What’s the benefit of a local watchmaker?

I’ve been happily sending my acquisitions to a watchmaker in another part of the country for servicing (I’m U.K. based). I can communicate with them very efficiently by email.

The couple of times I’ve used a local watchmaker the service has been expensive and slightly surly in both cases.

So why are people sometimes reluctant to send their watches away for a service, preferring the time consuming approach of visiting their watchmaker’s premises? I’m fairly sure, and I’m willing to be corrected, that watchmakers would rather be working on watches than hosting visitors all day long. Is there benefit to be derived from that personal relationship that outweighs the time-wasting element?

For me the only benefit would be avoiding shipping issues and/or shipping fees. Who hasn’t experienced those when buying through eBay or auction houses?

By the way, as a watch passioned person visiting my watchmaker might be time consuming… but I always love to go there. I learn something new every single time 😀

Each shipment no matter how good is the service has a risk, but this does not mean that I would be obsessively insisting on the local option no matter what. It truly depends on the watch, the watchmaker and his/her abilities. If there is a local option, I would prefer the local option avoiding the shipment.

The major benefit, in my experience, is that it when a project invariably remains unfinished for several years, it is more effective to express the resulting displeasure in person. 😁

Here are a few advantages:
- no shipping costs or concerns
- can inspect new purchases immediately
- easy to get small jobs and adjustments done
- can check out his stock spare parts and watches
- will refer other clients who are looking to buy/sell

I’m surprised that people factor in shipping costs. The value of time it takes to make the journey even to a local watchmaker must surely outweigh the insured cost of postage.

Now I may be spoiled because we have a reliable postal service in the uk and I don’t have any super expensive pieces so a maximum £10 fee will get my watches pretty much anywhere in the country fully insured. Against the overall cost of the service that’s not a big deal.

I’m not referring to small specific jobs - I’m talking about a spa and service.

@Dan S makes a good point about other collectors nearby. I can see how being in the local network can be advantageous. Perhaps in time that will be something for me to consider.

I’m surprised that people factor in shipping costs. The value of time it takes to make the journey even to a local watchmaker must surely outweigh the insured cost of postage.

Now I may be spoiled because we have a reliable postal service in the uk and I don’t have any super expensive pieces so a maximum £10 fee will get my watches pretty much anywhere in the country fully insured. Against the overall cost of the service that’s not a big deal.

@Dan S makes a good point about other collectors nearby. I can see how being in the local network can be advantageous. Perhaps in time that will be something for me to consider.

I’m also in the UK and agree with you - but that’s probably because I do what you do.

Lewis watchmaker is my local 😗 My other local is in Canada

A6782947-D05F-4B36-9C7C-B1CE64F23271.jpeg

In my experience, shipping a 4-figure or 5-figure watch is stressful, and the two-way shipping with insurance can add a significant cost to a service. I've done it many times, but I prefer to use a local watchmaker if possible.

Maybe you haven't had occasion to need small jobs done, but unless you are comfortable working on watches yourself, you may eventually run into a situation where you want a simple part swapped out, e.g. bezel, crystal, crown. Or maybe you just want a watch pressure-tested, etc.

Also, sometimes a watch returns from a service and you may find something that still needs to be addressed. Nobody's perfect. Perhaps a piece of lint on the dial, or maybe the watch wasn't regulated to your preference. It's much easier to deal with something like this with a local.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you feel the need to argue, or qualify your question after the fact (i.e. only referring to shipping inexpensive watches, not referring to small jobs). You asked why other people liked having a local watchmaker, and I am telling you why I like it.
Edited:

When you own a small fleet of fussy old chronographs, having a watchmaker in your back yard for service and minor adjustments(usually at NC) is a nice to have.

My watchmaker is literally a 30 minute walk away through a forest. Sometimes I see coyotes in the woods, adding a nice nursery rhyme component to the trip. It takes him 8 months to do a strap change, but at least I don’t have to pay shipping

My watchmaker is literally a 30 minute walk away through a forest. Sometimes I see coyotes in the woods, adding a nice nursery rhyme component to the trip. It takes him 8 months to do a strap change, but at least I don’t have to pay shipping
Do you take breadcrums with you before you drop of a watch?

In my experience, shipping a 4-figure or 5-figure watch is stressful, and the two-way shipping with insurance can add a significant cost to a service. I've done it many times, but I prefer to use a local watchmaker if possible.

Yes, I can understand the stress. I guess I don’t stress about things like that but when my collection includes some five figure pieces things might be different.

Maybe you haven't had occasion to need small jobs done, but unless you are comfortable working on watches yourself, you may eventually run into a situation where you want a simple part swapped out, e.g. bezel, crystal, crown. Or maybe you just want a watch pressure-tested, etc.

No, not yet had occasion to do this, at least not since beginning actively collecting.

Also, sometimes a watch returns from a service and you may find something that still needs to be addressed. Nobody's perfect. Perhaps a piece of lint on the dial, or maybe the watch wasn’t regulated to your preference. It's much easier to deal with something like this with a local.

Yes, I have had this and indeed needed to return one watch twice before the watchmaker got things right for me. Again, I just took the shipping costs on the chin. I didn’t need to pay for the return each time following the initial service.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you feel the need to argue, or qualify your question after the fact (i.e. only referring to shipping inexpensive watches, not referring to small jobs). You asked why other people liked having a local watchmaker, and I am telling you why I like it.

I’m not arguing, I’m enquiring. And I’m not qualifying after the fact, I'm clarifying. I’m not sure why you feel my response was argumentative. I read what you said and acknowledged your points with a “like”, and continued the conversation, that’s all. I fully accept your reasons for liking a local watchmaker and thank you for responding.
Edited:

Lewis watchmaker is my local 😗 My other local is in Canada

A6782947-D05F-4B36-9C7C-B1CE64F23271.jpeg
What?! You have to go all the way to Timor Sea for your nearest watchmaker?

Do you take breadcrums with you before you drop of a watch?

😁

I am blessed that I have been able to make a relationship with a local watchmaker, who does private jobs as well as the store he works for. He knows I have studied watchmaking, though I cannot do it myself, and he knows I appreciate his skill and talent. I know how hard it was to find people to do the work I asked, and I have sent out watches to other watchmakers in the past and sometimes still do.

I am not afraid to send my modern watches to Nesbit's in Seattle because they are Omega-authorized service, and they do very well. Not every watchmaker has the same skills, so you have to get recommendations. One of my watchmaker friends only likes challenges.

Building relationships is the key.

I’d like the convenience of a local watchmaker but the couple I’ve tried near me have almost always had issues with watches post service. The main one being often significant amounts of lint and dust under the crystal, even when I’ve asked them to clean it off.

As a result I always ship my watches for service but being in the UK insured domestic shipping is a doddle.

Lewis watchmaker is my local 😗
Do you go on a walkabout when you have to drop off or pick up a watch? Seems like a routine hike for you all down under.

I’d like the convenience of a local watchmaker but the couple I’ve tried near me have almost always had issues with watches post service. The main one being often significant amounts of lint and dust under the crystal, even when I’ve asked them to clean it off.

As a result I always ship my watches for service but being in the UK insured domestic shipping is a doddle.

It appears that sending high value items in many places is considered risky. I don’t think it is particularly so in the U.K. I guess that’s where much of the difference in peoples’ take on this question lies.

It appears that sending high value items in many places is considered risky. I don’t think it is particularly so in the U.K. I guess that’s where much of the difference in peoples’ take on this question lies.

In the US, you can insure items for up to $50k when using registered mail. The cost is pretty low, but for a five-figure watch, round trip postage will certainly add at least $100 to the cost of the service. Moreover, just because you can insure something doesn't mean that shipping is something to take lightly, IMO, especially for vintage watches that are not so easy to replace. If an item is damaged or lost, you can make a claim, but there is no guarantee that it will be successful or how much you will receive.

It's easy to be glib when you haven't shipped a valuable watch for service, if the watch is less than $1k, then it's not something to get worked up about obviously. But next time you ship a $15,000 watch (preferably one that you spent years hunting for) for a service, start a thread and let us know how it feels as you are waiting for it to arrive. The mail service is pretty reliable, but if you ship enough items, eventually you will have some major delays, and perhaps some damage or loss.

This is not to say that I don't ship watches for repairs/restoration, or when I sell them. Of course I do. But I don't prefer it.
Edited: