Forums Latest Members
  1. SteveZ28 Mar 6, 2018

Looks like I will be making my way to Spain in May for a quick anniversary trip. Anyone have some suggestions on a good itinerary for a 12 day trip? I will be landing in Madrid and we are thinking Barcelona, Valencia, Ibiza (if we get ambitious) and a couple days over in Ronda. Anything that we are particularity missing with this plan?

More important note... Any tips on some great vintage watch shops while I am over there? I am looking for a nice blue faced 1601 Datejust and hoping I come across one along my travels.

Any tips/ past experiences would be much appreciated!

2. ICONO Mar 6, 2018

I will be up the coast, just North of Barcelona for the Easter period, as well

Can recommend ‘Joieria Rabat’ in the Barcelona City centre…just up from Las Ramblas

3. ATWG Mar 6, 2018

Andora region is a must see, it would be on top of my list. Madrid and Barca are both nice cities and have plenty to offer, but for me going to the country side both north (Andora) and south (Sevilla) was captivating.

4. SteveZ28 Mar 6, 2018

Thanks ICONO for the reference. I can see it already, I will be making my way there alone as the Mrs. doesn't plan on leaving the beach the entire trip.

I have heard great things about Sevilla from a friend who rented a car and drove through the southern countryside. It's too bad this is such a quick trip, but we are planning on another trip that we could do Portugal, Northern Spain, and a little bit of Southern France.

5. calalum Mar 6, 2018

San Sebastian for great food and wine. Rioja area for vineyards. Toledo. Cordoba. Seville.

w154, Maybe, Tet and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fatcat Mar 7, 2018

If you really want to eat and drink perfectly the best part of Spain is Galicia :)))))

7. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Mar 7, 2018

Tapas, Toro, Rioja, Fino, Amontillado, Oloroso, Tapas, Fino...

Wivac and aap like this.
  8. bonerp Mar 7, 2018

Do a hop on hop off bus trip. Well worth it. Other favs are las ramblas, the mont juic Olympic village village and hill fortress, the la familia and beaches. Enjoy.

9. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Mar 7, 2018

Albarinio!

aap and SteveZ28 like this.
  10. SteveZ28 Mar 7, 2018

We plan on spending most of our trip finding our favorite Tapas and sampling plenty of fantastic wine. Looks like I might want to re-think our route and plan for another 12 day extension to our trip!

I have been on a few of the Hop on, Hop off bus tours on my travels through Europe in the past. They have always been great! Thanks for the tips, La Familia is definitely a must for us.

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 7, 2018

Barna, Madrid and Barna, Barca is the football team

SteveZ28 likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 7, 2018

If you follow Icono's path a little towards France you can have a good time at an area called L'empurdan. It envelops the Golfo de Roses and it is one of my favorite places on earth. Mix of mountain, farmland, fisherman's coast and beach. The Dali museum in Figueras or his house in Cadaquesh. There's a jewel of a hotel by the beach in Empuries right next to the oldest Greek settlement in Spain. Due to historic consideration it is the only hotel on that beach. Great food too. About 2 hours drive from Barcelona. I grew up between Madrid and Barcelona and spend a lot of my off-time in this area.

SteveZ28 likes this.
  13. SteveZ28 Mar 7, 2018

I have been doing a little bit of research of the Empuries area and it looks amazing. We prefer small and quiet little towns opposed to a busy city where it impossible to find a spot on the beach. This may be a good option for us.

14. SteveZ28 Mar 7, 2018

Thank you very much we are really looking forward to exploring the country. I have heard nothing but amazing things. Also taking any restaurant and tapas bar recommendations!

15. dscoogs Mar 7, 2018

2 years ago we visited Madrid (+ quick stop by El Escorial), Toledo, Grenada, Seville, Cordoba, and Barcelona, all fantastic places of a beautiful country. BTW that's how I learned that part of Christopher Columbus body is believed to be in this tomb from a cathedral in Seville.

0.JPG

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 7, 2018

Well worth seeing, also an easy hop to Collioure in France which is a gorgeous city worth visiting as a lunch day trip.

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 7, 2018

Also, if you decide to drive from Madrid to Barcelona you can stop by "El Monasterio de Piedra" in Zaragoza. Beautiful place if you're not in a rush.
    images-1.jpeg images.jpeg Unknown-3.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown.jpeg

Edited Mar 7, 2018
    Maybe and Longbow like this.
  18. SteveZ28 Mar 7, 2018

That is absolutely beautiful. That would be well worth a car rental making the drive. Seems to be around 6 hours not including stops.

19. ICONO Mar 7, 2018

And a little further South is Girona………the ‘Bruges’ of the Mediterranean…wonderfully preserved Medieval City…full of charm

SteveZ28 likes this.
  20. SteveZ28 Mar 7, 2018

Well I barely got the word "Waterfall" out of my mouth and the Mrs. has decided that we will be renting a car and driving from Madrid to Barcelona...

Edited Mar 7, 2018