Forums Latest Members
  1. Bdugie Apr 15, 2021

Wondering how often members end up using Omega Warranty for material (not trivial) items. Wondering the real “value” of a warranty and the risk of buying without, but saving $500...

2. kcgunner Apr 15, 2021

I used the warranty on the clasp for my 300m just a few months after buying it. They put a new clasp on that has never had an issue again and gave the old clasp back that I ended up being able to fix and sell. Considering those clasps go for about $300 I came out ahead on mine already.

andymartin045 likes this.
  3. Omega-Q Apr 15, 2021

I used warranty on my brand new SM in my profile pic. The bezel was misaligned, and also the bracelet was not sitting flush with the watch itself. One piece of the Tantalum bracelet left too big of a gap. My OB gladly took it back and sent it in for warranty work. No cost to me...I was just without my brand new watch for a while....:)

4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 15, 2021

Some enamel paint on the back of a limited edition Speedmaster of mine began to flake off about one year after purchasing it at an Omega Boutique. The folks at the Botique were genuinely embarrassed and distressed that this had happened. The watch was sent to Bienne, Switzerland where a new enamel paint was formulated and the watch repainted. Without this being done, the future value of the watch would have been greatly reduced. All covered by warranty.

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 15, 2021

This thread does little for the brand. Whole shit!!

As for warranties of all my watches only twice have I needed to use warranties.

Now was a factory warranty on an IWC and the other was a Bob’s Rolex watches ( non factory hut authorized) Rolex warranty on a vintage Rolex. On both cases the work was well worth the advantage of the warranty.

bu the other 60 or so watches I have had no need for work.

Based on your question i am assuming you’re considering in buying gray market. Most gray market dealers have their own service warranty. the issue is not on the value of the service, the issue is on the value of the sale if you even sell the watch again as many buyers will not want to buys a watch without all the papers , including warranty, even if expired.

It’s a thing.

6. 502 to right Apr 16, 2021

I've had to use a Rolex warranty twice. One because a 3135 movement simply stopped working and another because a 3235 movement (purchased new from an AD less than a year before) was running slow and below spec amplitude.

I've never needed to get one of my Omega's serviced under warranty and I've owned as many Omega's as Rolex's.

I would say if you can save $600 or more gray market (which is more than a standard service) you should consider it. That said, I value the relationship with my Omega AD more than saving a few hundred dollars here and there. I would have to save some serious money (as in well more than $1,000) to bypass my AD on a current model. If you are looking at a discontinued model that's another matter.

7. Donn Chambers Apr 16, 2021

I purchased all of my new Omegas from ADs at more than $500 off AND they all came with the full warranty. So in this case you can have your cake and eat it too if you take your time shopping around.

I’ve only had warranty work done on one Omega, and that was the circa-2000 Seamaster GMT that developed the hour-hand issue in the second year. This was a known problem at the time, and it was quickly handled under warranty by a local authorized Omega watchmaker.

Odds are, you will never need a warranty repair, but it is nice to have. And just remember, that if you think you are saving a lot of money by buying a used watch that is 5-10 years old, you really need to factor in a complete service into your price or you are likely to be sorely disappointed at your “bargain.”

8. Bdugie Apr 16, 2021

Yes I’m looking gray market on current Omega PO and there is only one AD in my state that has little reason to discount. It is a $1000 delta, which feels a bit excessive for warranty coverage (I don’t value the AD / jewelry store experience much). Appreciate all the input.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 16, 2021

If you don’t mind the possible depreciation of and when you sell the watch, and depending on the gray dealer, you should be safe with the dealers warranty.

have you checked if they offer their own warranty?

Do you mind sharing with us the gray dealer name ( if it’s a company and not an individual) some of us may have prior experience with them.

You can PM me the name if you feel more comfortable.

10. Rado63 Apr 16, 2021

Can't comment on the need for warranty because sometimes you need it and often you don't. A new movement I would want it. something that has been in production for couple of years, then may be less likely to need warranty repairs for anything. I would think you could get $500.00 off of a watch at an Omega dealer. The Omega boutique may or may not discount. Doesn't seem like enough savings to not have the card as a complete set, and to not get an Omega warranty. If you were saving 30% off retail then maybe you have something to work with, but $500 doesn't seem to make me want to purchase from a secondary market dealer. Call some Omega ADs.

11. Bdugie Apr 16, 2021

It’s Jomashop. That is the baseline for purchase with no sales tax and ability to use credit card. Next option - it appears other folks are out there who can get a watch with dealer warranty card but have to wire money. From there the next choice is the AD jewelry store in my state. Am I missing an oppty?

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 16, 2021

That's pretty much it. You can ask some of the veteran sellers like @Kringkily or @thegoldenswan if they can source you anything. I have sourced watches through both of them and they're fair and reliable. always. Yes, you wire money, but they are, in my experience 100% standup.

Jomashop is also an honest gray market dealer with a very good record. If memory serves me well they do offer warranty on their watches, albeit not factory warranty just their own. You may want to ask them to send you the terms of their warranty for review before buying. I do seem to remember they are very finicky with their return policy though...as on: you opened the boxed and breathed on the watch it is yours now.

Lastly, do ask your dealer. Even if you think they may not bring the price down you never loose anything buy just asking honestly.

Although Jomashop is not bad they other options are much better to me....and I have used all four!.

13. Gruesome Apr 16, 2021

You could check on chrono24 for a discounted new watch with full warranty.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 16, 2021

My 3313 POC got a service under warranty when it stopped for no reason, and by no reason I mean I dropped it 3 inches onto marble at exactly the wrong angle.

3nicewatches likes this.
  15. SkunkPrince Apr 16, 2021

My modern Omegas were bought used and then sem-immediately serviced. Unfortunately, I've had to use the service warranty. :(

16. eldiano84 Apr 17, 2021

My experience with grey market dealers is horrendous, I obviously can’t speak about everyone, just my own experience, i had an omega service through an AD outside the states where instead of fixing things they just swap parts out, his niche was scratching out serial numbers off movements so he could only service the watch and not omega. It took me 10 years to realize I was screwed after i tried using Omega to service the same watch. They wouldn’t touch it. Add to the notion that at the time i didn’t maintain boxes I threw it away and there was nothing they could do about it.

Last year I heard horror stories of Rolex taking like 6-9months to service watches but I sent mine in using the 750$ service fee and it took them 2 months. Here’s the difference, When I sent my watch to Rolex, within a week I got an email acknowledging the watch arrival, then a week later I got an email regarding the actual estimate of the work, if you approve it or deny then you get receipts of this and stuff followed by the email stating the work was completed. Every single part they replaced, they kept it. Back when I had water damage around the mid 00’s on the same watch they actually send me back the damaged movement, but this time when they replaced my bracelet they kept EVERYTHING.

My problem with my first Omega, actually motivated me to purchase one through a Boutique, so somehow, someway my sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel got scratched badly, i can take a wild guess it has something to do with my newborn but anyways normally i wouldn’t mind but they stand out like a sore thumb, anyways I’m still under the regular factory warranty, the work on the watch hasn’t been estimated as of yet and I’m having the worst experience. I literally emailed them about the problem early February, towards the end of that month ZERO response towards my service repair at all. I had to email them and ask them when they were planning to send out the box for the service and the swatch group sent out 2 BOXES, one of them got lost in transit. Anyways I get the service box, send out my watch, two weeks go by and nothing, i waited a month to email them and ask them if they got it at least, and a week later they replied back that my watch is still in line to get the initial estimate on it and they will asses the fees later on. A month and a half later and I have to inquire about the watch that to my surprise it hasn’t even started. So from Early February to right now I have not gotten an estimate so who knows how long it will take to get service.

I get covid setback everyone but I was just worried my package got stolen or swapped out, I only emailed them to see if they could find my watch at least.

With that said I need to send my back rolex because the dial is not aligned to the bezel, it’s like one tick completely off and it’s a bit annoying but I have a feeling my rolex right now would get serviced faster than the omega I sent out after Omega receiving my watch early march, so IDDk at this point, I’m fine with waiting but so far it’s me doing the communication.

I could have sent it to the boutique for sure but I wanted it a bit polished also and they told me they don’t do it as of right now.

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 17, 2021

Had heaps of warranties on everything from watches, white goods, electronics to cars and never needed them. But the few times I have needed them I am glad I had them. Recently saved my skin on a fridge that was 3 weeks short of the end of a 5 year warranty. Saved me $2500.....

Shit happens with watches and nearly 10 years here have seen enough from all the watch brands to say go with a warranty.

18. ERH Apr 17, 2021

Warranties are insurance policies, only insure what you cannot afford to lose