Forums Latest Members
  1. Bp1000 Apr 1, 2020

Curious to know just how problematic an iPad Pro can be to a variety of watches?

I heard they have lots of magnets all over the case and whilst holding and typing perhaps won’t be an issue as the watch is a few inches away, writing with an Apple pencil like on paper where the watch is just a few cm from the screen or screen edge, is this an issue?

I know plenty of modern watches are resistant but would any watches get affected by these magnets?

Thanks

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 1, 2020

Use a HP tablet with magnet attached keyboard that I have problems removing from the car if I put it on the roof whilst frigging around getting other gear out. (It’s that strong)
    Never had a issue with watches.

3. Evitzee Apr 1, 2020

I avoid putting my wallet (credit cards) and watch in close proximity to my tablet's magnetic cover and phone. Have not had any issues but it's just good practice.

Edited Apr 1, 2020
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 1, 2020

I have had people bring me watches that were magnetized after they placed them on their iPad. IMO the biggest issue is with the covers, not the iPad itself.

Bp1000 and lindo like this.
  5. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Apr 1, 2020

Since I bought a new iPad plus magnetic cover last summer, I’ve had to demagnetise my Speedmaster three times. Never had a problem with it before then.

6. wbfondren Apr 1, 2020

I need to check mine! I’ve been using my iPad Pro with its keyboard for some time now and would imagine it’s done the same to a few of my watches..

7. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Apr 1, 2020

Usually it makes them run fast, but I only found out because it caused the chrono hand to zip forward 5-10 seconds when I start/stop/reset it a few times.

8. Bp1000 Apr 1, 2020

This is interesting. I’m going to have keep an eye on things.

I assume a magnetised watch once fixed goes back to normal and isn’t affected or damaged in any way and will go back to its original time keeping performance ?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 1, 2020

No damage - if fully demagnetized it will be fine.

Bp1000 likes this.
  10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 1, 2020

I have to demagnetize often and i think is my iPad and iPhone. This happens to multiple watches.

Tom

Bp1000 likes this.
  11. Bp1000 Apr 2, 2020

Thanks Tom

would the signs be significantly fast, eg > 10 seconds ?

All back to normal after demagnetising ?

Could you recommend a demagnetising device please ?

12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 2, 2020

Depends on the movement. But it will be gaining some seconds a day more than usual, and yes, after degaussing, it's back to normal.

I use one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Baugger-Watch-Demagnetizer-Demagnetize-Watchmaker/dp/B07YS9Z9F1/

But I strongly caution you that you could end up not doing any good and perhaps making things worse. I have an understanding watchmaker closeby who will scold me but will bail me out if necessary.

In general, one puts the object inside the hole, leaves it there for a short time, and then slowly draws it out with the power still on. When you get it arm's length away, let go of the button. But you only know if you succeed by putting your watch on your timing machine.

It's best to not use your iPad while wearing your watch, if you can, and let your watchmaker demagnetize for you.

Tom

Bp1000 likes this.
  13. Bp1000 Apr 3, 2020

Thank you for the tips!

most of my newer watches I think will be ok. It’s just the older ones that perhaps won’t.

what I hadn’t realised it that there are magnets in the Palm rest of my Apple laptop. They only feel about half as powerful as the iPad edges but I haven’t been careful all these years with any watches and using that laptop

hopefully I’ll be ok

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2020

Looking for another photo when I stumbled across these - Sinn that came in magnetized, so here it is fully wound dial up on the timing machine:

[​IMG]

Balance amplitude at 173 degrees, and the daily rate is 2 minutes and 38 second fast per day. Here it is after demagnetizing:

[​IMG]

Balance amplitude now at 250, and the rate is just over +4 per day. The watch still needed servicing, but this illustrates what being magnetized can do to the rates.

Cheers, Al

VetPsychWars likes this.