Forums Latest Members

Speedy Pro and water resistance...

1. josephvman Mar 16, 2016

I'm heading to the beach for a few days and would love to be wearing my Speedy Pro on the grey Omega Nato strap, but the lack of true water resistance is the deal killer and I'll have to fall back on one of my other watches (leaning towards Exp II Polar). Which Speedmaster model most resembles the classic hesalite Pro handwind, yet offers 100m water resistance? Is there any technical reason that Omega hasn't advanced the water rating of the classic Speedy, or is it simply a matter of tradition? Does anyone else find this a frustrating aspect of owning this watch?

meganfox17 likes this.
  2. italy1861 Mar 16, 2016

Nope, Speedmaster isn't a dive watch. It can handle swimming as long as the seals have been checked or replaced regularly. If I want to go in the ocean or participate in water sports, it's a Seamaster or PO, better yet, G-shock or Seiko driver. Those watches are cheap enough that if something goes wrong, I could care less and buy another. There a great saying, a watch is water resistant until it isn't.

3. ashleysteadman Mar 16, 2016

+1 - the Speedmaster should be fine for swimming if it's recently been checked but it's really not designed for that purpose so to say it's a frustrating part of the ownership experience is a bit unfair on ol' Speedy ;)

4. lando Mar 16, 2016

In space humidity is 0%... ;)

konadoc likes this.
  5. friendharry Mar 16, 2016

For the water, Ploprof or Planet Ocean. Keep in mind that if the watch is rated 100m, you cantrust WR till 10m...
    Only 300m or more are truly 100% reliable when snorkeling ir diving

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 16, 2016

100% at sea

image.jpeg

Last time I posted your comment years ago @Archer hit me with this photo

g-boac, noelekal, GregH and 5 others like this.
  7. meganfox17 Mar 16, 2016

Come va Signore @josephvman
    Come e La Vostra Bella Macchina La Ducati Nove Chique Nove Panigale ?

Hi Guys !

Sorry. Couldnt (Water) Resist

■ What's the name of Omega's Official Timekeeping Watch in Rio Olympic Swimming Events ?

■ A Speedomaster !

[​IMG]

Ok Seriously Guys. I go scuba diving or snorkling on some weekends so i'll just share some experiences here...i have screwed Up a Victorinox Divemaster ( Hey ..divemaster ..speedmaster.. Get It ?! ) before so anything is possible for me now !

My Preference. German Divers ISO certified is a bonus but it doesnt matter. ISO 62xx something...i can't remember the code.. gives you an extra 25 % in dive depth
    i have faith & trust a 100 m German more than a 100 m Swiss.Why are the Germans so Under-rated?I owned a Sinn UX EZM 2B..k

If My Death Certificate says "Victim Died Due To Caisson Disease " you can be damn bloody sure the post mortem findings reported dead woman wasnt wearing any German divers !

I wont even dare borrow a complicated calibre 9300 to the Malaysian beaches either..It's also the damn corrosive chlorine or salt water in 25-35 C in UV sunlight weather of high humidity 80 -90% collectively hits the sweet spot !

@Longbow advised me not to swim with my beloved future GlobeMaster so i'm taking his word very seriously...

Si Signore... La Vita e Ingiusta !

Edited Mar 16, 2016
    Morrisdog, savio.79, sky21 and 2 others like this.
  8. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Mar 16, 2016

Well done! Didn't expect that picture for a Space Mission - but you're right :D

tyrantlizardrex and STANDY like this.
  9. davidswiss Mar 16, 2016

I understand that one of the NASA tests was for the watch to be waterproof and the reason that the Breitling navitimer was dropped was it's failure when it got wet after landing. I'm sure that a modern speedy pro is fine in water and if the seals are ok on an older watch it would be fine as well. They aren't dive watches though.

10. Dombo63 Mar 16, 2016

I would worry as well about sand scratching the Hesalite. For beach, swimming etc, as mentioned above, get a solar powered, radio-controlled G-Shock. No battery to change or time zone differences.

11. Flingit1200s Mar 16, 2016

I find this a bit silly. The Speedmaster is designed for a purpose and it is waterproof to reasonable degree that makes it very versitile for use as a sport/dress/flight/everyday watch. Drive your car out into the ocean to get a view of the shore and it will sink.....why?....because it isn't made to float, not because the design is a bit behind the times. Use the proper tool for the job and you'll be fine ladies and gents!

Edit: Many people kindly remind owners that you must maintain the seals for the Speedy to remain waterproof to it manufactured spec. This is true of any watch diver or otherwise and doesn't imply that the speedy is somehow more fragile. Choose the right tool for the job and maintain that tool properly to get the desired result.

Edited Mar 16, 2016
    davy26 and ConElPueblo like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 16, 2016

I was about to do it again but you beat me to the punch! ;)

g-boac and STANDY like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 16, 2016

Come on! My watch was rated for 300m yet this happened?

[​IMG]

What, you mean I have to maintain it? WTF!?!

;)

Perseus, Flingit1200s and STANDY like this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 16, 2016

Let you do it next time, as we both know in three months this thread will groundhog once or twice. ;)

Tritium and Archer like this.
  15. ConElPueblo Mar 16, 2016

::facepalm2::

Care to elaborate?

16. ConElPueblo Mar 16, 2016

Reminds of the time where I posted this chart on WUS in a similar topic:

[​IMG]

That swimming guy there?

Someone actually argued that he was "wading".

WADING!!!

WADING!!!

Shortly thereafter I came to OF. Haven't looked back.

dinexus, watchknut, lando and 5 others like this.
  17. Canuck Mar 16, 2016

:cautious: Same stuff, different day. Before the most recent shots I took of my next to new Speedmaster Professional, gave it a lick and a promise to make certain it looked its best. A final quick rinse in cold water, and fait accompli! Took my pictures. Checked my watch ten minutes later! Couldn't read the time! Crystal totally fogged over, and droplets of water! Dropped what I was doing, hustled to my shop, stripped it, and fortunately, all the water was under the crystal. None on the dial, none on the movement! Blew the water out and left the movement out of the case for 24 hours, finished tidying it up, and put it back together!

You're sure your watch is waterproof? If so, why are you asking the question? You don't think it necessary to listen to reason and the experience of others? Go ahead, trust 100% it won't leak! I can guarantee you it WILL leak. Maybe not immediately, but eventually. And there won't be any warning! And don't fall back on the assurance of the words water PROOF or water RESISTANT by the manufacturer! A Speedmaster should NOT be worn for diving IMO! And if you MUST wear it swimming or diving, water test it before every time you expose it!

18. Flingit1200s Mar 16, 2016

You mean Omega actually has that chart on their web site? Gawwwllllllyyyyy. In an effort to actually be helpful here, try using the Seiko shown below at the beech. It's rated to around 100m and, if it doesn't stay sealed (which I doubt), you throw it in the trash and buy another for $135. You don't even have to bother your watchmaker!
    IMG_1502.JPG

19. z1109r Mar 16, 2016

Well, used to dive a little when I was younger with this:

upload_2016-3-16_16-23-7.jpeg
    Rated for 200m, special dive watch/computer and rated only 200m.

Whats the difference between 15 bar and 20 bar watches in the chart? Unidirectional bezel! Not the water resistance eventhough there is a slight difference! You simply have to have a watch with undirectional bezel for diving! Recreational divers (PADI) are only allowed to go 30 meters so depth is not the issue when going out to the beach.

BTW. diving in Finland can be a bit cold, once I made a dive for 35 minute and the average temperetare was +1°C. With a wetsuit :eek:

[​IMG]

20. rhj Mar 17, 2016

I totally agree with italy1861! When I go in water I put my Seiko or citizen on ... Never challenge the gods