Forums Latest Members

Real world water resistance Speedmaster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.RETSAM Jan 2, 2019

Greetings and Happy New Year!

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first speedy pro (new .005) and I was curious for some real world feedback on the water resistance.

I know its rated for 5 bar and I certainly don't plan on swimming with this watch, but when it comes to washing dishes, bathing the kids or taking a shower - could I leave it on?

What "wet" environments do you feel comfortable leaving a speedmaster on your wrist?

2. regishaunus Jan 2, 2019

Had a shower with mine on (by mistake) yesterday. No issues, but I wouldn’t swim with it on.

J.RETSAM likes this.
  3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jan 2, 2019

As Archer has repeatedly stated, with a new watch 50 metres means 50 metres.

CTS-V, Shabbaz, 8100_RPM and 6 others like this.
  4. amphib44 Jan 2, 2019

I wore my 1994 Speedmaster everyday for 20 years. I showered with it on, I swam with it on, I walked in the rain, etc. I've had it serviced 3 times since I bought it new. In all that time, with all that activity, I never had a problem with water ingress. It is rated to 50 meters. Believe it.

Ingmar, Cougar1968, Hands90 and 4 others like this.
  5. J.RETSAM Jan 2, 2019

thats great! thank you

6. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jan 2, 2019

The odd swim is fine but it's no diver's watch - keep it away from sand and salt water, and whatever you do don't operate the pushers or pull out the crown when it's submerged.

sah and D.D. like this.
  7. J.RETSAM Jan 2, 2019

Makes total sense! I am more concerned with the daily activities like I mentioned mainly showering/washing dishes in the sink. I was just thinking that it might be more likely to get damaged (by dropping or someone knocking it off) if I took it off and set it on a counter every time I got in the shower.

Thanks all for the input

8. VintageWatchIta Jan 2, 2019

The Speedmaster is fine for daily activities, as the shower, but I wouldn't suggest for swimming and dips (when it comes up to vintage).
    For the new ones, I think there is no problem at all ;)

J.RETSAM likes this.
  9. amphib44 Jan 2, 2019

Good advice with regard to the crown/pushers. Again, I have worn my Speedmaster all over the world. I have been in the ocean and on the beach with it. I only took it off to wind it every morning. I never had a problem with moisture.
    Having said that, if you like to take exceedingly hot showers, you may want to take it off before going in. Hot water over a period of time may cause some expansion of metal. Normal showers and water temps shouldn't cause any problems.

J.RETSAM likes this.
  10. Stufflers Mom Jan 2, 2019

Here's some even better advice, if you want a watch to wear in the shower, pool or sea, buy a Seiko diver.

11. amphib44 Jan 2, 2019

There's no reason to keep running around the same tree, so I'll finish my involvement by saying that, per Omega's own specifications, a properly serviced and maintained Speedmaster is water-resistant to 50 meters. Do with that information what you will...

Emil, 8100_RPM, gostang9 and 3 others like this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 2, 2019

As delivered water resistance... that being said a small knock on the pushers can ruin any water resistance.

I’d not do more then wash hands with a speedy.

Duckie likes this.
  13. siguzzi Jan 2, 2019

Checking the water resistance periodically is more important than making yourself worry about how deep you can go

STANDY, gostang9, ac106 and 2 others like this.
  14. Duckie Jan 2, 2019

This is true to an extent.
    But things can happen to a watch between WR tests. Some of which one may not be aware of entirely.

In summary, it may be WR to its rated depth today as it's presented for the test.
    Tomorrow, it may not be and compromised.
    50 m is not a lot to play with from the start even though in theory it would seem adequate.

15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 2, 2019

How deep is your bathtub/ kitchen sink? I can't imagine there would be more than one foot of water depth in either, and likely a watch would not be submerged more than a couple inches.

A compromised seal is a compromised seal. Moisture vapor from the air is just as likely to bypass a compromised seal as actual water drops. A bad seal will let moisture into the watch no matter what.

All that being said, I do not usually keep my Speedmaster on when I give my son a bath, and I sometimes take it off when I was dishes. But that is because I have a leather strap on it.

16. Stufflers Mom Jan 2, 2019

It's not all about depth, it's more to do with the pressure applied to the seals

17. Greatpa Jan 2, 2019

I would buy a dishwasher before a Speedmaster.. Also one less water activity to worry about :rolleyes:

18. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 2, 2019

Please illustrate to me what you can do while washing dishes or giving a kid a bath that will appreciably increase the pressure on the seals to anything remotely approaching the pressure due to 50 meters of hydrostatic pressure. I promise I can follow any calculations you present.

Archer, Reddy_Kilowatt and d6diver like this.
  19. Stufflers Mom Jan 2, 2019

Please continue to use your own property in any way you see fit, me I won't even wear a Speedy on a wet lawn.

20. J.RETSAM Jan 2, 2019

Good point and I got one! sometimes dishes need scrubbed even before going into the dishwasher (dried egg...oatmeal) since not everyone in the family rinses before throwing them in the sink - I know I know - it's a personal problem :)

All makes sense, thanks!

Thank you again for all the input and consideration. With this post, I am mostly interested in the real world usage/concern that speedy owners have. I'm not gonna wear it into a pool or at the beach and I wouldn't be submerging it more than 6" of water.

I can already hear heads exploding ::stirthepot::, but does anyone know if the pushers need to be completely pressed down to allow for water intrusion or do they just need to pushed a little to allow moisture in? For example, would the chrono need to be started underwater or would a simple wrist bend pressing on the pusher cause leakage?

Greatpa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.