Forums Latest Members

Vintage Moonphase recommendations

1. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 20, 2020

Dear all,

One of the types of watches that my collection has always missed is a triple calendar moonphase, or just a regular triple calendar for that matter.

It was around 7 years ago on a trip into London that I saw someone with a delicate dress watch with a moon phase.

At the time I had little knowledge or even interest in high end watches, so I don't recall the brand but remember being impressed, and since then I've always thought that I'd love to get one for my collection.

I love vintage watches, and my small collection spans the 1940s-60s. I know of a few beautiful examples, like the Omega below - I love how these are so simple and elegant. I understand this is the Omega cosmic moonphase.

I was wondering if anyone else has any other brands and models that they would recommend?

[​IMG]

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Ollie :)

moyrules and Explorador like this.
  2. ZIELSZIEK Apr 21, 2020

Hello there.
    While I cannot provide any Omega related expertise, what I can say is that you need to be a little more specific if you want information from those who have it and are willing to share.
    What is your budget? What diameter would satisfy you? Keep in mind some of these watches are very small, sizes ranging from 33-35-37mm. These come from a period when men's watches were not as big as today, but I'm sure you know that, therefore the bigger sizes are rarer.
    As with any watch related hunt, there are two constants: time and money.
    There are a lot of brands that produced this style of watch, ranging from the affordable generic brand(Hoga, Jovial) to the higher end of the spectrum(UG, Omega). It all depends on your budget. Also, these are very, very often redialed. You need a lot of research before getting into such waters.
    Also, make sure you have a watchmaker who is willing to service one of these. Service costs will be higher than your average vintage watch.
    Search function yielded these and they're a very good start:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/jumbo-moonphase-2486-2.84629/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/considering-a-moonphase-your-favorites.106528/page-3
    Good luck in your hunt!

3. NikoMartinez_SYD Apr 22, 2020

The model you picture is amazing, what’s the ref on that?

4. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 22, 2020

It sure is a beauty that's on my radar! This is a 1952 Omega Cosmic triple date moonphase in 18k. Calibre 381. Case reference 223.

5. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 22, 2020

I think my ideal diameter is 36mm, but have watches spanning from 34-38mm. So anywhere within this range. With regards to budget, I guess under $5000. I'm not necessarily in the market for one of these today, I am just looking to learn more about the different brands that offered these beautiful timepieces.

I have found that often I don't know about a particular type of watch until I happen to stumble across an auction for example, so I just wanted to have a better chance to have my eyes wide open so to speak.

I'm open to more affordable brands as well as those with more prestige - to me I would prefer a mint lower brand than a beat up more prestigious brand :)

I have a very good watchmaker that I am using that has been recommended to me by a trusted member of this forum, of whom I bought my lovely Longines in my display pic.

Thank you for those links - there's lots of information there - That movado for example looks like exactly what I'd be looking for - a real beauty. Here's a pic. Brightly coloured blue Moonphase, breguet numerals, unusual lugs! Perfect :)

[​IMG]

divetime and ZIELSZIEK like this.
  6. ZIELSZIEK Apr 22, 2020

Well, that's out of my ballpark, therefore I cannot provide any help.
    All I can do is wish you good luck since you've got it figured out already :)

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  7. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 25, 2020

Well thank you nonetheless, if anybody else has any suggestions it would be good to hear :)