Forums Latest Members
  1. snunez Jan 22, 2019

I had another thread going on the failure of the water resistance test on one of my new acquisitions and it got me to wondering just how many vintage pieces would be able to pass this test?

So, question for the watchmakers: What do you think? Of those vintage (say 1950-1970) pieces you have tested, approximately what percentage have passed a 30m test? Does it vary by vintage (decade, e.g. 1950's vs. 1960's)? Do the later monocoque cases make a difference?

DaveK and LameBMX like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 22, 2019

All depends on conditions of the gasket and luck.

A properly serviced watch with new gaskets should have it’s original rating.

Unserviced or old gaskets coin flip as to when it fails. But assume washing your hands is the limit.

jaguar11 and connieseamaster like this.
  3. Dan S Jan 22, 2019

I'm not a watchmaker, but I think the crown is a key issue here. In some crowns, the gasket can be replaced, and in those watches, I think you'll often have a good chance of getting the watch reasonably water resistant with all new seals. But some crowns were not made to have their seals replaced. So will you use a service crown, or keep the old crown and compromise water resistance? I guess some people have figured out how to repack some vintage crowns with new seals ...

4. Tophership Jan 22, 2019

I've looked into this myself on my late 50's seamaster, mostly because I'd like to not be paranoid when I take it out and about. From what I've found it come to a couple factors. Dan's comment is accurate where the proper crown/gasket plays a part, along with all the gaskets being important for a water tight seal, but also down to the type of casebook closure (Screwback/Snapback). A more common issue than I would have thought that plays into it as well is any warping that may have occurred with the case back or the case itself.

Overall, the recommendations that I have heard is that it's a gamble and there's always a possibility that sooner or later it's going to fail. On a newer watch possibly under warranty where source parts aren't an issue and may even still be in production, you'll likely only be out on the time it takes to get it serviced. On some more rare movements or configurations you might be potentially risking a one of a kind piece at the worst, and at best you could source parts that would likely be tough to find likely resulting in a much higher cost.

Similar article here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-seamasters-water-resistance.5655/

5. Mac5 Jan 22, 2019

Age + Water = Bad idea.

6. snunez Jan 22, 2019

Agreed, and I'm not asking because I want to take a watch to 30m, or even submerge it. Basically just enough water resistance so you do not have to worry about taking it off when washing hands or get caught in the rain. To me, this makes the difference between something that can be a daily wearer something that is collectable only. I'm hoping with a percentage figure from some of the experts I'll know whether to keep looking or to give up and just wear something modern.

DaveK likes this.
  7. dan7800 Jan 22, 2019

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2019

I would say 70% of the watches that are from the 60’s and 70’s that I service could be water resistant after the work is done. 50’s era are lower because more of those have snap on case backs.

It really has nothing to do with seals, because those are replaced during service, so as the other threads on this topic illustrate its about the condition of the sealing surfaces.

Of course all this depends on what the customer is willing to do to get water resistance, such as replacement of the crown.

Cheers, Al

dan7800 likes this.
  9. snunez Jan 22, 2019

Oh, that's good news then. I was thinking it might be < 10% or so. With a 70% chance, it won't be too long before finding one. Maybe even one of those in the service pipeline now.

10. jaguar11 Jan 23, 2019

My 1967 Submariner is perfectly fine and I have no issues about swimming with it. It is of course properly serviced and sealed!

Dan S likes this.
  11. Dan S Jan 23, 2019

This reminded me of a story. My watchmaker was telling me about a client who has worn his 5513 Sub every day since he bought it in the 1970s. It's his only watch. :eek: He has it serviced at regular intervals and pressure-tested every Spring, since he is an avid fly fisherman. My watchmaker says that so far it has always still passed at least a 100m pressure test, which of course wasn't the original depth rating, but good enough for submersion. He says that he keeps warning the client that it has become a really valuable watch and that he shouldn't take the risk, but the client is determined to keep using it as he originally intended.

I recently bought a 5513 from the 70s that was extremely well-worn and had clearly not been serviced in a very long time. After service and seal replacement, it also passed a 100m pressure test. :thumbsup:

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 23, 2019

^^^ not unusual at all. Lots of vintage watches could be made water resistant again, and this is not specific to Rolex or Omega.

Dan S likes this.
  13. Muddlerminnow Jan 23, 2019

Yes, we fly fishermen are a decidedly stubborn lot. We sometimes fish $5K bamboo rods with a $5K watch on our wrist because it is.....satisfying doing something we like doing with tools we appreciate....

14. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 23, 2019

My 47 Oyster case can't make it from the car to the house without taking on water if it's raining.... original seals may be past their "best before" date.

15. Mitka Jan 24, 2019

I don't drive my old cars on salty roads and I don't wear my vintage watches in the rain;)

It's just like Archer says, most watches can be made waterproof again, but usually requires a good case with minimal pitting/scratching and no deformation + all new gaskets inc crown.

16. chipsotoole Jan 24, 2019

Even cooking over steamy pots can cause condensation clouds in a couple of my watches! It's currently -2 degrees outside and snowing heavily, such conditions will always have an effect on what watch I choose to wear on a given day...as does going on holiday, and working in the garden. You don't necessarily have to "baby" vintage watches, but at least be nice to them. If you haven't got the readies to justify an annual pressure test and service just to wear a particular watch in challenging wet conditions then don't wear it there....That's why "beaters" were invented..I don't go off to work on my bike on cobblestone roads wearing a vintage JLC dress watch either... however much I like it!