Forums Latest Members
  1. JustusKol Sep 7, 2019

Hey, I'm new in this forum and just started buying some vintage omega pieces. So I'm an absolute newby and I would love to hear your expertise:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-Sam...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This Seamaster seams to be in good condition and I love the design of the hands, indicators etc, BUT the R in Seamaster appears to be different than on a lot of other seamasters plus the hands don't really match what omega was mostly using on those seamasters. Yes, I've found some photos of omegas with those hands, but only quite a few. I'd love to hear your opinion before I finally make a transaction. :)

Thanks in advance.

s-l1600.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 7, 2019

The listing states the watch has been sold. Did you buy it?

3. JustusKol Sep 7, 2019

Yes, I'm the buyer, but I'm in good contact with the seller and I could easily cancel this transaction or return it as soon as I get it. He is not a private seller which means I have the right to return it within 14 days. (I got it for less than it was listed, 460 instead of 530 €)

4. JustusKol Sep 7, 2019

Any thoughts on the watch? Would highly appreciate it! :)

5. nkb Sep 7, 2019

There are lume markers on the hour indices and SWISS MADE text. Does that mean the lume is radium ? i.e. a pre-tritium model?

The second hand appears to be short

6. JustusKol Sep 7, 2019

The length of the second hand seems fine to me, but as you mentioned the markers, which I did not know happened to be lume markers: Those markers seem to be missing on the "3" and the "4", right (How bad is that?)? What also made me question the watch was, that I recognized there seems to be some sort of color on the first hand (probably lume color), but none on the second hand...

7. nkb Sep 7, 2019

To me the lume plots at 3 and 4 are smaller due to degradation which is normal for watches of this age.

The colour difference of the lume on the two hands may be again to age related degradation and/or patina IMO.

Also to me the "r" in Seamaster is fine .

Do you know the model reference number? If so then check this specimen's dial against against a reference

8. JustusKol Sep 7, 2019

The reference ref-14390-1 is mentioned in the title of the product. Found that on google: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Omega-Seama...5-vintage-watch-stainless-steel-/293121530519Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network the hands on that one are similar but it has a different crown. But the dial appears to be the same with a little patina on those lume markers. Thanks for your opinion so far. Hearing the word "normal" relieves me a lot :p

nkb likes this.
  9. nkb Sep 7, 2019

IMO the second hand is definitely too short on your watch. It is supposed to at least reach the minute track or just extend a little past the minute track.

Probably a replacement?

JustusKol likes this.
  10. nkb Sep 7, 2019

Compare it with the reference you found on google

11. JustusKol Sep 7, 2019

Ahh yep, I see your point! sorry, I'm also new to the english terminology and I just focused on the minute... On the other photos it's also a little too shiny in comparison to the minute and hour hand.

12. JustusKol Sep 7, 2019

Thank you! :) It's good to know what is original and what is not, but if the overall watch is fine, I am still happy with the purchase. Like the dial and hands more than on other vintage seamasters I've seen so far.

13. nkb Sep 7, 2019

The dial overall is in good condition and the case is quite sharp so not a bad purchase for this price. The main thing is you like it!
    Have you had a chance to see the inside caseback and movement? Always best to check those before making a purchase decision.

14. JustusKol Sep 7, 2019

Both look fine to me. I've seen movements with substantial scratches on it etc. but this one looks "clean". What do you think?

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg
  15. nkb Sep 7, 2019

I am not an expert on these manual wind movements but looks clean yes.

Did you use the serial number to date the watch and checked the calibre number (254) matches the ref. number?

16. nkb Sep 7, 2019

Sorry calibre 285

17. JustusKol Sep 7, 2019

The serial number 17322941 leads to 1960 and and the calibre 285 (after some superficial research) was built between 1940-1963. That matches. But I honestly don't get how I can use the reference number to match it with the calibre. The other example above under that reference also comes with a 285.

18. Dan S Sep 7, 2019

The dial looks ok to me and the piece is mostly original, with the possible exception of the seconds hand (which could also be original but broken off). There are some condition issues that a collector would notice, but if you are happy with it, that's what matters.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

JustusKol likes this.
  19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 7, 2019

You might want to visit Omega's vintage database and search for 14390-1. If it is in their database it will list the calibers.

20. JustusKol Sep 7, 2019

Like those little scratches on the case, no papers, no box, no original strap or do you think of something else? ;)