What’s the worst that could happen? Strap question…

Apologies for the clickbait thread title, but what’s the general consensus about installing a 19mm leather strap on a watch with a 20mm lug width?

Visually, my 19mm and 20mm straps appear to be very close in dimensions (as you’d expect I suppose when considering only a 1mm difference)…

It will look odd. There is always the possibility of pin damage.

Like 1
"What’s the worst that could happen?"

OCD kicks in pretty fast in my mind that I'm 1mm off.

Like 2
This is a lucky scenario... I have a 19mm lug width watch that I would love to place a a 20mm double ridge shark strap. I don't think Omega ever made it in 19mm.

upload_2024-8-15_14-51-30.jpeg

Like 1
You are using a 20mm pin on a 19mm strap?

That would be the plan… haven’t tried yet. I bought some 19mm straps for a 19mm watch, but I think they would also look great on my speedy.

It may look a little odd sometimes, but should work fine. It really depends on the strap and lug profile.

I often install 18mm straps on watches with 19mm lug widths. That being said, be careful what spring bars you use. You want them to be non flimsey, but if they are to too thick and fit the strap tightly, there is a small chance the 1mm of extra wiggle room will cause the spring bar to compress and pop out as the strap shifts back and forth.

Like 1
That would be the plan… haven’t tried yet. I bought some 19mm straps for a 19mm watch, but I think they would also look great on my speedy.

Right on. Any pics of the straps you care to share? Also the speedy?! Haha

Like 1
It may look a little odd sometimes, but should work fine. It really depends on the strap and lug profile.

I often install 18mm straps on watches with 19mm lug widths. That being said, be careful what spring bars you use. You want them to be non flimsey, but if they are to too thick and fit the strap tightly, there is a small chance the 1mm of extra wiggle room will cause the spring bar to compress and pop out as the strap shifts back and forth.

Thanks for the tip (non-flimsy vs tight)! Appreciated.

"What’s the worst that could happen?"

OCD kicks in pretty fast in my mind that I'm 1mm off.

There is that :)

Like 1
My problem is with some vintage watches that have 21mm lugs and I want to use a cool 20mm strap. I hate the sight of a gap and chrome pins. I came up with an easy solution: O-rings from old chronograph pushers. I slide one on each side of the pin and install. Completely hides the ugly gaps.

upload_2024-8-15_9-52-10.png

Like 2
My problem is with some vintage watches that have 21mm lugs and I want to use a cool 20mm strap. I hate the sight of a gap and chrome pins. I came up with an easy solution: O-rings from old chronograph pushers. I slide one on each side of the pin and install. Completely hides the ugly gaps.

Great, now I’m hungry for donuts

Like 4

Cool idea… and also a great excuse to browse watch part dealers on eBay!

I wouldn't do it, its less the gaps and more that once the strap can move side to side the edge of the strap can catch the springbar and compress the springbar making the whole lot come loose.

Now this probably wont happen THAT easily if you are using a decent quality springbar, but increased risk in increased risk. Just some food for thought.

Edit, silly me for only skimming as I was reading, this has already been said, but I definitely second masteroftime on this one

Like 1
19mm strap between 20mm lugs?

Surely Shome Mishtake!

197f848b6b909fb35641cd55152e70e0.jpg

Like 4
19mm strap between 20mm lugs?

Surely Shome Mishtake!

197f848b6b909fb35641cd55152e70e0.jpg

I thought of the same thing!