Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage Universal Geneve Exotic Slate Tricompax 881101/03

1. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

Yes nothing more sophisticated than counting and collecting photos from Google and checking what to look out for etc.

How this started was my own due diligence work to check if this is indeed a legit piece without the Tricompax font.

And, either I'm dumb/ stupid/ using non-sophisticated methods or indeed, there are less than 10 unique examples surfaced purely based from my hard work using Google search.

And trust me, it isn't magic.

2. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

Do you truly believe that more than ten of these are known to exist?

No, im not trying to be defensive or funny. I'm just trying to know what I'm missing when you came up with that question.

Thank you.

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 18, 2016

Well,

I think for most collectors - we like to follow a certain law of the watch universe. That is, for ever watch you see on a google search, you can expect multitudes more in existence within the market/collector's circle. No human could find every example on the infinite corners of the internet. And even if you could - there are predicted a shocking number of collectors off the grid (https://omegaforums.net/threads/is-...iceberg-talkin-off-the-grid-collectors.38692/). To summarize the number of known examples to those you can find on a google search is naivety bent towards your interest, I think. But don't take that too harshly. I'm sure you watch would have sold for 35k with or without that statement.

4. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

That's why for simplistic sake, I used the word, surfaced.

I dare not use the term, existed, nor will I ever be convinced if someone used that term unless they have every evidence from production numbers with reliable sources.

Trust me, I'm skeptical, and I usually strip marketing terms naked when I view a sales ad.

Have a nice day.

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 18, 2016

But that's the thing - I would never use the word "surfaced", for the reasons I in detail described above...

For example, I once owned a beautiful Omega chronometre pocket watch of which I have only found two examples on the internet after some research. Never would I ever say, upon selling it, that only two examples have ever surfaced. I would with the mind of reason have to expect that many more have surfaced than that and that I just don't have the personal time or resources to know about them.

What would have been more accurate would to say that only ten or less examples are known to you.

Anyway,
    Thanks for the convo.

erpin9 and reficul_x like this.
  6. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

Good suggestion.

I admit that it was some laziness from my part on this.

Thanks again.