What’s the benefit of a local watchmaker?

In the US, you can insure items for up to $50k when using registered mail. The cost is pretty low, but for a five-figure watch, round trip postage will certainly add at least $100 to the cost of the service. Moreover, just because you can insure something doesn't mean that shipping is something to take lightly, IMO, especially for vintage watches that are not so easy to replace. If an item is damaged or lost, you can make a claim, but there is no guarantee that it will be successful or how much you will receive.

It's easy to be glib when you haven't shipped a valuable watch for service, if the watch is less than $1k, then it's not something to get worked up about obviously. But next time you ship a $15,000 watch (preferably one that you spent years hunting for) for a service, start a thread and let us know how it feels as you are waiting for it to arrive. The mail service is pretty reliable, but if you ship enough items, eventually you will have some major delays, and perhaps some damage or loss.

This is not to say that I don't ship watches for repairs/restoration, or when I sell them. Of course I do. But I don't prefer it.
Royal Mail will only compensate up to £2500 and cost around £11 to send within the uk. DPD will cover up to £5k for slightly less. I can’t find a shipper in the uk who will cover more than that so perhaps specific insurance would need to be taken out.

What?! You have to go all the way to Timor Sea for your nearest watchmaker?

I live up the top with the crocodiles near the Timor Sea…. Away from all the annoying people 😁

Do you go on a walkabout when you have to drop off or pick up a watch? Seems like a routine hike for you all down under.

Go Walkabout for weeks when fishing. Takes two weeks to plan a trip knowing that unless you packed it, shot it or caught it your not having it.
(Always a hard turn right onto a dirt road that just leads you further from civilisation than most are comfortable with as your already 500kms out of phone service)

I live up the top with the crocodiles near the Timor Sea…. Away from all the annoying people

I did wonder how it could be that there were no watchmakers in Perth. Any of those crocs happen to have swallowed an alarm clock?

It appears that sending high value items in many places is considered risky. I don’t think it is particularly so in the U.K. I guess that’s where much of the difference in peoples’ take on this question lies.

I can only speak for my own experience, but servicing watches that have been shipped to me for many years, from places all over the world, I’ve yet to have any go missing.