Forums Latest Members
  1. scapa Feb 14, 2020

Heading to NYC next week for a few days. Looking to maybe pick up an Omega or IWC and at least do some interesting browsing, and wondering if locals or watch-loving visitors have any recommendations. I generally stay at the Yale Club or nearby, so midtown. Happy for any tips in the area or walkable/tubeable from it, with thanks in advance.

2. janice&fred Feb 14, 2020

well excuse me!

47th St baby. That's the hub of activity weekdays. Unfortunately there's no Chelsea flea market action yet on the weekends as it's stopped for the winter.

DaveK and scapa like this.
  3. abrod520 Feb 14, 2020

The Chelsea Flea closed for good a month or two ago unfortunately.

Generally the large brands have boutiques on 5th ave or Madison in the 50s or so.

scapa likes this.
  4. scapa Feb 14, 2020

Sorry -- wasn't trying to be wanky, just using it as a location/landmark.

Thanks for the tips will have a stroll along 47th and 5th/Madison. Wanted to check out a couple of the boutiques that I don't normally darken with my thrift-store togs.

janice&fred likes this.
  5. Bakertime Feb 15, 2020

You should check out Watches of Switzerland. There are two locations, one in Hudson Yards and the other in SoHo. Both a train or cab ride away but worth it.

scapa likes this.
  6. gbesq Feb 15, 2020

You certainly won’t find any bargains at the Omega Boutique on Fifth Avenue, but it’s a great place to visit and window shop and the staff couldn’t be any more accommodating.

scapa likes this.
  7. janice&fred Feb 15, 2020

I was told a couple weeks ago it will be back under new management this spring. Let's hope!

scapa likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 16, 2020

Madison btw 52nd and 56th / Oculus at WTC ... Wempe 5th Ave and 47th ... last trip
    I found no bargains or desire to negotiate.

scapa likes this.
  9. gefmey Feb 16, 2020

Check out Aaron Faber on 53st just west of 5th Ave. Great for browsing, but don't forget to close your mouth after you see the prices. Although this last trip I saw a few that were actually in the realistic range.

scapa and janice&fred like this.
  10. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Feb 16, 2020

I am currently visiting nyc. Spent yesterday visiting most of the watch shops on Madison Ave. and 5th ave.
    Great places to browse. Aaron Faber is wonderful for looking but their current selection of Omegas is a little limited.
    The flagship Omega boutique is great. The staff enjoy talking watches with you. As others have pointed out, no bargains here but if you have have the resources it’s a great place to shop.

scapa likes this.
  11. janice&fred Feb 16, 2020

take a walk up 47th st in the jewelry district during the week and you will find enough vintage watches to choke a horse. It would take you a week to check out all the various dealers in those buildings. Many of these small dealers will sell very reasonably too. One thing for sure is you will see everything there...from vintage pateks to bulovas.

scapa and JwRosenthal like this.
  12. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Feb 16, 2020

Thanks. We’re here for another couple days. I’ll check the area out.

janice&fred likes this.
  13. janice&fred Feb 16, 2020

I'm glad you will have the opportunity to check that out and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Loads of cool stuff and these dealers deal, they don't like to sit on their stuff for very long. :)

Edit: To be specific you will want to be on the section of 47th st between 5th ave and Avenue of the Americas.

Edited Feb 16, 2020
    scapa and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. bubu16 Feb 16, 2020

on 37 West 47th try these dealers:
    -Tiny Geneva (ask for Eddie or Joseph) Tell them Mel sent you. Almost in front to your right as go in.
    -Mike Miraftaf same aisle but way at the end. Tell him Mel sent you
    -55 West 47th
    -Exclusive Watch Booth 163 lots of DJ's etc.
    -Eli Booth 145
    -Quark 66 47th Booth 22 Seth Laburre-Tell him Mel sent you.

So many but TinyGeneva has a lot-different brands.

GregH and scapa like this.
  15. scapa Feb 17, 2020

That's great -- thanks for these very specific recommendations! Looking forward to checking out some of these spots.

16. NYCwatchgal Mar 3, 2020

Did you get anything when you were here? If so, do tell :)

17. dsacks30 Mar 3, 2020

Michael Ashton on Madison and 79 has some of the best Pateks out there and he is one of the foremost authorities on PP. if you walk up Madison on the Upper East Side you will hit Journe, Vacheron, and Lange one after the other.

18. abrod520 Mar 4, 2020

They don't sell watches, but if you're into custom straps at all you should absolutely stop by Atelier Jean Rousseau, it's an absolute candy shop