Forums Latest Members
  1. Freddedw Nov 16, 2020

Hi! When i already have my dads old constallation, i want something that i want to use every day. And i have looked at old Seamasters, i really like the ones with numbers istead of bars on the dial, and the ones without calendar. But as i want a watch to use every day, i dont want a too expensive one but i don want to be fooled to buy a fake either. So What to look for? i found one claimed to be a -61 and i really like the numbers being not the regular 12,3,6,9. but the asking is about 600Euros. (auction) and one -54 but it has the small dial and im like maybe not... but as a helt does these ones look ok in originality and fait prize settings?

-61_3.jpg -61_2.jpg -54.jpg -54_2.jpg
  2. Freddedw Nov 16, 2020

missed a photo of the -54

-54_3.jpg
  3. onlyomega94 Nov 16, 2020

I've had my eye on the top one too (but don't worry, OP, I decided that now wasn't the time for me to buy yet another watch). The serial dates it to 1959 and produktion of the 2938 started in 1958, so that checks out. The cal. 284 is also correct for this reference. I really like the dial and the lume has aged beautifully. 600 dollars is not way of but by no means a bargain IMO. Movement looks clean but as always you should budget for a service when buying vintage if the service history is unknown. The case has seen some polishing but not too much for my personal taste.

The bottom watch I will let others comment on.

4. Freddedw Nov 16, 2020

Ok Are you from Sweden too? But ok then the watch seems correct, thats good. yes 600Euro is a of the high end for me, for a everyday watch. I did not bid that high, and it did not get sold, twice, due to reservation price was not met. But i really like to look of it, and if i keep it in shape it will probably hold its value i guess? But does they differ in demand(price) between the ones with numbers or bars? calendar or not? automatic or not?

5. onlyomega94 Nov 16, 2020

Nope, from Denmark so close. In fact when I go down to the harbour I can see Sweden across the water.

Regarding your question my answer would be that it depends. There is no general rule as it all comes down to condition and desirability. I think there were made a bit fever dials with arabic numerals but they are not rare. Automatics and calendar watches were generally pricier when originally sold but today it is a case of personal tase and many would prefer a no-calendar dial and vice versa. I would personally take a good condition manual wind no calendar over a worse condition automatic w. calendar any day.

Always hard to predict the future, but I see no reason why these old seamsters should go down in value.

6. onlyomega94 Nov 16, 2020

My seamaster 600 with arabic numerals says hi. I paid 215 euro for it so the good price watches are out there if you look.
    IMG_0207.JPG

7. Freddedw Nov 16, 2020

A Denmark, thats nice i just love Köpenhamn! Thats a nice one, one just like that was sold yesterday but i got a bit cold feet when the dial was redone, maybe a misstake... But i like when its original, it can be polished and fixed but when dial is repainted and it doesnt look like it was much damaged at all, but repainted anyway, some of the soul is lost. Dont get me wrong some dial is just awfully worn and if you fix them im ok with it because that its solid "new" all over but when you start fixin some parts of it so you se there is a difference and some is like new and some shows a bit of age its wrong. Well i shall buy one that i like anyway well se how it works out, and what my wallet thinks about it;-)

8. onlyomega94 Nov 16, 2020

Sure - many here would never consider buying a redial unless it is a very rare watch and the redial is extremely good. So if you are just starting your collection I would say that you should definitely shy away from redials. Happy hunting and please post pictures once you find your piece. :thumbsup:

Freddedw likes this.