Forums Latest Members
  1. absolutetrash May 30, 2018

Hi, I am new to the world of watches as well as this forum, so please pardon any noobness on my part. I have recently decided to get a “real” watch (I’ve only owned digital no name watches) and the only thing I can afford is a vintage Omega. I found a nice looking piece with a repainted dial which I don’t mind, but it doesn’t have a name on the dial and I have no clue if it’s real or fake. I hope someone can shed some light on it thank you very much. 83CCBDFD-D804-459F-BEE6-E696EFFAC834.png 2EDE98DA-8731-4E57-977F-346E4BDB98B1.png EB451CCA-F234-491C-B896-E1F3B6F11AB3.png

FE2FC111-2EE8-436D-A7FE-A9379C072019.png
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 30, 2018

Omega watches did not always have model names like Seamaster, Constalletion ;) etc.

It's most probably genuine but based on the pics you've shown I wouldn't buy the watch (I'd want to see a lot more, especially movement, caseback).

Buying a vintage watch isn't "Oh, I know, I'll buy a vintage watch today".

It's a minefield so research and knowledge can prevent great misery.

Begin your education here and save yourself some heartache.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

3. Fialetti May 30, 2018

What JimInOz said.

Also, If money is an issue there are a lot of mechanical watches, both vintage and modern, that can be had for less than a vintage Omega.

absolutetrash likes this.
  4. absolutetrash May 30, 2018

Thank you guys for your reply. So should I pass on this? The seller has told me he doesn’t mind having the watch checked at any place of my choosing for authenticity

5. Edward53 May 30, 2018

That doesn't make sense. It's like saying I've decided to get a "real" car and the only thing I can afford is a vintage E-type.

Foo2rama and connieseamaster like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 30, 2018

Do you have a place of your choosing qualified to state that it's the correct caliber for the case reference and that the hands/crown are correct for that reference?

If you aren't a collector and just want a "vintage looking watch" then it's your money.

If you want something that will retain value, I think you should pass and do some research.

7. absolutetrash May 30, 2018

No, my meaning is that I consider Omega to be a “real” watch brand. Not knocking other brands, it’s just what I think (Like how James Bond wears one) so I want one as well. (DB5 too but that’s another story haha). But I can’t afford a modern one which is several thousand dollars but I can get vintage ones for a few hundred. Oh and if only a vintage jag e type is cheaper than a modern jag...

8. absolutetrash May 30, 2018

I see, I’m no collector. More of a superficial kid who wants the words OMEGA on my wrist.. but anyway you would recommend that I pass on it? Oh and the place of choosing I do not have... but I feel like google could find me one. What do you think?

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 30, 2018

Fair enough.

If I was a superficial kid, I'd still check that the movements was in good condition and not in need of a $300/$400 dollar service. I'd also like to know that the movement had a shock protected balance and that all parts were original Omega.

When I was a superficial kid, I also wanted an Omega like my Dad wore, so I spent my first holiday pay on a brand new Omega 600 135.011.

It was a pretty quiet holiday, I s'pose I spent most of the time looking at my watch.

10. Mathlar May 30, 2018

He was suggesting that this particular watch is most likely not correct (at best refinished, at worst put together from other bits) and you would be wasting your money. You are not a collector - you are new to this field - and that watch has issues.

I suggest you look through the Watches for Sale and Private Watch Sales forums on here and, first and foremost, find something you like that is in your price range. Even if it is sold already, it'll give you an idea of what you can expect to pay for something reasonable. For instance, these two:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1968-omega-seamaster-automatic-ref-166010-serviced.76830/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-1958-omega-seamaster-2938-35mm.76847/

STANDY likes this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 30, 2018

What's this above watch worth.

What's your budget.

What part of the world are you in.

Answer these and help can be given a lot easier ;)

12. absolutetrash May 30, 2018

I’m sorry but what is “shock protected balance”?

Wow those are beautiful. Thanks for the advice. Yeah I’ve been through my local online second hand shop and I happened to stumble upon this thing. Thought it might have been a great find or something. Clearly I was wrong

13. absolutetrash May 30, 2018

The above watch costs about Singapore $350. Which is about $260 US according to Google.

I’m from Singapore

14. Fialetti May 30, 2018

It means that the balance staff, one of the critical components of the watch, revolves on a small spring-mounted jewel. The spring protects it from breaking in the event that the watch is dropped or hit. Shock protected watches often have the fact written on the face or case, but you can also recognise them by opening the watch and checking the mount of the balance staff.

One of the most knowledgeable members here, ulackfocus, is currently posting a series called 'horology 101' about these kinds of technical matters. You should look at it; it will answer your questions, and many that you do not know you have yet.

Edited May 30, 2018
  15. absolutetrash May 30, 2018

I see, but do all Omega’s come with that? Alright it’s on the forum right? I’ll try to look for it and do some reading

16. TropicConnie May 31, 2018

If you can afford a vintage Omega, you can certainly afford a vintage Longines, which will be just as good as an Omega, if not nicer. If you like a 'model name' on the dial:

Omega Constellation ≈ Longines Conquest ≈ Longines Flagship (automatic)
    Omega Seamaster (automatic) ≈ Longines Admiral
    Omega Seamaster 30 ≈ Longines Flagship (manual)

Longines also had the Grand Prize and Ultra-Chron series, which had highly technical world-class automatic movements with no real equivalents in the Omega range.

Edited May 31, 2018
  17. DManzaluni May 31, 2018

After they were invented, pretty much all watches come with that shock absorber! Usually named incabloc after the most common design. Not because there is anything inherently wrong with a watch which doesnt have a shock absorber, but because the balance staff is so delicate that the chances of breaking it are so high if it doesnt have that shock absorber. In your case, especially in Singapore, repairing a broken balance staff will often cost more than the whole watch is worth.

I have a beautiful 18ct 7 3/4H Rolex from the mid fifties with a broken balance staff & (after no one here had any ideas) I have spent a few YEARS trying to figure out how to fix it, after I discovered that the Bestfit cross-referenced one doesn't fit!!

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 31, 2018

May I suggest.

17311C68-8E77-471F-9491-125F768D3CD8.jpeg

Vintage looks in-house movement can be had for 200-300

Orient Bambino. They come in many different faces and styles. Make sure you get the 40mm or smaller version.

neilfrancis likes this.