Forums Latest Members

Wakmann Triple Date Reverse Panda (TDRP) owners

1. keepsonticking Jan 8, 2023

6D661F31-5348-40DC-B65E-BE8B1374AC6D.jpeg I posted a thread two days ago about one of these that I have recently given a new heart and am wearing now. There may already be a thread like this here, but I didn't see one in a quick search. I feel these are watches worth discussing, but for some reason, they are treated like a homecoming queen candidate with a pretty face but who may be carrying a few extra pounds.

I own two of these now but don't wear them much, not because they aren't attractive. I find this to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing chronographs of that era...or now, and they have solid movements. The chrono functions are superior to several others I own. And even the date features on mine are reliable. They keep reasonably good time, too. So why are the prices on them still mostly below 3k, and why are there always half a dozen of them for sale on ebay? At less than 3k, how many great-looking, reliable vintage chronographs with a Val 72 family movement are there to be had? I'm not sure I can think of any. The 72 was good enough for those old Daytonas for a very long time, and one could easily argue that they are not really any better built than the Wakmann.

Is it just the name "Wakmann" that holds them back? It can't be the pretty face. Is there anything that makes it unattractive? Not in my eyes. I look forward to a fulsome and thoughtful discussion and some great photos.

Edited Jan 8, 2023
  2. janice&fred Jan 8, 2023

At $2000 to $3000 selling value I don't think anything is holding those back. What do you think they should be worth? Daytona money? Wakmann is a respected brand so I'm not sure where you are getting your negative impression except resale price. If anything you should be grateful they are still affordable.

Davidt and bardamu like this.
  3. sheepdoll Jan 8, 2023

Try finding any Val-72 for under 2 grand. Especially if it has case and dial.

I keep pouring time and money into the one I have. Even worse, it is an 'old style' from the 1940s, so the modern parts are different. At least one can get balances for a price. Parts do tend to turn up although since they fit certain 'R' models they command 'R' type prices. The minute jumper springs on the other hand...

The other issue is that unless one checks the pusher spacing, it is hard to tell what the movement is till the case is opened. Wakmann dials often show in Landerons and probably Venus as well. I have a lot of Landerons. Most of these chrono movements do not have serial numbers. There is also nothing to state if the chrono bridge is original to the movement.

It does seem strange how some dials seem to be of more interest than others. I have a soft spot for Delbana. I over-painted some Gallet in my youthful ignorance. I have also started to become more interested in Wakmann. Especially after finding the A Schild compatible dial on the Christmas weekend. (Like Santa hid it there.)

I have also been looking for Enicar dial and parts as well. I think all these brands had different grades and price points. So it is not quite the same as brands which survived the 1970s and 1980s through consistent marketing.

4. keepsonticking Jan 8, 2023

Can you name a comparable chronograph that sells for less than 3k in excellent condition? I’m getting my impression from my experiences. Where do you get yours? Even an 861 or 1861 Speedmaster from the 70s is likely to cost double.

Edited Jan 8, 2023
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 8, 2023

I sold mine here, collector grade, last summer. Researched under 3K sales on the bay, all flawed watches some were pure junk. I obviously discounted the C24 offers that were North of 4K, but they were collector grade. Opened at $3200 …Sold it for less. I lost some money but less than the service I had planned but never done. So much for “BUY THE BEST EXAMPLE YOU CAN AFFORD”. Niche market perhaps. Hodinkee had one recently. It sold immediately and I’ll bet for more than 3K. Perhaps their day will come. I share your frustration too.

keepsonticking likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 8, 2023

Shakespeare's famous line from Romeo and Juliet "What's in a name?" unfortunately does not apply to watches...

7. janice&fred Jan 9, 2023

I didn't just start doing this last week. Wakmann is a good brand but it isn't a Breitling, Omega or Rolex. Wakmann sells for less. Same for other good but not red hot brands like Bucherer. It is what it is.

Mark020 likes this.
  8. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 9, 2023

Just landed this one. I do have 2 NOS dials somewhere. As in: no clue where but somewhere in the house ;-)

IMG-9662.JPG

9. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 9, 2023

Found the dial (as well as another one). Hope it will fit... (also found a Rolex DJ dial I had no idea of owning it). Anyone a lead (or idea what exactly I am looking for) on pushers?

IMG-9697.jpg

Edited Jan 9, 2023
  10. calalum Jan 9, 2023

Here is mine that I have had for a long time and never properly enjoyed. I like the size and shape and dial look. And the movement. But Daytona money? Uh, no. But that goes for most of the UTR watches that many of us know and love. My suggestion is to just enjoy them and look for other avenues for those tuition and other bills.

Gigandet.jpg

janice&fred, Orion78, Dsloan and 3 others like this.
  11. Orion78 Jan 10, 2023

Here is my 37mm "Evil Panda" Wakmann "Datora" Ref. 71.1309.70 with a Valjoux 730 :cool:
    Wakmann Chrono.jpg
    SIP Code "Y3" says made in Switzerland, by Gigandet for Wakmann, I think.

Edited Jan 10, 2023
    Mark020, TexOmega, Dsloan and 2 others like this.
  12. Dsloan Jan 10, 2023

Darn it, now I want one of these too. I'll have to find a side hustle to support my 2023 wishlist.

janice&fred likes this.
  13. TexOmega Jan 10, 2023

Circa 1963, some had the transitional val R723 movt. sourced from Breitling(WOG)along with an AOPA dial and a Gigandet 1309 marked SS case. Assembled in the US by Wakmann.
    Wakmann AOPA .jpg Wakmann AOPA R723 Breitling.jpg

67F96AF5-4E3B-4FC6-9462-56972C964FF5.jpeg

Orion78, Larry S and janice&fred like this.
  14. dmtowl Jan 10, 2023

Quick pic of my Gigandet-Wakman variation with pinstriped hands. I love all these models but I agree they are priced more than fairly and cant see them getting much more expensive in the foreseeable future.

20230109_181325.jpg
  15. bardamu Jan 11, 2023

I have exactly the same configuration, cobranded Commodoor since it came from the Netherlands. Valjoux 72c inside.
    A great watch, I love it!

20221024_103506.jpg
  16. Davidt Jan 11, 2023

I agree given the triple date feature and movement they’re relatively good value.
    As to comparables and why they aren’t worth more, basic S dial Heuer Camaros and Carreras with V92 start at $3-3.5k.
    Decent 70’s Speedmasters can also be had from $4.5k, not 6k.

Effectively above 3k you’re into a much more competitive market.

Mark020 likes this.
  17. DavidGlover Dec 10, 2023

Feeling lucky, I got this 72.1309.70 yesterday from a local watch club member here in Oklahoma. Was told the bracelet is original. Keeping good time (maybe a bit fast). Any suggestions for goo people to service something like this in the future?

72.1309.70.png

Orion78 likes this.