Forums Latest Members
  1. DSotW Europol’s Most Wanted May 16, 2024

Hi everyone,

Well.. my father passed away back in January. Still not over the shock, nor had the time to mourn properly (have had to help my mother ever since it happened).

I inherited his Omega SpeedMaster Mark ii, which he purchased new back in 1969. I do not know if it was recently serviced, nor when it was last.

All I know is that when winding it up, it's sort of difficult to wind the crown, but not impossible, there is just some feeling of smooth resistance, meaning it is not fluid / easy to wind like any of my serviced Zeniths or my SpeedMaster Day/Date.

Is that normal for older Omega movements? Or should I send it for a service ?

Thanks....

Speedking likes this.
  2. YY77 May 16, 2024

Sorry for your loss.

Winding a manual handwound is always more difficult/resistance and resulting in a hard stop in comparison to an automatic movement, but if you don't know when it was last serviced maybe that should be done just to be safe.

Speedking and DSotW like this.
  3. Evitzee May 16, 2024

I have a 51 yo Mark II from new, and just had it serviced two years ago at Nesbit's in Seattle. It was always a fairly stiff watch to wind, and even after its overhaul it's a stiff winder compared to my other Speedmasters watches, it's just the way it is.

Speedking and DSotW like this.
  4. DSotW Europol’s Most Wanted May 16, 2024

Thanks. I do appreciate it.

Speedking likes this.
  5. DSotW Europol’s Most Wanted May 16, 2024

Thanks, I forgot to mention that it seems to have at least been cleaned since I last saw it (20 years ago). It used to be covered in little specs of paint, and there is no trace of and build-up in/under the clasp of the bracelet.

6. Speedking May 17, 2024

Does the crown spin backwards a little bit when you wind it?

DSotW likes this.
  7. Ascalon May 18, 2024

My Mark II was fully rebuilt with all new seals and it isn't hard to wind at all. Comparing it to various 7750s, and a few others, like a Seagull ST1902, it feels fairly easy to wind.

If you are getting significant resistance, I'd get it checked out.

The II does have a higher water resistance than the moon watch, but it still shouldn't be that hard to wind.

DSotW likes this.
  8. Fish70 May 18, 2024

I have a 55 year old MKII that was also serviced at Nesbit's in the last couple of years. It was harder to wind when I first got it back (I assume because of new seals but now it is easier. It does get harder the closer it gets to fully wound and I also have a bit of arthritis in my hands these days. This thread needs photos.

20230828_084814.jpg

9. judgecrater May 19, 2024

Sounds like the oil my have solidified and needs cleaning.

DSotW likes this.
  10. DSotW Europol’s Most Wanted May 22, 2024

No, it does not.

11. DSotW Europol’s Most Wanted May 22, 2024

Thank you, this is what I needed to know. It will be sent for a service.