What age determines if your Omega is vintage?

Posts
13,902
Likes
54,076
70s are generally considered the cutoff for vintage.
 
Posts
2,333
Likes
1,455
For me. Pre 70's. Thats when the movements really changed and not as attractive as the 56x and previous movements
 
Posts
5,369
Likes
24,513
I’ll show them what’s real vintage, as I stepped out of my 1988 car. My three 20something daughters are obsessed with vintage.

As I walked from the car, I allowed my Vansson leather jacket to open, revealing the original Ramones Shott t shirt. I had my favorite big E levis and 1980’s R Soles boots. Yes the jeans a little tight now but still.

All three girls, instead of greeting me with the adulation I expected, or even the admiration I deserved, glanced only briefly.


“Dad, it doesn’t count if you bought it new”


The dismissal of an offspring.

One of them literally bought an exact pair of levis like mine for £100.

So my stuff isn’t vintage until I die and they sell it.
 
Posts
49
Likes
179
For me it’s 70s for watches and 80s/90s for pop culture.
 
Posts
210
Likes
1,667
> I think the 80s/90s are considered neovintage so agree with the 70s

Likewise agree. And then in my view pre-1950s are antique watches.
 
Posts
365
Likes
1,675
Completely subjective and based on:
1) How old you are - some consider shit from the late 90s or early 00s vintage today, 25 years later
2) What your interests are.
 
Posts
240
Likes
693
Likewise agree. And then in my view pre-1950s are antique watches.
I think I nearly agree, though the fact that the Seamaster line was introduced in 1948 marks that as the 'vintage-but-not-antique' cutoff for me
 
Posts
158
Likes
128
Ha! That is funny!
i have many speedmasters all what i call vintage ( pre 1970) but only one i would fight you to the death for.

It was purchased secondhand from Jackson Jewellers in Watford on the 31 July 1979 with my very first wage packet from British Telecom (BT) i, in those days wages were paid in cash. And anyone who knows watford will know that the BT exchange and jacksons are about 100 yards apart!

I had admired the watch in the shop window for weeks whilst on lunch breaks and on that day when i was paid i walked in and offered £170 for the watch , it was £200 but my wages were £170, literally it was still in the brown envelope. They accepted the offer and i walked home all excited and proud of my purchase and that my parents would be proud!

How wrong i was they went mental !!! That i had wasted what was too them a monthly ( if not more ) mortgage payment on a watch!!!
 
Posts
2,605
Likes
2,787
I consider pre-ETA movements to be 'vintage', re-labeled ETA movements to be 'neo-vintage', and coax/more-in-house movements to be 'modern'. But I don't know if that is just me 😀
 
Posts
4,865
Likes
24,757
So at what point do these 70's vintage watches become antique? lol.
 
Posts
210
Likes
1,667
So at what point do these 70's vintage watches become antique? lol.
When replacement parts become impossibly hard to find? 😅 Or watchmakers refuse to service them for being too old? Or more likely, like @G___ proposed, maybe they already are to some 🫣...
 
Posts
2,605
Likes
2,787
When replacement parts become impossibly hard to find? 😅 Or watchmakers refuse to service them for being too old? Or more likely, like @G___ proposed, maybe they already are to some 🫣...
For the first part... that means anything in the current Rolex/Omega catalog, unless you're a certified watchmaker! IF you are counting ones Omega will still service, I got a feeling you gotta get pretty darn old!
 
Posts
240
Likes
693
So at what point do these 70's vintage watches become antique? lol.
By the '100-year rule', not until the 2070s haha