What are the top few brands to look out for?

If there is one brand to top all watchbrands, Vostok needs to be named. Drop a Vostok on a Nautilus or a Calatrava and feel the build quality of a T-34 Tank in action.👍

1950's-1960's was the golden era of watch design imho and I think Omega was on top of their game during those years. I think 1970's Omega is a little overlooked but it's fun looking at the breadth of their design. The Constellation during mid 50's to early 70's is a good starting point and there may be no better resource online than this one:

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

Here is a portion of a Consumer’s Report article in watches from 1949.

upload_2020-8-22_11-14-34.jpeg

On the right is a relative ranking of brands at that time based on their expert’s opinion. Note that LeCoultre is conspicuously absent from this list, as it was just starting to be sold in the US market.

Evan

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa
Thanks, gatorcpa, that is highly informative. Notice how, though Omega is ranked rather high in 1948, the brands ranked as roughly equivalent, i.e., Gruen, Longines, Girard Perregaux and Concord, were all excellent brands with similarly elegant designs, and in general are much less costly as vintage collectibles today. I think the main difference is Omega's affiliation with NASA in the 1960s and early 1970s, though of course the brand has a long and illustrious history in addition to that.

Watched a video of a guy getting his Daytona appraised wich he bought in the 70s while he was enlisted. He bought it for 345$..... Got appraised at 500-700....thousand dollars!!!
I think I saw that video on youtube of this old man veteran.

I like Montblanc for dressy leather styles.
Montblanc watches were originally made by Baume & Mercier with ETA-based movements, so there was a link with Omega there, though Montblanc is part of the Richemont/Cartier group. Now, after beinnudged away by Swatch Group, Montblanc has its own facility, and still produces great watches imo, though they are no longer the bargain they were. Montblanc and coffee.jpg