Forums Latest Members

Omega Seamaster Cal 552 (Considering buying this, need advice)

1. theomegagirl96 Jan 4, 2020

Hello!

I found this really old Seamaster Cal 552 that I am seriously considering to purchase. The watch works perfectly mechanically but the dial looks to be in pretty bad shape. I am wondering if some 3rd party servicing/cleaning by a professional might make any difference to this? Also I am looking to offer around 350USD for this. Am I being reasonable in offering this for this particular piece? I notice cal 552 seamsters in better shape than this one going for about 500USD in some cases.

Lurked in this forum for a while only to be surprised by how knowledgable and helpful many of you guys are! Thought I would have a go too! Also as for me, I am fairly new to vintage omegas but have spent many months reading and researching on ones I am very keen on.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6239.PNG IMG_6238.PNG
  2. Shabbaz Jan 4, 2020

Welcome!

I would save a bit longer and wait for a better example. Patience is the key. ;)

theomegagirl96 likes this.
  3. Shabbaz Jan 4, 2020

The movement is also in need of a service. So IMO it's better keep saving and wait for a better one.

theomegagirl96 likes this.
  4. theomegagirl96 Jan 4, 2020

Thank you for the quick reply, haha looks like I have some more waiting to do then :)

Also for my general knowledge could you also help to answer these 2 questions?

1) Do you think this watch can even be reasonably serviced whilst being in this condition?

2) Also if someone was just pawning this off, would it still be worth to get it, maybe at like $100 USD? What would be a reasonable offer for a watch in this condition, in your opinion if you don't mind me asking?

5. Shabbaz Jan 4, 2020

The movement could be serviced. Yes. But the question is what the condition is and how many parts would need to be replaced. The dial needs to be repainted but after you're done you would be paying in total more than $ 600 if you buy for $ 350.

This watch is not worth more than $ 150 (maybe $200) IMO. A lot of work to get this watch in shape.

Conclusion, you're better off buying a good example.

6. janice&fred Jan 4, 2020

cool you're getting into this vintage stuff. yes for $100 I would grab it and just sit on it until a decent used dial came along to have installed. for $100 throw it in a drawer and keep looking for a more presentable example to strap on and wear :)

7. ext1 Jan 4, 2020

If the movement was in better condition if I were you I would have bought it for low, because the cal 552 is a really awesome movement..

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 4, 2020

Getting it for a low cost might be a good idea for a collector with access to dials and parts but, if you're buying your first vintage, buy one that may only need a service. Otherwise, you're just paying the noob tax over a longer period.

ConElPueblo, Edward53 and janice&fred like this.
  9. janice&fred Jan 4, 2020

yes this is alternative sound advice to my price-oriented method of collecting and if I may make a suggestion to the OP...take both forms of advice. if possible buy this watch for $100, sell it to me for $200 and you're $100 ahead towards the one that only needs a service :D

10. Rochete Jan 4, 2020

I would buy it for around €150, no more. Because if a better dial never shows up you can get back the 150 and more selling separately case and movement. Paying $350 for this watch is ruinous, if you feel like giving charity Im reducing collection and have a lot of watches in better shape so you can wear them right after non-chalantly splashing generosity on me ;)

11. Peter_from_NL Jan 4, 2020

For a low price I would buy this to “try around” and familiarize myself with watch and movement. That is one of the things still on my ToDo list. Do complete movement without the risk of killing something valuable.

12. amcclell Jan 4, 2020

I agree with efauser. Pay more for a watch that only needs a service.