What do you think of this vintage Speedy? Worth pursuing?

A small local jeweler has this vintage Speedmaster for sale at a really great price. I am no expert so I would like to hear the opinions of experts here. Here is what I know and don’t know:

1. I tried looking for the serial number to identify the watch. It is there, but the bottom of the lug is pretty scratched up and it makes the serial number practically unreadable.

2. I was only at the store for a few minutes so I couldn’t ask for the case back to be opened to I.D. the reference number or take pics of the movement.

3. According to the jeweler it was recently serviced at Omega. The crown winds perfectly and smoothly. The chrono hand and pushers work perfectly. From what I can tell the hands, pushers, crown, and bezel are new. The bezel should be DO90 but it is not. The jeweler said he has the service documents but could not find them at the moment. He agreed to call me when and if he does find them.

I have been doing business at this shop for years. The guy is very honest, but he doesn’t know much about this watch. He has had it in his shop for years and only recently decided to have it serviced and put it up for sale. Is this watch something that you would consider pursuing? If so, what should I know about it before going forward?

Any observations about what seems right or wrong will be greatly appreciated.

587F1B61-C361-48FC-B77E-DC3D7098D96C.jpeg

A vintage Speedmaster with the serial number on the lug? And that looks to be a modern 321 service dial? Sounds like a franken/put together.

However, for a proper evaluation/guidance, you’ll needs to share more photos and information.

Looks like a Franken. A non-professional dial (which could indicate 105.002 or 105.003) in a non-straight lug case.

Many other problems like the insert that you've already mentioned. I would avoid.

From your description and one photo it looks like a complete mish mash

A vintage Speedmaster with the serial number on the lug? And that looks to be a modern 321 service dial? Sounds like a franken/put together.

However, for a proper evaluation/guidance, you’ll needs to share more photos and information.

Ah! Perhaps that is why we couldn’t find it under the lug. It is not there and we thought the scratches were hiding it.

Looks like a Franken. A non-professional dial (which could indicate 105.002 or 105.003) in a non-straight lug case.

Many other problems like the insert that you've already mentioned. I would avoid.

I did notice the lugs were not straight, but I wasn’t sure if some late variant of the .003 may have featured curved lugs. Guess not huh?

Seems to me that this watch received a full restoration service where it got new dial, hands, bezel, and most likely pushers, crown, hesalite. It might even have received a new case for all we know.

Are there any parts left from the service?

Serial number is on the movement. But as mentioned, it's visually apparent that the watch is put-together.

Seems to me that this watch received a full restoration service where it got new dial, hands, bezel, and most likely pushers, crown, hesalite. It might even have received a new case for all we know.

Are there any parts left from the service?

I don’t know. I will have to ask the jeweler. Since he can’t track down the service paperwork at the moment I’m not sure he will be able to find the parts. I don’t know that the “paperwork” will provide many clues. But the parts would. When my personal Speedy was serviced by Omega they returned the parts in a small plastic envelope, but the paperwork only consisted of the bill.

Would Omega actually replace a case?

It really comes down to what you call "a really great price". If serviced and it runs well, it could make a decent daily. Ultimately, the lower the price the better it starts to look.

It really comes down to what you call "a really great price". If serviced and it runs well, it could make a decent daily. Ultimately, the lower the price the better it starts to look.

Low 3’s

Low 3’s

Not a collector's watch by any means but if you're looking for a well made watch to wear and enjoy— you'll have a hard time doing better at that price. And you won't have anyone in the real world tell you other than "Awesome Speedy"!

Not a collector's watch by any means but if you're looking for a well made watch to wear and enjoy— you'll have a hard time doing better at that price. And you won't have anyone in the real world tell you other than "Awesome Speedy"!

Since I already own a Speedy, I was hoping to restore this one with the correct parts. Although not original, it would still be cool. However, if the case is wrong then it’s a non starter… and I haven’t even seen the movement yet.

Since I already own a Speedy, I was hoping to restore this one with the correct parts. Although not original, it would still be cool. However, if the case is wrong then it’s a non starter… and I haven’t even seen the movement yet.

Restoring a Franken is a risky/costly endeavor and no matter how far and wide you go to source correct parts, you still have a put together watch in the end.

So not one to pursue yourself, although it could be a decent buy for someone on a budget looking for a first Speedy.
Edited:

As a hobby or an interesting project, that’s fair enough but it’ll almost always cost more to buy a watch like this and source/buy parts to restore than the cost of simply buying a correct watch in the first place.
Also, no matter the time/monetary cost in sourcing period correct parts, the fact is they often won’t ‘hang’ together. They’ll have aged differently under different conditions and the finished watch may well cost much more than it’s worth and frankly, be unattractive.

As others have said, this is not a vintage watch, but a modded modern Speedmaster. It has either had the dial replaced with one from the older Broad Arrow Speedmaster “1957 Replica” (and yes, that was the official Omega designation back around 2000). Or else it is that Speedmaster with replaced hands and bezel.

What does the case back look like?

If the price is low and you don’t mind non-originality, it could be a decent watch. But it all depends on the price.

Restore it to what? We don't even know what it is.

Not even a vintage dial…
A small local jeweler has this vintage Speedmaster for sale at a really great price so I think he lied to me. I am definatley not an expert so I would like to hear the opinions of anyone that casually knows speedmasters here. Here is what I know and don’t know:

1. I tried looking for the serial number to identify the watch. It is there, but the bottom of the lug is pretty scratched up and it makes the serial number practically unreadable. Which told me the midcase is not vintage and is less then 20 years old at most. I for some reason forgot to note what caseback was on the watch.

2. I was only at the store for a few minutes so I couldn’t ask for the case back to be opened to I.D. the reference number or take pics of the movement. But I suspect it is a modern movement

3. According to the jeweler it was recently serviced at Omega. The crown winds perfectly and smoothly. The chrono hand and pushers work perfectly. From what I can tell the hands, pushers, crown, Dial, and bezel are new. And the Midcase is definately modern.

I have been doing business at this shop for years. The guy is very honest, but he doesn’t know much about this watch. He has had it in his shop for years and only recently decided to have it serviced and put it up for sale. Which is a weird story as he is a watchmaker and recently had it serviced since he could not service it as he is a watch maker really makes me start to question if he is actually truthfull. Is this watch something that you would consider pursuing? If so, what should I know about it before going forward? I really should have noted the price before asking that last question.
587F1B61-C361-48FC-B77E-DC3D7098D96C.jpeg

IFIFY

Since I already own a Speedy, I was hoping to hotrod this one with the cool looking parts I could find on ebay. Although not original, it would still be cool. However, if the case is wrong then at the right price it might be an interesting starting point… and I haven’t even seen the movement yet.

and IFIFY again.
Edited:

I am sorry I have sinned, but I couldn't help myself.