Forums Latest Members
  1. Jusourig Feb 27, 2021

Hi guys,

I am looking for your advise: I found this vintage Seamaster on e-bay for 800$, from Japan.
    Do you think about the condition?
    From my newbie's eyes, it looks genuine, but the lungs look strange though.

Price-wise, after checking all the sells in the forum, I kinda feel like it's alright.
    But I'm looking for experts opinion to dissuade me ;-).

7.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg s-l16001.jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. Rudi99 Feb 27, 2021

Hi @Jusourig and welcome to OF. :)

This is a tough one for me. The case condition is in my opinion great, apart from the scratches on the back, but looking at the watch in the front, it looks nice and sharp!

That crown would be wrong, but I don't think the correct one would be difficult to source, if you choose to do so.

The hands are also ok, but then... I am really not sure about the dial.

The Seamaster font still looks ok, but the Omega Automatic looks for me a tad off... I would expect something like this:

Screenshot_20210227_094110.jpg

Maybe I am wrong and seeing things, but wanted to put this out there and wait for the true experts to come along and say what they think!

Best wishes,

Rudi

Noddyman and apsm100 like this.
  3. apsm100 applysome! Feb 27, 2021

I agree with @Rudi99. Dial looks refinished. The OMEGA text is off to the left and the a in Seamaster just looks completely wrong (script all around not correct). Case has seen a polish or two as well. Pass.

Cool jumbo reference though!

Rudi99 and Noddyman like this.
  4. Jusourig Feb 27, 2021

Oh, now that you pointed out...
    Putting it side by side, I cannot see the difference you spotted, @Rudi00 and @apsm100.

But there is definitely something off with the "E" and the "G" of OmEGa

7 - Copy.jpg
  5. Jusourig Feb 27, 2021

And the combinations "st" and "er" in Seama-ST-ER".

But my feeling is (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you will always be able to spot tiny differences on the dial, even between 2 genuine same models, just because they would have aged differently.
    So where is the limit to differentiate a normal 60yo watch and a redial?

(and I am not sure if Christie's was the right place to look for a "typical" model that I can use as baseline of comparison...)

Or is it because the logo/font has evolved with time?
    I noticed that sometime the "S" in Seamaster is more angular for models from 50s-60s for example.

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 27, 2021

Redialed!

7. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 27, 2021

Well, there's a number of considerations.
    The case, caseback, hands and movement are all okay in my view.
    The price is in an acceptable range and your only or main anxiety seems to be the dial.
    The serial number indicates 1964 and given that it’s 57 years old I think it looks pretty good.
    The chances are that it may well be a redial but the jury will probably remain out on that.
    It’s a nice watch, it’s a vintage Omega with an ultra reliable but easily serviceable and repairable movement, it’s about the right price and I suspect that were I to buy it, I’d enjoy wearing it although you have to factor in that I’m not a diehard when it comes to restoring, cleaning or repairing dials.

8. mountainunder Feb 27, 2021

I looked at ebay for the OP's watch.
    The ebay item description for the dial is 'Little damage(dust) The dial has been reprinted.'

9. Pvt-Public Feb 27, 2021

So it’s advertised as being reprinted and now we are questioning if it has or hasn’t. ::facepalm2::
    Looks like the seller answered the question before it was even asked.

thelinendial and Spruce like this.
  10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 27, 2021

If you cannot tell it is reprinted or not, you'd better go back to school and stop giving advice.

apsm100 and Dan S like this.
  11. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 27, 2021

Sorry, but who’s this to?

12. Maskelyne Feb 27, 2021

Definitely a redial. One obvious tell is the OMEGA fonts, misaligned and poorly executed.

Dan S likes this.
  13. Jusourig Feb 27, 2021

My bad, I shouldn't have missed this part :whipped:

14. Jusourig Feb 27, 2021

OK, next chance: found this other one still on e-bay, a 166.003 cal. 565, sold at 850$.
    Seems better than the previous one.

I search on internet, looks like the case match the movement (even though I found a site stating a cal. 562).

Thank for your help and patience.

9.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

15. JwRosenthal Feb 27, 2021

16. Jusourig Feb 27, 2021

Hi @JwRosenthal, thanks for the welcome.
    Going through the 3 pinned threads was of course the 1st thing I did, it was a good start. + checking the previous sales in the forum helped me to evaluate the normal price range.

17. JwRosenthal Feb 27, 2021

Sounds like you are off to a good start. After you do this for a while, you’ll begin to trust your instincts. If it feels off, it probably is. Yes, there were dial variants, different sub-contractors, changes from one period to the next- but 95% of the time, Omega was incredibly consistent.

18. mountainunder Feb 27, 2021

I looked at eBay again.
    This watch is in auction format, not Buy It Now.
    The price can be higher than the current price.
    Please be careful.

19. Jusourig Feb 27, 2021

Thanks for the encouragement. I also started to watch Omega Enthusiast's YouTube channel, and in particular its "Watch Wrong" series, which I found useful to learn how to examine a watch.

Thanks for the head's up. Yes, I noticed it's an auction, I assume the price will rise at the last moment.
    But if it does not (much), I would like to place a bet IF you guys think this particular piece worth to collect (it will be my 1st watch, and my 1st e-bay purchase).

I have the feeling it's a good one - but again, I can be totally wrong. Just learning from my mistakes and from you !

20. Dan S Feb 27, 2021

I thought it was already clearly determined that it is a re-dial. Why are we still discussing this watch? Once you determine there is something wrong, just move on.

Rudi99, apsm100 and JwRosenthal like this.