What are your top ranking factors for a vintage purchase?

When you're picking out a vintage Omega or other brand watch, what are your top ranking factors when making your purchase? I've tried to capture as many categories as I could think of.

Authenticity
Cleanliness
Accuracy
Rarity
Impulsivity
Affordability
Reliability
Repairability
Resale

For me, almost always, it's Accuracy #1. If it's not a chronometer, I'm asking myself why. Then I'd say Authenticity and Affordability eliminate a lot of picks along the way.

1. The design of the watch
2. Authenticity
3. Dial condition
4. Case condition
5. Rarity
6. Affordability
6. History

what’s of less importance to me is the accuracy, as this can be fixed if there’s something wrong with that, but you can’t fix a damaged dial while maintaining authenticity,

Like 9
1/ That I like it.
2/ That it's available.
3/ That I have the cash required handy.
I couldn't really give a fat rats arse about much else!

Like 6
Well, it's not cleanliness...

Like 3
1) I want it
2) I have the funds
3) I feel I can trust the seller

Like 6
2. Authenticity
3. Dial condition
4. Case condition
5. Rarity
6. Affordability
6. History

what’s of less importance to me is the accuracy, as this can be fixed if there’s something wrong with that, but you can’t fix a damaged dial while maintaining authenticity,

Nice list. I’d echo it, but for me, I don’t care about rarity. Especially with pocket watches, big production runs = greater availability of spare parts.

2. Authenticity
3. Dial condition
4. Case condition

5. Affordability
6. History
7 (but also #1) trusted seller

Like 4
2. Authenticity
3. Dial condition
4. Case condition
5. Rarity
6. Affordability
6. History

Agree strongly with this order of prioritization.

"overall matching patina"

(José, aka perezkope)

(I would never buy a newly painted / overpolished oldtimer e.g.)
Edited:

I go for the cheapest rattiest group of rusted parts I can find. Then I spend way to much searching for more part assortments. Rinse and repeat.

I got a complete watch recently and it does not have the same feeling as sorting through groups of parts, then assembling something that ticks, what has not ticked in a long time.

I would probably though agree with those who note the design of the watch has a lot to do with the attractiveness of it.

Condition also factors into it. While it would be fun to have something in nice shape. (and I have some decent ones from decades ago.) I have really been enjoying cleaning up the rusted parts.

Like 3
I have to fall in love with it.
It has to be fairly priced.
It has to be original condition, no redials or polishes.
It has to have minimal patina, as close to mint condition as possible.
1950's to 1970's preferred.
Not modern quartz - early quartz is OK.
Obscure tech, e.g. a hummer, electric watch, autolub.

I used to acquire anything that took my fancy. Now I've decided to be more selective. A new watch has either got to be a stunner, or a cheap bit of fun. I've too much mid-priced (£200 to £500) mediocrity in my collection, I don't need more.

Like 2
Condition
Condition
Condition

Price - I have happily overpaid for a excellent example (which has payed off)

Seller - Have walked away from many due to the vibe

Resale - effort I have put into finding the best example possible I am usually well aware of what a watch is worth so never worry about resale.

Like 2
While condition is paramount,

balance between PRICE and condition cannot be ignored, IMHO.

So in some instances when case condition is less important in my opinion - I do try to focus on the dial condition most.

Because in my opinion, true unpolished and slightly polished - difficult to distinguish

Also due to improvements in polishing / laser welding techniques, I think that it is becoming harder to see what is recut case and unpolished cases, especially in vintage rolex and such.

But some instances, case condition would also be very important too, it would be dependent on a case by case basis (no pun intended).

So what I'm trying to say is, I basically put dial condition above all the rest.

and then economical / financial concerns come in and I need to balance out with all the rest of the factors.

All things mentioned so far are important factors in the purchase, and subject to personal preference. But ultimately, the MOST important factor in ANY purchase of ANYTHING is PRICE. You might of course be willing to pay more for something because any of these, say condition ( I wouldn't consider that "overpaying"), but there IS a limit to how high you will go.
Example: A NOS but otherwise "generic" steel Connie Pie Pan. In average condition you might pay $1000, but for NOS maybe you would pony up $3000, or even $5000. But would you pay $100,000? Of course not.

Like 1