Forums Latest Members
  1. fergusm Aug 13, 2020

I hadn't been wearing my beloved 16800 much so decided to have it serviced last month and bring it on holiday.

First day at the beach and after a little bit of splashing about with the kids, this happened...

I called the watchmaker who told me to unscrew the crown, pull it all the way out, and leave if somewhere warm for 24 hours. I followed his instructions and now the watch has stopped working completely. It's stopped running and if I try to wind it, the crown spins with no resistance at all.

I've put the watch away and will bring it back to the watchmaker on Monday as I'm still away from home. Can anyone give me any idea of what has happened and should I trust the watchmaker to work on the watch for a second time. First time, they replaced the gaskets and pressure tested the watch so I'm not sure how it could have failed just a few days after being serviced. Or should I bite the bullet and find someone else to carry out the repairs?

IMG_6133.jpg
  2. JwRosenthal Aug 13, 2020

Stop at the closest market where you are on holiday and get a ziplock and bag of rice now- crown unscrewed- you need to wick that moisture out.

MTROIS, Benbradstock, DaveK and 6 others like this.
  3. airansun In the shuffling madness Aug 13, 2020

Trust is a big thing in working with a watchmaker. Trust is built up through transactions and experience.

It’s hard to answer your question because I only know what you stated, I don’t have your experience with your watchmaker.

If this happened to me, a big part of deciding your question would be how my watchmaker responded to the news. It’s true, having this happen to one of my watches would put a big ding in my ability to trust him.

Good watchmakers are hard to find. Great ones are mostly rumored. I have suffered mistakes at the hands of my watchmaker; he’s not perfect. But, he’s much better than anyone else I’ve tried. And, I force myself to remember that what he’s servicing for me are 50+ year old relics, some exhausted from neglect or abuse.

4. Aaron713 Aug 13, 2020

Trust is such a large component of the relationship that with me, one strike and you're out. I'd be very reluctant to go back to the same guy.
    I think that the only ways I'd go back to this guy - for anything - would be if:
    -It's a busy dealer I'd been building a relationship with, in hopes of moving up some wait list for a desirable model.
    -There's a way to leverage this inconvenience (and possible damage) into a major discount on another watch or piece of jewelry.

mmpass likes this.
  5. alam Aug 13, 2020

just let me know who serviced the watch as I want to make sure where not to send my Sub for service :confused: good luck in getting your Sub back in shape!

GuiltunderGlass and watch3s like this.
  6. janice&fred Aug 13, 2020

It's only thursday and Monday is a long way away. You sure wherever you are there isn't a watch repair shop with a Rolex case back opener? I would have them loosen the case back for you so you can get the thing dried out by letting it sit out in the sun with the crown unscrewed, face up with the back off. Whatever you do, whatever method you choose to dry it out, make sure you keep the watch dial facing upward so there's less chance of any water migrating on to the dial and hands. Movement parts are cheaper than replacing that dial and hand set.

7. onthedial Aug 13, 2020

@fergusm
    Yes, you need to have a dialog with your watchmaker ASAP. If your 16800 had its seals changed and it passed the pressure test the watchmaker may still avoid liability because it's equipped with an aftermarket crystal. Assuming that the crystal is not an original Rolex part I would bet that the moisture ingress is related to the crystal fitting.
    Keep us posted, hopefully your vintage Sub won't be too badly damaged.
    [Just an observation here: Your insert has been artificially bleached, right?]

Archer, Benbradstock and watch3s like this.
  8. dstfno Aug 14, 2020

Some mistakes are unforgivable. A dive watch that lets moisture in during regular swimming after being serviced? Sounds like carelessness or incompetence to me.

I hope the damage is minimal and you will be enjoying your watch again soon!

ScubaPro, schoolboy and Thrasher36 like this.
  9. gbesq Aug 14, 2020

I assume that prior to this service that you had exposed the watch to water any number of times without an issue?

Benbradstock and watch3s like this.
  10. watch3s Aug 14, 2020

Id be wary about this watchmaker going forward. According to you, it was recently serviced, which Id suppose would include new seals and gaskets. But here you are, fogged up.

11. Wryfox Aug 14, 2020

So I'm gonna be THAT guy.. ..did you screw that crown ALL the way down before you went to the beach?

Edited Aug 14, 2020
  12. watch3s Aug 14, 2020

it always surprises me when I see pictures with crowns unscrewed

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 14, 2020

Either you went swimming with crown unscrewed or your watchmaker didn’t really do a proper job. My two vintage Rolli see rain but not immersion in water since no matter what my watchmaker tells me, they are too valuable to go swimming. I have other watches for that.

marco, Syrte, GuiltunderGlass and 6 others like this.
  14. obstando Aug 14, 2020

The crown unscrewed will have no effect - the watch should be waterproof to the Rolex rating even with the crown unscrewed.

Widows Son, 89-0 and wsfarrell like this.
  15. Wryfox Aug 14, 2020

Yeah that's why the manual says...
    "Make sure the crown is fully screwed down before wearing or swimming with your Rolex"

There is a stem seal that provides protection(I've heard 100m), but not to full rating without crown tight.

Stripey, watch3s, jaguar11 and 2 others like this.
  16. fergusm Aug 14, 2020

As far as I know the crystal is original. I had the cyclops removed but that was just glued on so I can’t see it affecting water resistance. In any case, the watch was pressure tested which should have highlighted any issues with the crystal, no?

I don’t know about the insert. I bought the watch about 5 yrs ago and the insert looked just like it does now.

17. fergusm Aug 14, 2020

Actually no. This was the first service the watch had since I bought the watch so I’d kept it away from water. I still don’t understand how a freshly serviced watch could allow water to penetrate it like this.

18. fergusm Aug 14, 2020

The crown was definitely screwed in. No doubt about that!

ebrohman, Mossback and Benbradstock like this.
  19. janice&fred Aug 14, 2020

That's also assuming the thing has all new seals and up to factory specs. Not always the case with used watches despite being serviced. I would never trust getting these oldsters wet for any reason. There are newer watches for that stuff.

marco, Syrte, Shabbaz and 5 others like this.
  20. fergusm Aug 14, 2020

I obviously regret taking the watch swimming as I also have modern references which I usually take on holiday. I just figured that it’s a freshly serviced Sub and I’d be fine!

schoolboy likes this.