Forums Latest Members

Is the Watch Collecting Community an Iceberg? Talkin' Off the Grid Collectors.

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 15, 2016

It's impossible to know - but perhaps possible to estimate the number of knowledgable collectors who do not engage in the internet arena. Who do not visit forums - or at least post. Who do not share Instagram photos or blogs.

What percentage of watch collectors do you think are off the grid?

This question mainly concerns collectors on par with the more respected members of this forum, who are very knowledgable in one area or more.

How many whales lurk under the waters? Have there been successful sightings?

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_199f475xnzusgokoscsc8k0gg_640.jpg
    Edited Apr 15, 2016
    Northernman and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 15, 2016

At most, only a small fraction of the most impressive collections that I have seen are shared online. I have no idea how to gauge broader percentages, but there are undoubtedly huge numbers of beautiful and/or important vintage watches that never see the light of...a pixel.

OMGRLX, Tritium, ulackfocus and 7 others like this.
  3. Mr Bing Apr 15, 2016

I read somewhere that 24% of Catholics attend church. Read into that what you like. :)

4. marturx Apr 15, 2016

I know such a whale that surfaced on internet forums just recently, including this one. @Skrotis
    I was hoping he should show some goodies here soon..... :whistling:

Northernman, OMGRLX and OMTOM like this.
  5. 2ar2c1 Apr 15, 2016

in my experience, 90/10, most collectors are not internet addicts, spending countless hours pouring over the minute drivel that is watch fora. i once attended a dinner for collectors of a certain brand, about 20 people, and i was the only one who knew the brand had a subforum on a major watch forum.

6. gop76 Apr 15, 2016

I don't how many but certainly there are a few.
    Some older people don't feel comfortable with the internet things, some don't feel safe exposing their collections, some collect and don't care about communities, a lot of reasons can be found...

P.S. - This week i knew a nice gentleman with 80 yo who has 180 watches in his collection. He has bought them in the last sixty years. I'm very doubtful that he spends a lot of time surfing in the internet looking at watches

OMGRLX and wsfarrell like this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 15, 2016

At a recent GTG I met a guy that had an unreal collection of vintage Rolex, and knew more than I ever could imagine.

He brought a sliver of his collection...not on forums of any sort.

The most unassuming guy you will ever meet, just a good ole boy from Johnston County.

There are a lot of him out there.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  8. glownyc Apr 16, 2016

Would you happen to know how he learned of the GTG if he's not on the forums?

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 16, 2016

6°?

Chinese Whispers?

Actual real face to face dialogue?

ulackfocus and UncleBuck like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 16, 2016

One would think people with the largest collections started a long time ago, and therefore did not need the internet to search for knowledge or for sellers. Surely we know of people with spectacular collections who have in fact also used the internet, but for old timers it might not be a need.

Edited Apr 17, 2016
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 16, 2016

Had a large collection of divers and hung around several other guys that collected divers in the late 80s and early 90s way before Internet and forums. Most were waterski guys that would meet at ski clubs and pubs to chat ski comps and share watches and boat types. Some of the watches I had then would have been worth a penny or more these days if I had of only known.

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 16, 2016

Seems to me its all about networking. Either with trusted dealers, friends, well regulated forums like this one. I've already learned here that E-Bay/Chrono 24 etc are basically flea markets for watches. Even Christie's screws up occasionally. Caveat Emptor.

adrienbelanger likes this.
  13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 16, 2016

Knew a guy that knew a guy that invited him

14. Ray916MN Apr 16, 2016

As best as I can tell, the vast majority of collectors are not active in Internet watch communities.

The legacy community in my area has been holding watch gatherings for decades, and started as pocket watch collectors. Invites are via postcards and the majority of watchmakers, jewelry store and watch supply house owners who are collectors are part of the community. They have no website, no forum, no email, no Facebook, no Instagram.

15. stiofan WUS topic importer Apr 16, 2016

Edited May 9, 2016
  16. JohnSteed Apr 16, 2016

+ +

17. meganfox17 Apr 17, 2016

All is Not Lost !

Many of You Wont Believe me if i told you this Celebrity Artiste is a True Watch Connoisseur ![​IMG]
    Many of You Would Believe me if i told you this Celebrity Artiste has more watches in his collection than the combined total number of underwears owned by the Omega forum community

[​IMG]
    Does he use Gold Toilet paper too ? [​IMG]
    This Dude needs a Good Spanking [​IMG]

Edited Apr 18, 2016
    OMGRLX and Miss_Bourginskay like this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 17, 2016

I think most people know about John Mayers collection. He writes a fair bit on a few popular watch websites. @meganfox17 ;)

meganfox17 likes this.
  19. dx009 Apr 17, 2016

Didn't he buy a watch from a friend/celebrity watch retailer and turned out to have some fake parts in it ? :whistling:

It is nice to see, a celebrity, and a young one, interested and with knowledge about watches.

OMGRLX and Foo2rama like this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 17, 2016

Yup http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ccused-selling-fake-Rolexes-admits-wrong.html

Although Orlando Bloom may have had worse luck an Early GMT and 1655 Orange hand got stolen..
    https://www.crownandcaliber.com/blo...uring-orlando-blooms-stolen-watch-collection/

Brand
    Model Serial Number Reference Number Description
    Rolex Milgauss 145151 6543 Black bezel, black/brown dial
    Rolex Submariner 307441 6538 James Bond crown, black dial and bezel
    Rolex Submariner 1076932 5513 Black face, stainless steel bezel, gilt dial
    Rolex GMT 696657 1675 GMT pointed crown guard, gilt underline dial, blue/red bezel (a.k.a. Pepsi bezel)
    Rolex Explorer 2 Made in 1973 1655 Steve McQueen, large orange hand
    Rolex Explorer 1 1732440 1016 1968 engraved on back of watch, black dial, 3-6-9 on dial
    Rolex Submariner (Green Bezel) F133041 16610 Stainless steel, green bezel, black dial
    IWC Fliegeruhr doppel-chronograph IW378601 3786 Black ceramic case, blue dial, white numbers, split second chronograph
    IWC Mk Made in 1940s Mk11 Military steel case, black dial, Arabic numerals, arrow on dial
    Bremont ALT1-C N/A ALT1-C Chronograph with silver dial

meganfox17 and Giff2577 like this.