Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage Universal Geneve Exotic Slate Tricompax 881101/03

1. reficul_x Jun 17, 2016

Hi collectors,

On sale today is a pretty rare watch in its own right, the Universal Geneve Tricompax 881101/03, also nicknamed, the Exotic dial version Tricompax. (I started this nickname years back since for my lack of vocab, lol)

Dial is in very good, excellent condition, and all parts work as it should. No details of service history, but chrono, calendar correctors all work perfect. As you probably already know, this "exotic" slate dial is the rarer version in the tricompax sports model. In this slate version, there are 2 execution, one with tricompax at 6 and the other, like this one, without. One could only guess why, but the san tricompax version is more seldom seen, definitely less than 10 ever surfaced. Case is polished and bezel has some marks. Overall, excellent specimen from a 60s watch.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Solid trade references upon request.I am asking for USD 35,000 shipped to your doorstep.

Thanks

Larry S, smish, adam78 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 18, 2016

You truly believe that less than ten of these are known to exist?

3. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

For the san Tricompax slate dial, yes.

Why? Have you seen more?

4. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

And oh, if you refer to my description, I said, less than 10 surfaced. I didn't say "existed". You're reading between the lines.

Cheers.

5. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

Sold pending funds. :)

Drawarms and smitty190373 like this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 18, 2016

Love it.

Drawarms and reficul_x like this.
  7. smitty190373 Jun 18, 2016

wow...lovely

reficul_x likes this.
  8. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 18, 2016

I wish... Sold darn quick! Congrats to the buyer!

reficul_x likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 18, 2016

...toil and trouble.

Congrats to the seller; hope the buyer is planning to wear, and doesn't have unrealistic expectations about potential appreciation (or even value retention).

Edited Jun 18, 2016
    reficul_x likes this.
  10. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

Sigh. I don't know what you're aiming to achieve with this post.

It does no one any good. And let's not forget when the Daytonas Paul Newman hits 50k, everyone was skeptical. Or when the Nina hits 20k, everyone was trying to predict when it will crash.

Everything has its market, just timing.

There's no need to rain on someone's parade just because you strongly feel against; unless, it's a fact.

Cheers.

11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 18, 2016

You don't see any value in identifying bubbles? Try telling that the countless people who have bought at or near the top, whether watches, homes, or stocks, etc.

I assume that the buyer really likes the watch, and can afford to buy what he likes. That's all good. My post was much more of a warning to those who might expect that the recent skyrocketing values of certain models/brands is likely to continue for much longer.

aap and Willem023 like this.
  12. ping pong patina Jun 18, 2016

Congratulations beautiful watch !!

reficul_x likes this.
  13. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

Let's be clear.

When you "warn" you see real dangers and from facts.

When it is from an opinion, then, your opinion is as good as anyone's guesses.

Try sharing your opinion when someone open a new business, "your business may fail" or a wedding, "your hubby may cheat on you"

What's the point? What's your point?

Like I said, when Ninas, PN Daytonas, Autavias, Carreras were so called at their max prices, what happened to them now? Yes they may burst.... But they may not.

Are vintage watches value so easily derived using conventional accounting methods or calculated using any logic?

I believe this is an art, not science.

Granted however Everyone is entitled to their opinions. But be mindful.

I rest my case.

Steve9pm, t_swiss_t, jose75 and 2 others like this.
  14. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

Btw just for the record, a dealer friend has at least 5 firm offers for his, around my asking price.

And he still has the watch.

Just sharing the real demand in the market as many of these that were exchanged hands were not even listed.

And I have 2 other buyers asking me on this; if the guy isn't paying up, they want it.

Drawarms likes this.
  15. smitty190373 Jun 18, 2016

I'm pretty sure anyone that drops circa 35k on a watch will have a good idea of what's what.

See it, like it, buy it!

nixf6 and reficul_x like this.
  16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 18, 2016

I never suggested that it traded for other than its current market value, but you are clearly sophisticated enough to understand that the current value of anything is no guarantee that it will retain that value, let alone appreciate further. When bubbles burst, values typically change dramatically, and not to the upside.

I could present many facts to support the contention that certain vintage watches, properties, and stocks, etc., are significantly overvalued at the moment, as well as facts explaining why certain markets have been driven into bubble territory. My opinions are a distillation of many, many facts that are readily available to anyone who is paying attention, and interested in doing the research.

One thing that we probably would agree on, and especially in the context of late stage bubbles, is that timing is crucial. The point of my original post was a reminder that today's values, and recent past performances, are no guarantee of future performance. In fact, your repeated points about how prices have appreciated in recent years, and how skepticism shown by some has proven to be wrong, is exactly the same refrain heard from those promoting during every bubble in the history of mankind! I'm quite certain that during the peak of the Tulip mania in Holland in 1637, many Tulip sellers were making the very same argument.

Finally, I don't claim to know precisely when this bubble will pop, but anyone who doesn't understand that it is a bubble, and especially if they are "investing", may be putting themselves at risk.

Edited Jun 18, 2016
    Syrte, NT931 and reficul_x like this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 18, 2016

Last week I finally got to handle a few very nice Tri watches of this vintage over lunch with a forum member. Prior I had thought them not worth the premium. I no longer think that. Now I wish I'd gotten the collecting bug earlier. These are truely special watches. Sadly out of my reach now.

reficul_x likes this.
  18. reficul_x Jun 18, 2016

The Tricompax sports version, especially the slate and the turquoise dial variants are hardly for sale. At least they are very much rarer than many of the "feverish" pieces (bubbles as some might be) that we see today.

The future is of anyone's guess. But, this is one mighty watch and looks even better (and very special) in the flesh and if not for a Grail, this will never be on this page.

19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 18, 2016

To be clear, I have bought a few watches over the past couple of years that may well decline in value before they appreciate any further. And I am OK with that. So I did not intend to rain on the parade of the specific buyer of your watch.

As to the *true* value of the subject watch, my opinion is different than yours, and that of the current market. What I like to focus on in my own collecting are the disparities on the other side, i.e. buying watches that I believe to be undervalued.

Edited Jun 18, 2016
    reficul_x likes this.
  20. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 18, 2016

When I say "known to exist" - I mean exactly that. Confirmed examples. I did not mean that only ten were manufactured. But I don't go around counting the number of Tri-Compaxes I see on a google search and making that the number of "surfaced" examples.

Not sure how you got your magic number - but I assume it wasn't much more sophisticated.