Vintage Omega Constellation and Seamaster

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and considering a purchase of a vintage Omega.
I was hoping for some help and guidance with my endeavors - in particular, is the condition fine and what will be the reasonable price range for the below watches.
I found two watches - Omega Constellation PiePan and Omega Seamaster (probably gold plated - description is not the best) both from a private seller.

From what I read about the Constellation, the original crown must be octagon, so I assume this one is not the original. Unfortunately, there are no pictures of the mechanism of the Constellation, but I will request some.

Pictures of both below.
Thanks in advance!

image;s=750x1000
image;s=750x1000
image;s=1000x750
image;s=698x1001
image;s=1000x750
image;s=3456x4608
image;s=3456x4608
image;s=3456x4608
image;s=3456x4608

I don’t know much about pie pan Constellations but the dial and case look rough and, personally, I wouldn’t go for it.

The Seamaster looks reasonable to me. It’s a 165.003 with the correct semi recessed crown from the early 1960s.

Given that it’s 60 plus years old, the dial and hands look good to me and the case is okay by my standards although the strap is awful!

The movement looks fair.

The two issues that I can comment on are whether or not it’s been serviced. Factor in about £150 if you need to have it serviced. The 552 movement is very reliable and parts are still available. It’s an easy service.

The real question is the price.

I paid about £570 for this one on the basis it had been serviced and was stainless steel rather than gold capped.

IMG_2001.jpeg

I don’t know much about pie pan Constellations but the dial and case look rough and, personally, I wouldn’t go for it.

The Seamaster looks reasonable to me. It’s a 165.003 with the correct semi recessed crown from the early 1960s.

Given that it’s 60 plus years old, the dial and hands look good to me and the case is okay by my standards although the strap is awful!

The movement looks fair.

The two issues that I can comment on are whether or not it’s been serviced. Factor in about £150 if you need to have it serviced. The 552 movement is very reliable and parts are still available. It’s an easy service.

The real question is the price.

I paid about £570 for this one on the basis it had been serviced and was stainless steel rather than gold capped.

IMG_2001.jpeg

Thanks!
The price for the Constellation is around EUR 800 and that's why I am considering it (it seems quite low). Is that actually a good bargain?

On the Seamaster - does the gold platting/cap add any value compared to the stainless steel?

EDIT: The price asked for the Seamaster is around EUR 600.
Edited:

As I said, I won’t say much about the Connie but the price seems high given the condition.

I think the Seamaster is reasonably priced. If you can get it without the Zenith so much the better. The Zenith is collectible so you might sell it but the case is gold and worth something even if only scrap.

Capped watches are slightly less fashionable at present than stainless steel which doesn’t deteriorate in the same way and given current fashion trends can be worn as both a dress watch and casual

In a sea of thousands of available watches what attracts you to these two?

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/
I liked the models and the price seemed good. Bud given that I am inexperienced, was wondering if there are any obvious pitfalls to these watches and if the pricing makes them a bargain.

PS: thanks for the link - I've read it, but there seem to be different opinions as to the patina. Is the patina on the Constellation ok in your view or is it too colored?

The gold-capped Seamaster should have a similar value as a SS example. IMO, the price is a little high from a private seller given the condition of the dial. If you like it, and don't mind paying for it to be serviced, maybe you can offer $400. If he doesn't accept, that's ok, you will find something better.

I'd pass on the Constellation.

Dial on the Constellation is too far gone to even consider.

Seamaster $350-400 and I'd want to see the dial under natural light, I don't like the spotting I see.

Is the patina on the Constellation ok in your view or is it too colored?

That'll always come down to a matter of taste. You'll find that generally, people tend to like relatively even patina more than a dial that simply looks stained. I'd definitey put the Constellation above in the 2nd category. I'd definitely pass on the Constellation. Invest in a service and you'll likely be at >1000€ for a watch that looks... well, like it does. If you have a smaller budget:

There are Omegas to be had for less money, too. Finding one of the more desirable Constellation references serviced for that kinda money will be difficult, though.

Re the Seamaster I agree with @X350 XJR : Something like 350-400 if the dial looks ok-ish. I have a feeling it won't, though.

A couple of suggestions if you're interested in buying a vintage Constellation or Seamaster:

1. Buy the best condition you can afford. You'll be wearing it. If you don't like how it looks, you won't wear it and it'll just be a big waste of money.
2. Watches are personal. Don't ask me if I like it. You should ask yourself if you like it. That Constellation looks bad to me because I like a clean dial. Someone else may prefer all that "patina" (aka damage) because that's how vintage watches should look.
3. Check out @dsio's Recommended Vintage Omega on eBay post that's stickied at the top of the Vintage forum. Dsio is an Omega expert and he's making recommendations on which watch is worth buying (do your own homework though!)

https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-only-on-ebay-not-for-inquiries.1790/page-415

4. There are two watch sales section on this website. On the first page of the Private Watch Sales forum you see two Constellations for sale and a bunch of Seamaster. Check those out first. @nanjingcigaretes is a respected seller and he has various Constellations and Seamaster for sale at very reasonable prices. Take at look at his sale posts

https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/

https://omegaforums.net/forums/watches-for-sale/
Edited:

PS: thanks for the link - I've read it, but there seem to be different opinions as to the patina. Is the patina on the Constellation ok in your view or is it too colored?

IMO the dial is damaged - and you will always look at this stain as on a fat wart with hair on the nose of someone.

My gold-capped connie:

const 1k.JPG

IMO the dial is damaged - and you will always look at this stain as on a fat wart with hair on the nose of someone.

My gold-capped connie:

const 1k.JPG

Best analogy of the day - if not the week :D:D:D

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.