Forums Latest Members
  1. PolishOmega Dec 22, 2020

Hello all,

I love my Omega but...

It's my only automatic watch but sometimes I do wear battery-powered sports watches like G-Shock (for example when I go to the gym).

That's why I want to get my Omega a good-looking watch winder. I've never had any experiences with such and stumbled across this article: https://timepieceking.info/best-watch-winder-for-omega-watches/ . Can anyone tell me if the information there is still relevant? And, maybe, some of you own any of the watch winders on that list? Or at least know some of the brands?

In fact, feel free to recommend anything you use. Not having to go beyond $500 would be awesome.

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 22, 2020

Honestly,

pass on a winder. Almost everyone that gets one ends up not using it. Esp if you have more then 1 automatic watch.

but if you get one, warranty, adjustable speed and rotation are a must.

Gui13250 likes this.
  3. jeelan Dec 22, 2020

I hv a 4 watch winder that i bought from Amazon a few yrs ago - there seems to be a wide range out there ranging from $150 - $1000. Mine is on the cheaper end. The wood is fake, and the plastic / leatherette material on the cushions is starting to peel / crack but the winder works really well.

My collection has never been bigger than 4 watches at any time so 1 on the wrist and 3 on the winder. I’ve rarely had to manually wind, or set a watch. Usually if i havent worn a watch in a while, all i need to do is adjusting the minutes so time is accurate as its either become too slow or too fast, but generally watches stay wound and on the correct date. With the accuracy and stability of modern movements, even if i dont wear a particular watch for a month, its usually only out by 1-3 mins at most.

As you can see each dual watch case has its own control and there are 4 settings to determine no. Of turns per day - i have mine set to max TPD (~900) and those are split in either direction.

The winder comes on itself several times during the day and just ticks away on my dresser. For the price i paid, I’m really impressed with the quality and longevity this has lasted. I dont have the pictured watches anymore but Winder is still performing flawlessly.

34CBF681-82E7-4ED6-8D78-689394A8BBD4.jpeg
    Mossback likes this.
  4. Huus Dec 23, 2020

Omega sells watch winders, see their website under 'accessories' 'fine leather', and they are Omega branded.
    They are made by Swiss Kubik. Run on a couple of batteries for 3 years, very quiet, settings are adjustable. Measures 10cm x 10cm x 10cm so easily fits in a safe. Buy it from a Swiss Kubik AD without the Omega branding and pay a lot less.
    Rolex and some other watch brands used Swiss Kubik winders also, branded with their own logo.

5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 23, 2020

Personally never seen the need for a winder, how long does it take to set the time and date ?
    I always consider it to leaving a motor running when it is not required.

Cephas, Pun, Dan S and 1 other person like this.
  6. Syzygy Dec 23, 2020

Index finger and thumb...boom! Winder

LesXL and Pun like this.
  7. Gruesome Dec 23, 2020

I'm very happy with a Chiyoda winder I got as a present. Nice wood veneer (I assume) and a curved plexiglass window. Very quiet.

8. blueteg Dec 28, 2020

I've had good results with the Chiyoda single watch winder I've purchased from Amazon. They're relatively inexpensive ($69 shipped for Amazon Prime members) and very quiet. The first one I bought lasted about 3 and a half years and then died. I picked up another one last December and it's run fine for the last year.

After doing quite a bit of reading on here, I'm starting to shy away from putting my more expensive to service pieces on the winder due to the increased winding and run time potentially leading to more wear and tear on the internals. So now the only watch of mine that gets any action on the winder is my Seiko SKX007 since the day & date set on that is kind of a PITA.

Omega Forums member 'Archer' is one of the more knowledgeable guys on here. It think you might find his responses on page 1 & 2 of of this thread helpful: https://omegaforums.net/threads/recommend-watch-winder-for-my-2254-50.12555/page-2

abrod520 likes this.
  9. abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

If you wear a number of watches in rotation and thus leave some alone for more than two or three days at a time, use a winder for watches with:
    - vintage automatic movements that do not feature hand-winding capability

- modern divers with screw-down crowns (screw-down crowns can potentially -but not necessarily- cause threading problems when often unscrewed and screwed back in)

- ETA 2824 / 2892 or respective Sellita clone (SW200 / SW300) movements that feature hand-winding ability but aren't properly designed; hand-winding watches with these movements often catches the rotor and can damage them. (Feel free to Google search "hand winding spins rotor) and learn more on your own)

I was a hard-line no winder guy until I found myself with a couple of these watches, now I find them invaluable.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 29, 2020

There's no design issue here - if you are having the rotor spin while winding, it's a fault in the reversing wheels, and they should be changed. If they are worn, dirty, or improperly lubricated they won't function properly, but when properly taken care of they work just fine when hand winding.

This is not specific to these calibers either - any watch from any brand with reversing wheels can have this problem. For example here's a Tissot Navigator Chrono with a Lemania 1341 movement (same movement as an Omega 1040) - reversing wheels not functioning properly when it came in:

After service:

Once cleaned, they worked fine.

abrod520 likes this.
  11. abrod520 Dec 29, 2020

Huh. I have a brand new Yema, just three weeks old with an SW300 that's already spinning its rotor via the crown. I also have a Mido with their modernized version of the 2892 that's about a month or so back from service, with some spin as well. It seems to be such a common issue with this family of movements I thought it was inherent... hmph.

(Nobody ever accused Yema of extra high quality movement work, but still - damn)

12. scapa Dec 29, 2020

I have a basic 2-watch Wolf winder. I no longer have a large collection but it's useful in terms of keeping a few watches ready to go and is silent in use and wasn't expensive.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 29, 2020

I don't service enough of the Sellita versions to comment on those, but or the ETA based watches, these are not normally a problem.

I don't recall seeing anywhere (other than this thread) people describing this as a known issue on the 2892 family of watches. Keep in mind these would include all kinds of brands that have used these movements over the decades and even in Omega it would include all the 1120 related calibers, all the 2500 series co-axials, all the Speedmaster reduced models...I don't see people complaining about this issue with all these watches.

I've serviced hundreds of 2892 based watches, and yes I've had some problematic reversing wheels. Not long ago I pulled a brand new one from the package, cleaned it, lubricated it using Lubeta V105 (made specifically for lubricating reversing wheels), dried it, installed it, and sure enough the rotor spun when I would via the crown. Cleaned it again, lubricated it again, and same thing, so I chucked it and put a(nother) new one in, that was fine.

So faults can be there from day 1, but that is pretty unusual, at least in my experience.

Cheers, Al

Alfista88 likes this.
  14. abrod520 Dec 29, 2020

Interesting. The TAG folks all look down on their versions of these movements for instance (Calibre 5 is what TAG calls either a 2892 or SW300) because they seem like they have a very high rate of occurrence with this problem. Could be the way the companies finish them I suppose.