Forums Latest Members

Vintage watches that have increased in value (past year)

1. JacksonPollock Sep 24, 2019

Hi All, what pieces have you noticed that have increased in value the past 12 months?

I have noticed:
    1. Movado 95M Panda dials have and continue to surge in value. Maybe a 40% gain in the past year.
    2. Movado 95M chronographs in general don't stay on Chrono24 very long
    3. Chrono24 is saying that Rolex sports models are continuing upward as well.

What do you think? Are there any vintage subsets that you've noticed are gaining popularity?

2. Pvt-Public Sep 24, 2019

I would say most vintage watches go up to some extent or another. Not all will, but most will.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. harrymai86 Sep 24, 2019

Condition condition condition

4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 24, 2019

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 24, 2019

lol! Surely you jest.

Alpha, Edward53 and Larry S like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Sep 24, 2019

None, watches only lose value, horrible investment opportunity- stay away, stay away!!
    (Dude....shhhhh!!!):whipped:

Larry S and DaveK like this.
  7. JacksonPollock Sep 24, 2019

Lots of good perspectives on Vintage Rolex in that thread. One post about the "sky is falling" triggered a wave of posts calling "chicken little".

I still have trouble seeing the value in vintage Rolex. It's cool and all but the value is just not there especially in their 1940s or Pre-Daytona pieces which look like anything else from that era. I think most of the vintage market is just buying them because they're safer bets.

Benbradstock likes this.
  8. Screwbacks Sep 24, 2019

what are your vintage watches the values of which had increased to your knowledge?

9. JacksonPollock Sep 24, 2019

Honestly...none. I've only been collecting for 3 years which is nothing compared to those who bought UG Ninas for $2500 or 1st Edition Autavias for $3500. Most of my increases in value in these 3 years have been in modern Rolex, which I just spoke down about. lol I've found good deals but those aren't the same as value appreciation.

10. JacksonPollock Sep 24, 2019

I agree if in good condition. I have a Tissot 3-register crono that I've decided not to sell because it is in excellent condition. It's not a hot watch but worth keeping if only to just say "I have the best example".

gemini4 and DaveK like this.
  11. Pvt-Public Sep 24, 2019

2367-4 Chronometre. I don't know the retail in 1947, but I know it's worth more now.
    Do I ? Unfortunately a lot won't, but Some will.

trash_gordon and eugeneandresson like this.
  12. JwRosenthal Sep 24, 2019

I have been looking at 60's/70's divers for a little while, nothing special, just the mass produced French and cheap Swiss stuff that had some fun dial configurations and were sold by department stores and low-end jewelry shops. Many of these were $25-50 watches 3 years ago, now you see the better ones (17-23 jeweled, eta/Felsa/FHF based movements, SS cases) going for upward of $3-400, that's just nuts! I think social media (Instagram) and online blogs like Hodinkee drive much of the frenzy for the neuvo-collectors which in turn drives up the prices. I think there are a select few who are "influencers" in the new watch collector industry that are changing the market awareness at their whim, it's an interesting phenomena.

JacksonPollock likes this.
  13. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Sep 24, 2019

i hope you all enjoyed the mountain climber from the price is right. you do remember what happens he gets to the edge. right now he's scaling down on frayed rope off the screen

14. JacksonPollock Sep 24, 2019

I have to agree that the price may fall on these average condition pieces, which makes them great buys for hobbyists and newcomers. However, I don't see the prices for ones in excellent condition coming down. I was once in the market for a Rolex 16700 and saw one unworn sell for $15k and very shortly after a NOS example sold for $20k. One in decent condition(B&P) sells for $11k. I can't count how many times I've kicked myself for not spending 2-3k more for a watch in better condition and am now stuck with an expensive watch that won't sell.

Anyways, the mountain climber was my least favorite game since it almost always ended badly. The outcomes were either A. win and always wonder if you could've gone further and won more or B. Fall off the cliff w/ nothing.

15. shishy www.hpmor.com Sep 24, 2019

That one will come down

Timo832000 likes this.
  16. Theluglife Sep 24, 2019

polerouters? that's teh vibe I get anyway

17. JacksonPollock Sep 25, 2019

I concur. I sold my polerouter within 4 hours on posting on eBay for the same price I paid earlier this year. I thought it was in bad condition but it still ticked some boxes I guess. I'm looking for another polerouter and I have my eye on the black dial w/ longer case design. Actually, that's another pick for a watch to go up in value: the longer sleeker case style really speaks to me. Very 1980s space look.

The hunt is on for these and I'll be looking for rare/different dials w/o the date.

18. Shabbaz Sep 25, 2019

All of my vintage watches increased extremely in value in the past year. ;)

Edited Sep 25, 2019
  19. JwRosenthal Sep 25, 2019

In 2001 my house was purchased by the PO for $145k. In 2003 I bought it for $265k. In 2006 it was appraised at $400k. In 2010 is was reappraised at $200k. I am always skeptical when people say the bottom won’t drop out and it’s only up from here. All markets, collectibles in particular, are elastic. I appreciate people being willing to shell out $100k+ on a rare watch, just as people do on art. But we have seen the art market collapse and rebound before, and collapse again. Just always understand that it’s gambling- like any form of investing. The only people who make money (and I mean real money, not $1k profit on a watch you bought 3 years ago) are the people who have been doing this for years and really know what they are doing. Day traders beware.

20. KingCrouchy Sep 25, 2019

Every Watch I own and wear daily has increased in emotional value. My watches aren't an investment, on some I win, on some I lose a few bucks if I sadly have to sell them. It's just a hobby. But it's true that in the last 3 years prices have risen massively for pieces in good condition.