Forums Latest Members

Vintage snap backs vs. screw backs and water resistance

1. wagudc Jan 15, 2021

Hi all,

I am on the search for late 50s / 60s Omega Seamaster or Constellation to wear regularly. I certainly don't plan to take the watch swimming, but don't want to worry about the rain or some incidental water splash.

My understanding is that a screwback case that has recently been serviced and passed a pressure test should be safe to wear on a rainy day. Is it it possible to do the same with a snap back? Is it a challenge to get a 50s Omega snap back case to pass a pressure test? Even if a snap back passes a pressure test, isn't it less secure and more likely for the back to become unseated? I would love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

Rudi99 likes this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 15, 2021

Well, I wouldn’t wear it swimming (as you know), in the shower, on the beach, or fishing or washing the car, washing up or bathing the dog but I’m perfectly happy to wear it at all other times. These watches are fairly robust.

If I’m doing anything that might get it properly wet - as opposed to the odd splash - I take it off and put it in my pocket.

wagudc likes this.
  3. wagudc Jan 15, 2021

You are talking about a snap back here correct? Do you feel that there is a significant difference in water resistance between snap back and screw back cases (both with a recent service)?

4. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 15, 2021

I’ve got both but am naturally careful.

Of course I keep it on if I’m just washing my hands but otherwise I just unbuckle and shove in a pocket.

wagudc likes this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 15, 2021

It's really down to the condition of the sealing surfaces. A screw back with corrosion is as likely to leak as a snap back in similar condition.

I'd be more concerned with leakage at the crown.

Spruce and wagudc like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 15, 2021

What specific "snap back" are you referring to? There are generally 2 types...

1 - Metal on metal, with no seal - these have zero water resistance.

2 - Metal on metal, but an O-ring is present inside the case back, that provides a seal - these can be water resistant.

The third type is more recent, and uses a hard plastic seal - these are easily water resistant with a new seal.

As already noted, a lot depends on the condition of the sealing surfaces on the case back, case, and of course the case tube and crown - crystal also, but it not typically a surface that gets corrosion all that much.

Spruce likes this.
  7. wagudc Jan 15, 2021

Thank you for the response. I am asking about Seamasters form the 50s/60s so they would be the 2nd type you mention.

For the sake of making my question concrete let's consider a hypothetical comparison of two sold watches from the sales section. A ref 2846 snap-back Seamaster, and a ref 14761 Screw back Seamaster (pictures and links below). Neither watch is pristine, but are both in pretty good condition. Suppose a person bought these watches and took them to a competent Omega certified watchmaker for an overhaul.

First: Based on the case design, would you expect it to be more difficult for the watchmaker to attain water resistance in one of the watches over the other?

Second: Assuming the watches had been serviced and passed a pressure test, is one case design more prone to future failures than the other?

--------------------------------------------
    The 2846 Snap back

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1958-ss-omega-seamaster-2846-ref-w-very-clean-two-tone-dial.102251/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 14761 Screw back
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/seamaster-14761-1-sc-with-wave-dial.68912/

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 15, 2021

No. The difficulty, as already stated, depends on the case condition.

The snap back case, due to the design of the seal interface, would be the watch I would trust less going forward.

In my own experience, the real answer with water resistance is more typically related to what the customer will accept in terms of parts replacements. If you want to use a 50+ year old crown, keep the "special" yellow gasket, well then it's pretty much impossible.

9. wagudc Jan 15, 2021

Thank you very much @Archer. As always, I appreciate your thoughtful and careful answer.

10. Professor Jan 15, 2021

Only thing I can say for certain about this is when I recently obtained a near mint 60's Caravelle I found it has a snap back and the rubber gasket looked new. Apparently a skillful restoration of an already excellent watch.
    I didn't put much faith in its water resistance due to the ease with which the back came off and almost silently snapped back in place.

Later on when I let a neighbor kid wash my dog, the girl had given me the dog because she couldn't keep her due to her huge size, I had to hold the dog's head steady while she rinsed her, which resulted in all three of us getting soaked to the bone.
    I had forgotten to take the Caravelle off so I was pleasantly surprised to find it had survived without any sign of a leak.
    The snap back of this case differs from others in being near tin cup shaped. Flat with short cylindrical wall rather than domed or tapered at the edge.

wagudc, Rudi99 and Spruce like this.