Forums Latest Members
  1. Cozmopak Sep 26, 2019

I know that this has likely been discussed in the past, but I would like to canvas the forum for contemporaneous reviews of watchmakers who service vintage Omegas. I’ve heard multiple references to Simon Freese on this forum; however, I’m located in the USA. I would have no problem sending him my watches, cost is not a consideration. I want the best of the best. But if there is someone in the US who provides quality service, that would obviously be easier for me. Any recommendations?

2. alecuncu Sep 26, 2019

::book::

Waltesefalcon, blufinz52 and DaveK like this.
  3. Dan S Sep 26, 2019

I'm not trying to be a wise-ass, but you're correct that this has been discussed in many, many threads, and you might want to use the search feature as a start. If you find that people haven't volunteered the names of their watchmakers publicly in the past, they are unlikely to do so now. It seems overwhelmingly likely that you will just get the usual suspects mentioned over and over again.

I would recommend my watchmaker to someone who I knew to be a trustworthy and serious collector ... someone who is a "friend" on the forum. But I wouldn't put his name out there publicly so a bunch of yahoos could start pestering him. He, like most good watchmakers, isn't hurting for work. So an alternative (and probably more successful) approach would be to establish yourself as a serious person on the forum, develop some relationships, and request the names of watchmakers privately via PM.

DaveK and rbob99 like this.
  4. 64Wing Sep 26, 2019

I think this is a fair and courteous approach, Dan.

I'm in no real hurry to secure more vintage pieces, that will come with time. Similarly, my network building is still rather fledgling.

I can offer that your sentiment is similar to what we experience in the aviation world. I have a few friends that I trust very much when it comes to maintenance puzzles and I have people that have me on speed dial for the same purpose. Just like the watch industry, there will always be owners that do nothing but pester and swindle mechanics because they can almost afford their airplanes. But there are also some truly wonderful people that work with their maintenance providers to keep a safe ship and they always pay on time.

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting that the OP is a swindler or would be a bother to anyone. I think he displayed good judgement on seeking a referral from a knowledgeable group here. In his defense, sometimes I find that the search results within the forum are often not easy to sift through.

On that note, I applaud the civil responses he's received from you all.

Wish I had a watchmaker to recommend, but I just don't know any yet.

My best to you all!

5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 26, 2019

M'Bob likes this.