Forums Latest Members
  1. blubarb Apr 8, 2016

I have a mate here in Oz who owns a Watchco build Seamaster 300. For those unfamiliar with Watchco - a bit if background: Watchco were an Omega service centre in Australia and held a large parts inventory. In the early 2000's, they started building new SM300, SM120 and SHOM's from brand new replacement parts and period correct movements. Omega never had a problem servicing these watches. This watch he owns is possibly around early 2000s not sure when they stopped producing.

He has recently had the watch serviced by a very experienced Omega repairer. My friend wanted the watch pressure tested but the repairer has stated that his newly serviced watch would most likely pass a pressure test, but even if it did even if it did he couldn't guarantee that it would keep water out "...no watch is guaranteed water resistant regardless of if its a dive watch or not" my friend rightly asks the question, what is the point if a dive watch that is not guaranteed to keep water out even if it passes a pressure test. In this case, perhaps age has something to do with it, but I would have thought it would be more to do with gaskets.

In an attempt to help him (and me) understand I would be keen to hear your thoughts on this? Are watches guaranteed water resistant from the factory?

Thanks in advance

Edited Apr 8, 2016
  2. cimo Apr 8, 2016

I'm sure there are many people here with more experience than I have in this area, but my understanding is that a "waterproof disclaimer" of sorts is standard practice in the vintage world. Even though it's a 2000s manufacture watch, my guess is that the model is still considered vintage as it was made using period parts like you mentioned. Most vintage collectors won't let a watch near water, diver or not. If my understanding is correct, the watchmaker is basically saying "it might..it might not. are you sure you want to risk it?"

3. watchcollect Apr 8, 2016

I have a "watchco" and I have snorkeled and dived with mine and have not had a problem at all. A proper rinse once out of salt water is all. I get my divers pressure tested at the watchmaker and if necessary replace gaskets needed to ensure water resistance.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 8, 2016

How often? Yearly?

5. watchcollect Apr 8, 2016

Watchco 8 months or so. Submariner at last service 4-5 weeks ago. Both have been in ocean numerous times and have not ever worried about them. Owned the sub for 9 or so years and have not had a problem at all.