Forums Latest Members

Wearing AT in Spain for vacation

1. Undefeatable Feb 24, 2020

Hello all,

So next week I will be in Spain for 2 weeks. I will be visiting Barcelona, San Sebastian, Seville, and Madrid. I have been doing some normal vacation research and know that some parts of Spain are known for their pick-pocketing (seems like Barcelona and Madrid).

I have traveled to Europe before in places that are also semi known for pick-pockets, but from what I gather, Barcelona is more prevalent. My question is, for those who know, would wearing my Aqua Terra be something I should be concerned about?

For reference, its on rubber trap and deployant clasp, and I will probably be wearing long sleeves most of the time there. Id love to take it with me as honestly, I just love wearing it. But if its recommended I dont, I have a SKX and G-Shock I can bring instead.

Thanks for any and all help!

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 24, 2020

I think the risk is higher by posting about your future extended absence from home on the Internet, than it is by wearing any kind of watch on your wrist in Spain ;)

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 24, 2020

I wore my Rolex GMT MII and my JLC Reverso in Barca, Milan, Toledo, Seville fall of 2018 and on previous trips as well. Don’t be stupid (EG sloppy drunk and vulnerable) and you will be fine. Your wallet is a more vulnerable target in the narrow historic districts. PS: You can see em coming if you are not blotto. Also ... your watch should be insured.

Edited Feb 24, 2020
  4. Impgreene Feb 24, 2020

Having travelled to all of those places I don't think you're a target for a outright 'robbery' (i.e. someone forcing you to give the watch to them) with a watch like that (the ticket price isn't high enough).

Pickpockets probably want easier target assets e.g. cameras, phones, wallets - the risk and difficulty of getting something off your wrist is much higher than stealing someone's phone when they're not looking, or grabbing a camera and running away - the type of person / gang capable of taking a watch off your wrist is probably looking for a much higher ticket watch (as they are, in their own way, 'skilled').

I personally wear watches like that on a daily basis in central London, and the only thing that someone has ever tried to steal from me was my phone ……………..

The only time you might be at risk is if you are planning to get steaming drunk, as then you become an easy target (as don't forget, pickpockets are looking for both an easy target as well as something valuable) - there was a study of former robbers from the NY metro, and the thing they looked for most was an easy target, anyone who looked like they might be a hassle or difficult they left alone - so, if you are planning on partying hard I would perhaps leave the watch at home (but then, I've also not had an problems with this in London, but I know others have lost watches on nights out!).

Undefeatable likes this.
  5. Undefeatable Feb 24, 2020

Haha, I have nothing expensive at my apartment and my roommate is staying home.

Thank you all for the tips! I really dont plan on getting plastered late night (going with girlfriend, neither of us are big drinkers) and the only planned drinking we have is wine tours and random beers or cocktails while were out.
    Seems like I should be good to go as long as I am not annoucing myself everywhere and keep my eyes out for stuff/people that might be seedy.

6. imranbecks Feb 24, 2020

Just wear it. No one will notice. Wear long sleeves so you can hide it if you are not confident or feel wary. Otherwise it should be the least of your worries.

FYI, I travel with one of my Omega's often. Kuala Lumpur, Paris, London... Right now I'm in Doha on holiday with my Seamaster 300. No worries for me.

Undefeatable and chronos like this.
  7. ScubaRawb Feb 24, 2020

Just bought my first Luxury watch the other day, an Omega SMP 300m (blue/blue s/s) It's not the most expensive watch...still insured it for a few bucks a month. To me, that kind of investment is worth insuring...even if for some, the price I paid is a drop in the bucket for them. Good idea to insure a watch, especially if it's a piece you wear all the time as you're more likely to lose it somehow.

8. Dan S Feb 24, 2020

Your watch is firmly attached to your wrist, and less vulnerable than many other things you are carrying, like your phone. Keep two hands on the phone when you are taking photos, and avoid holding it up above your head or far out from your body. More than once I have seen someone whip by on a bike and rip a phone right out of a tourist's hand as he was taking a photo. Keep your wallet in your front pocket. Don't wear a backpack on the subway where someone behind you has easy access to it (take it off and hold it in front of you); someone will cut right into it with a box knife and you won't even know it happened. Stay in groups if possible and look out for each other. Keep aware of your surroundings as much as you can. Use common sense. Buy drinks for people you meet. Have fun!

P.S. I am not picking on Spain, which is a wonderful place. This stuff happens to tourists in almost every major city around the world.

Edited Feb 24, 2020
  9. imranbecks Feb 24, 2020

I don't understand how someone can lose a watch to be honest. It's gonna be on your wrist most of the time. The only time it's off the wrist is probably when you sleep and it's on the dresser in the hotel room. The moment I wake up, i take a shower, then the watch is back on the wrist where it will be staying for the rest of the day.

There is a higher chance of you losing your wallet or phone than losing a watch.

10. Meme-Dweller Feb 24, 2020

Weather is still Winter-ish/early Spring.... wear long sleeve clothing and you'll still be fine no matter what watch you wear because nobody can see it

FBPB likes this.
  11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2020

And.... even if you wear a tank top, an AT level watch in Spain is not uncommon

12. killer67 Feb 24, 2020

Those gypsies in Madrid get mighty friendly. if you are overly concerned about it and will cause you any amount of diminished pleasure on your vacation then best to leave it at home and play it safe with the G in Spain

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2020

And you may as well not wear it in London Paris New York Moscow Glasgow Detroit Chicago LA MIAMI ....

Als 27, Kmart, Dan S and 1 other person like this.
  14. pongster Feb 25, 2020

Is it the James Bond Aqua Terra? Then it might have some anti-theft features. Just ask Q. :)

janice&fred, rafabond and FBPB like this.
  15. FBPB Feb 25, 2020

I am curious why Americans think Europe is some sort of "wild west" in terms of pickpockets, thieves etc. ? It simply isn't. The vast majority of European cities are extremely safe. Granted, every city in the world has areas that it is best to avoid and pick pockets are always attracted to tourist areas, no matter where you are in the world.

If you go around with €200 notes hanging out of your pockets, you will likely attract unwanted attention no matter where you are, posh neighbourhood or not.

Keep your wits about you, don't attract a lot of attention to yourself and you will be fine.

If you would prefer to feel safer, then get one of those wallets that you can sling over your shoulder/under your arm and clothing to store the majority of your cash / passport / other ID and only carry a money clip with €100 in small bills on your pocket. Should you be approached by some thief, you can whip out the money clip, throw it on the ground and start running the other way... Odds are he's more interested in the "quick cash" than your watch.

ctpete, ICONO, Kmart and 2 others like this.
  16. FBPB Feb 25, 2020

Back in the days of watches not being water resistant, people used to take them off when washing their hands in the bathroom. It was still common practice with older gents wearing an old watch up until 20 years ago. So yeah, it's possible.

Personally, I sleep with my watch on, and only take it off when I shower (even then sometime I shower with it, if it's a diver).

17. snunez Feb 25, 2020

And some people still do this if they're wearing vintage. One of my biggest fears is exactly this. Getting distracted and either walking or having someone pinch it when you turn away.

FBPB likes this.
  18. sxl2004 Feb 25, 2020

My mantra is that if I/you are afraid or paranoid of wearing an expensive watch, using an expensive camera etc and loosing it, than it might not be the thing for you.
    Of course it hurts when lost/stolen but if you cannot afford to loose it, it is no fun to own it.
    My favorite per peeve is Leica M cameras, the ultimate travel cameras, being left home on vacations in fear of loosing it.
    ::popcorn::

DaeMa9 likes this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 25, 2020

I just put it in my pocket instead of a countertop. Not only for theft but because counters in public bathrooms are not my favorite surfaces anyway

snunez, Dan S and FBPB like this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2020

Never washed my hands in a way I have needed to take a watch off, and never pissed on my wrists either. :whistling:

MoclovFlop, Als 27, Ian_km and 3 others like this.