Forums Latest Members

What are you eating for dinner tonight?

1. Au79 Aluminium Feb 20, 2019

Hamachi with Orion draft last night. Ramen after that.

IMG_20190219_194411.jpg
    Omegafanman and Steve88M3 like this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 20, 2019

Had a bit to eat on my last trip to Australia...

Had a very ice lunch at a winery, and my choice was Skippy the bush kangaroo (or one of his relatives at least)...very tasty:

[​IMG]

This is what my wife had - some sort of fish salad:

[​IMG]

Her brother had fish also:

[​IMG]

Had some Aussie staples, like meat pies:

[​IMG]

Snags on bread:

[​IMG]

I love my salad sandwiches, and this one was tops:

[​IMG]

This was a close second:

[​IMG]

Been getting our fish and chips from this shop for 30 years, and my wife's family even longer:

[​IMG]

Flake with a scallop, fries, and a dim sim for good measure:

[​IMG]
    Of course I watched Sharkwater 2 on the plane on the way back and felt a little guilty about choosing the flake...:whipped: ::facepalm2::

Speaking of plane food, most of it was great - this is the only photo I took but smoked duck breast was fantastic:

[​IMG]

One of my wife's relatives made some nice chicken curry:

[​IMG]

And her aunt made a wonderful panna cotta with poached pears:

[​IMG]

More later...

Omegafanman, tamura and George.A like this.
  3. Au79 Aluminium Feb 25, 2019

My better half and I were at Smorgasburg LA yesterday. Had few things to eat. All were very good and would recommend them. If you are in the LA area on any given Sunday, get there early (they open at 10AM) to beat the lines and get some grub. You won't be disappointed.

First, we got a dozen of freshly shucked Kumamoto oysters from The Jolly Oyster. They were cheap and very fresh. Obligatory beer accompaniment which was Dos Equis draft. I loved my 10AM beer and oysters!

IMG_20190224_103720.jpg IMG_20190224_103736.jpg

We also got this lobster garlic noodles from Lobsterdamus. Don't let the ordinary looks fool you. It was seasoned very well and tasty. IMG_20190224_101811.jpg

Also got this Hawaiian garlic shrimp plate from Shrimp Daddy. It was little too heavily sauced and not as good as Geovanni's truck in Oahu (which I am sure Shrimp Daddy tried to emulate) but it was on par with other garlic shrimp I had in the past. IMG_20190224_103722.jpg

We were getting full so we got some coffee and this bubble waffles from Yellow Business. We both are not too crazy about sweets so we just got it plain with some powered sugar dusting. Very good.
    IMG_20190224_111809.jpg
    On to our next gastronomical adventure, whatever that maybe...

nttisch23 and Steve88M3 like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2019

More food from down under...in Melbourne we found a little place that had great food - Magic Mountain Saloon. Had BBQ chicken stir fry, with fried rice, and caramelized onion roti...

[​IMG]

Note the lighting in the place was very dark so that's edited and was tastier than the photos might imply...

At one winery we had a few plates of food to share - quiche was the star of this one, plus a small salad:

[​IMG]

The cheese plate:

[​IMG]

The meat and cheese plate:

[​IMG]

At yet another winery we had a snack before we hit the road. Bread with cheese, a pot of house made pâté, nice olive oil, and a jelly that I can't recall - think it was figs maybe:

[​IMG]

Went to a Spanish place and let them feed us with various courses with plates to share around the table of about 15 people. Started with bread rubbed with tomato, plus some great ham, cold cuts, and cheese:

[​IMG]

Mushroom croquettes:

[​IMG]

Quail:

[​IMG]

Roasted red pepper with olive oil on it, and some very nice goat cheese:

[​IMG]

A pork dish, and also a potato dish:

[​IMG]

I didn't eat or take photos of the next two dishes - those were large prawns and calamari, so not my thing at all. Then to finish some churros with chocolate sauce, and a crème caramel:

[​IMG]

Great meal!

Au79 and KingCrouchy like this.
  5. Au79 Aluminium Feb 27, 2019

A friend took me out to Houston's Monday night. Had this Campfire Ribeye. Blackened with some sort of lightly sweetened coffee rub. Pretty tasty for a mid tier chain restaurant steak.

IMG_20190225_195052.jpg
    Edited Feb 27, 2019
    Steve88M3 likes this.
  6. Steve88M3 Feb 28, 2019

One of my guilty pleasures is a quick serve restaurant called Pepper Lunch. There is a sick joy in a cheap steak that by all accounts should not be good, but somehow is...!

Au79 likes this.
  7. Au79 Aluminium Feb 28, 2019

Since we are talking about guilty steak pleasures, I have to mention this. Denny's T bone steak. That is a steak that should never be good but for some odd reason, it is very satisfying to have. Especially for breakfast with eggs and hash browns. By the way, don't bother ordering medium rare. They all come out medium well regardless of how you order it. Yelp picture.

PSX_20190228_072555.jpg
    Omegafanman and Steve88M3 like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 3, 2019

Went to a hat sauce show yesterday and picked up a few things...

[​IMG]

Neither of the two above are hot, even though the peach jelly has Habanero's in it. But both are very tasty.

[​IMG]

Some heat and some with no real heat here. My wife doesn't have the heat tolerance that I do, but she does like some hot sauces. But the "not hot" sauces were mostly her picks.

I tried a lot of sauces yesterday, some cut with various ingredients, some with super hot chilis in them. I like the heat, but to me the flavour is more important, and I want to taste the flavour of the chili. Although I keep trying ghost pepper sauces and Carolina reaper sauces, I keep going back to the Habanero based sauces - I just like the teste of the chili more.

mydeafcat likes this.
  9. watchcollect Mar 17, 2019

72724A87-737A-40E8-A9C0-A8FC1D05EBCE.jpeg

Pizza Sunday!
    48 hour dough
    -Black garlic, tapenade, oaxaca cheese and arugula.
    -Mozzarella

Edited Mar 17, 2019
  10. chronorobs Mar 18, 2019

Tuna Paella.

11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 18, 2019

@Archer - looks like quince jelly ;)

12. omegasaso12 Mar 18, 2019

Doesnt look special but mmmmm that was delicious meal.

20190317_140038.jpg

Omegafanman likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 18, 2019

Rather boring I'm afraid.

Tassie Atlantic Salmon cuts, air fried at 200ºC 8 minutes.
    Jacket spuds, quartered and steamed 12 minutes.
    Carrots, julienned and steamed 8 Minutes.
    Mini asparagus spears, steamed four minutes.

All thrown on a plate and side dressed with a nice tartare to match with the veg and fish.

A couple of glasses of chilled Paul Mas Marsanne to wash it down (cheap but palatable and great with mixed ingredients).

No photos I'm afraid, I'm like @STANDY, I eat food, I don't photograph it.

STANDY and Omegafanman like this.
  14. Omegafanman Mar 18, 2019

24 hours late but it was British beef Sunday...….

Picture 002.jpg
  15. AJwala Mar 18, 2019

A very typical indian food, rice, curry and lentils (dal). This is our staple food :)

Omegafanman likes this.
  16. Omegafanman Mar 18, 2019

You are making me hungry again......

343434.jpg
  17. AJwala Mar 18, 2019

Wow. Where is this? come to Nepal sometime! Amazing food here. Will be happy to show you around

18. Omegafanman Mar 18, 2019

This was @Maastricht but Indian and Bangladesh food is one of the most popular meals in the UK (well versions of it). For sure if I am ever planning a trip I will let you know. Always wanted to see Nepal. I have a picture somewhere of a great curry I had in Berlin. I will post it when/if I find it.

19. Omegafanman Mar 18, 2019

Here you go @AJwala - a cracking curry in Germany....

IMG_8894.JPG
    AJwala likes this.
  20. AJwala Mar 18, 2019

Yes please do let me know if you ever come. True indian food is very popular in Europe. Is it spicy for your taste?
    You seem regular as you have the right combination of curry and rice!

Omegafanman likes this.