Forums Latest Members

Springbars - how hard can it be?!?

1. ConElPueblo Apr 16, 2016

These last two days I've had pretty annoying experiences with springbars... How bloody har can it be to install the correct size!? You would think that seeing the "18" on the underside of the strap would make a person changing straps reach out for the ones that are suitable for 18mm straps, wouldn't you? It's not that it's a huge outlay to make sure that you have the correct ones for your strap - ESPECIALLY if you're selling the watch the strap is on!! ::rant:

Last evening I wanted to change strap on my Omega Seamaster 2892, but I couldn't get the bars to budge, and not wanting to gouge the lugs, I left it for today. Another try went unsuccesful, and I got serious and brought out my Proxxon mini drill. Having sawn (caaaaaarefully!!) through the first, it dawned on me why they were so difficult to operate:

DSC_0002.JPG

The correct springbars I had ready are at the bottom... ::facepalm2::

Taking into consideration that I have removed a milimeter or two, these are enormously oversized! How the seller even managed to get them to fit is anyone's guess. They are probably suited for a 20-22mm strap!

On the other end of the spectrum are the next specimens. I recently sold my Seamaster Calendar 2849 (now residing with @Schmedsc in the US) and the strap I had used almost exclusively was a Hadley Roma which had aqcuired a lovely, deep brown patina from use. My favourite strap for one of my best watches, a really great match.

However, when I wanted to put the strap on my Tissot Chrono the day before yesterday, I couldn't! It just wouldn't sit firmly between the lugs. I grabbed some new spring bars, and the problem disappeared... In the next photo, they are at the bottom, and the 18mm are in the middle:

DSC_0006.JPG

::rant:How bloody hard can it be?? ::rant:

I guess it's only due to Omega being a bit more strict on tolerances or that the untouched case was just more "tight", or otherwise I could have lost that watch anywhere during the period I wore it, which I did pretty often. Damn glad that I didn't ship the strap with the watch, or that could have happened any time.

Genuinely annoyed by this.

Larry S, Mad Dog and wsfarrell like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 16, 2016

Tell us how you really feel. Hmm.gif

Jonatan likes this.
  3. redpcar Apr 16, 2016

upload_2016-4-16_16-51-42.jpeg

4. alam Apr 16, 2016

Uff! and I thought changing the clutch on my 85 Volvo was a pain in the @$$!

:D

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 16, 2016

First thing I do with an incoming watch is to remove (sometimes even cut out) the old springbars and use new double shoulder bars like the 18mm ones you show.

Tritium, ConElPueblo and STANDY like this.
  6. NT931 Apr 17, 2016

mokofoko likes this.
  7. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Apr 17, 2016

I always use double shouldered type, the ones with no shoulder have nothing to grab onto and are next to impossible to remove without cutting them off.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 17, 2016

The really annoying guys put a shoulderless springbar in a case without lugholes thru the case...

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 17, 2016

I always remove those when I find them on a watch. The little tabs can be tough to see, especially when the end link is packed with body cheese and other debris...

I typically have no issues with Omegas spring bars. As long as people put the right bars in for the right situation, they are not usually a problem unless they get completely seized up, which is rare. I know a lot of people who struggle with spring bar removal, but having to cut them out is very rare in my experience.

Cheers, Al

10. ConElPueblo Apr 18, 2016

Oh, you have it easy...

I had to change brakes and cambelt on this:

[​IMG]

:D

I'm at a loss as to why people just don't do this the "proper" way. Later today I'll give changing the strap on my GF's Seamaster (17mm lug distance and 18mm strap) a go. I have a suspicion that it'll have the wrong bars as well ::facepalm2::

"Oh look at me, I have a Patek..." ;)

They look wicked. Haven't come across anything like that yet...

These are the first I've had to cut out, and it was only because of the siz; it wasn't possible for me to compress the spring enough to remove it from the lug holes. Did hold my breath as I lowered the buzzing saw disc down on the watch!

alam and mokofoko like this.
  11. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 18, 2016

Holy smokes, that is messed up. So instead of pushing in from the end, you push toward the center on that little lever?

I checked ebay just now, and a pair of those SOLID GOLD springbars runs north of $225... Just wow. And here I was complaining over a lost $10 Omega springbar.

Could I just tape the springbars to my wrist? That's about all I can afford right now :D

cicindela likes this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2016

Several years back I had to change out the A-frame bushings on this, in winter, in an unheated garage, sitting on the concrete, at -27°
    volvo-164-1973-6.jpg

ahartfie, STANDY and mokofoko like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 18, 2016

Look at your Torgoen a little closer then.:whistling:

image.jpeg

mokofoko likes this.
  14. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 18, 2016

No way I'd have the balls for that. Time to break out some small bolt-cutters?

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 18, 2016

mokofoko likes this.
  16. Schmedsc Apr 18, 2016

image.jpeg When you buy from a quality seller you don't have problems with springbars!:thumbsup:

ahartfie, GregH and ConElPueblo like this.
  17. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 18, 2016

I have waited for this opportunity...

ConElPueblo likes this.
  18. ConElPueblo Apr 18, 2016

I hoped no-one would notice!

At least mine had a clear cut-out in the strap, wasn't that hard to figure out ;)

Oh, I made sure to cause you all other sorts of trouble :D

19. Schmedsc Apr 18, 2016

My wife would agree:rolleyes:

ConElPueblo likes this.