Watch advertising from history.

413671-8ddf62d7acfb29a7b98ef33d306c068f.jpg

How can a man in a $27,000 suit settle for a $235 watch?

Adjusted for inflation: “How can a man in a $127,000 suit settle for a $1,100 watch?”

Sounds like something is off with current prices of both items 😗

British Omega advert from 1971/2

zkrfbd.jpg

The prices are interesting. The new technology was expensive. If their quartz movement watches were in the advert they would be more expensive than even the 18K gold example pictured.

French Bulova advert from 1975. Advertising their Centenary model, only available for that year.

ily4bq.jpg

Always thought it a funky looking watch in the shape of a tuning fork. Finally caught one on eBay. NOS, with protection sticker on back and hang tag. For under 30 euros. Yep.

Basic, black and white and small German Sinn advert from the early 90's when they were tasked with selling off some of the German military's stock of old Heuer Bund.

125o0lg.jpg

Not so cheap either, even before the renaissance of "old watches that tick" really took off. IIRC around a thousand dollars/pounds at the time. So about 1800 quid in today's terms? For the Average Man in the Street™ that would have been expensive enough, when a "good watch" could be had in a local jewellers for well under half that*. I do recall seeing the same advert in a UK newspaper around that time and thinking ooh I'd like that, but it was beyond my reach. Got one in the end around seven years ago and I paid about the same as they were originally advertised for. So I bided my time... 😀 Got in just before the madness on those(still the "cheapest" way into a Heuer chrono as far as I'm aware?).

*back in the early 80's my dad, who had always been a watch guy(it was a genetic illness 😁) and a hardcore Longines man went out and bought a Longines VHP quartz in titanium. It was 800 quid and I remember my mum thinking that was crazy money to spend on a watch, as did I. I still have it.

Adjusted for inflation: “How can a man in a $127,000 suit settle for a $1,100 watch?”

Sounds like something is off with current prices of both items 😗
I remember reading an article where a chap looked at the price of a Speedmaster in 1970 compared to today. He adjusted for inflation, wages, various price indexes and IIRC the Speedmaster has near quadrupled in price in the interim, but really went up from around 2000 onwards. Not just Omega, Rolex models had a similar price hike. Zenith and IWC too. It was across the board. Of the bigger names around today Longines was closest to what the prices used to be.

Old adverts can make for interesting comparisons on this score. Because the companies back then were pretty much all independent, they were competing for the same market segments. So if you wanted a "quality" diving watch say, one from Longines/Zenith/IWC/Rolex/Omega were all in and around the same price for similar models.

Basic, black and white and small German Sinn advert from the early 90's when they were tasked with selling off some of the German military's stock of old Heuer Bund.

125o0lg.jpg

Not so cheap either, even before the renaissance of "old watches that tick" really took off. IIRC around a thousand dollars/pounds at the time. So about 1800 quid in today's terms? For the Average Man in the Street™ that would have been expensive enough, when a "good watch" could be had in a local jewellers for well under half that*. I do recall seeing the same advert in a UK newspaper around that time and thinking ooh I'd like that, but it was beyond my reach. Got one in the end around seven years ago and I paid about the same as they were originally advertised for. So I bided my time... 😀 Got in just before the madness on those(still the "cheapest" way into a Heuer chrono as far as I'm aware?).

M.

Just to add some perspective, around this time a Sinn 142 St Sa was around 800 DM, send directly by Helmut Sinn.
😁

125o0lg.jpg

Not so cheap either, even before the renaissance of "old watches that tick" really took off. IIRC around a thousand dollars/pounds at the time. So about 1800 quid in today's terms? For the Average Man in the Street™ that would have been expensive enough, when a "good watch" could be had in a local jewellers for well under half that*.

I'd say that DM were roughly worth half/a third of a pound, so not so bad after all.

Hope this is of interest.
1 (1).jpg

I visit a site that holds thousands of magazines and comicbooks long in PD.
I have noticed many have ads for watches and such. When I run across one of interest I can add it here.

I visit a site that holds thousands of magazines and comicbooks long in PD.
I have noticed many have ads for watches and such. When I run across one of interest I can add it here.[/QUOTE]

Please do!