2020

I'm a bit confused, which one are you reffering too? What is the niad lock caseback? Thanks!

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 4, 2020

If only there was a website that allowed you to type in a subject and get answers...

7. schoolboy Nov 4, 2020

Doesn’t niad just mean screw down?

8. schoolboy Nov 4, 2020

Example of a naid crown

15B2B0DA-5A32-4924-AF73-BA2B924048BF.jpeg
  9. Evitzee Nov 4, 2020

No, a NAIAD case back has a different mechanical sealing system than a standard screwback (a NAIAD doesn't 'screw down'). It offers the advantage of a perfectly oriented caseback. Important for something like the Apollo 11 and Snoopy.

Edited Nov 5, 2020
    janice&fred likes this.
  10. 77deluxe Nov 4, 2020

Regular servicing?

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 4, 2020

That’s not a caseback. Do a little research they brought the name back for case backs

12. d3adrock Nov 5, 2020

I think thats a bit rude. In the same space you told me to look elsewhere you simply could have answered my question. Your original answer was also quite vague since you simply mentioned features of some watch without specifying which, or what those features had to do with water restance. Given the confusion thats followed your answer it couldn't have hurt anything to clarify instead of being cryptic.

schoolboy likes this.
  13. schoolboy Nov 5, 2020

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Sorry I couldn’t be of any help.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 5, 2020

I am assuming you are referring to the ref. 31133425001001 from 2007? If so, this has a regular screw on case back with the sapphire crystal for the display back, plus the sapphire main crystal. So none of the NAIAD side discussion is relevant here.

It is rated for 10 bar, and it doesn't use screw down crown or pushers. The sapphire crystals for the front and back of the watch are the same as those used for regular sapphire sandwich Speedmasters, and even the case back gasket is the same. The only difference I can see is in the part numbers for the crown and pushers. The crown may be different just because the movement is different and likely this means the stem threads are different - this uses the manually wound Cal. 3201, which is an F. Piguet based movement with vertical clutch, so not at all related to the Lemania movements.

So the differences are not much to be honest. For those who faint at the thought of any regular Speedmaster (rated for 5 bar) going near water, the reality is that these have a lot of safety margin in them, and I would not be surprised if only very minor changes are needed to take these from 5 to 10 bar water resistance.

Cheers, Al

Fickle, Thrasher36, Kmart and 5 others like this.
  15. d3adrock Nov 5, 2020

Yes that is the one I an reffering to. I'm wondering what the difference is abd In the most extreme and optimistic case would it be possible to apply that the regular speedmaster?

16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 5, 2020

An interesting topic, esecially since we saw the time-period photographs of Mercury astronaut Walter Schirra SCUBA diving in his own pool, wearing his personal Omega Speedmaster CK2998-4 ... and later on, NASA divers wearing a Speedmaster chronograph assisting astronauts training for EVA in the large NASA pool ( NBL = Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory ) at JSC in Houston Texas :thumbsup:

Thrasher36, nobbylon and schoolboy like this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 5, 2020

well I did explicitly state niad lock caseback... and each of those features could have an impact on WR.

also watches are one of the last things that you need to know how to research things. Being a new member and just asking questions without a little research at least one person will call you out.

I was pointing you in the right direction.
    So now you should understand the old niad crowns and what they mean, as well as the new niad casebacks and what those mean and what models have them.

for the record I will spend hours looking things up for people that have hit a personal wall in their search.

I’ve dug through thousands of pictures to verify one small detail multiple times, I’ve dug into nasa archives that are not indexed trying to find one piece of info.

Edited Nov 5, 2020
  18. d3adrock Nov 5, 2020

You make a great presumption on me to assume I've done no research.
    I only ever post questions when I've absolutely exhausted all other avenues of research.

In regards to pointing me in the right dirrection, you have not. What you did do was post a list of features with no reference either to what watch the belonged, or to their relation to water resistance.

The niad lock caseback which you mentioned isnt relevant in the first place since it's not even present on the models under discussion, and even when it is present, contributes nothing to water resitance. (Perhaps it is you who should do more research before posting)

In addition, I was already well aware of what a niad crown was and failed to see how it applied in the current topic.

To reiterate, you could have easily explained what you meant and actually contributed to the resolution of the question at hand. Instead you chose to take the same time it would have taken to tell me to look for answers to your cryptically sinplistic reply elswhere.

19. d3adrock Nov 5, 2020

What do you mean by this?

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 5, 2020

You take great presumption on me to assume that I am in fact an asshole.

No, it took significantly less time as I would have had to look up that exact watch compare it against a list of things I know affect the WR then explain each feature and how it applies. In this case most likely about 4 paragraphs.

perhaps if you had spent some time to explain what your research had shown I might have taken more time.

Edited Nov 5, 2020