Forums Latest Members

Vintage IWC Gold Dress Watch

1. MJKauz Dec 19, 2019

Hello all,

Just looking to see if I'm on the right track with this watch. I was going through my vintage pocket watches, and the rest of the family's watches that were passed down from my grandfather, and found one of his wrist watches. Since he was a diehard pocket watch guy, he didn't have many.

IMG_9063.JPG IMG_9062.JPG IMG_9061.JPG IMG_9064.JPG IMG_9067.JPG

This IWC was, we believe, bought as a gift by his father when he was on a trip to Switzerland, and double signed by Türler. I can't get the back off at the moment and it obviously isn't gold, so I'm not sure if it's original to the watch, but being that my grandpa was a lifelong watch guy I can't imagine he just tossed the original back.

From what I can tell it looks like an IWC Caliber 854. Does that seem right?

Also if anyone has suggestions of where to get this sent for an overhaul and new crystal, I'd appreciate it. It just needs a little TLC.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  2. Vitezi Dec 19, 2019

MJKauz likes this.
  3. MJKauz Dec 19, 2019

Thanks @Vitezi. Not expecting it to be anything special but its special to me and I'd like to get more information.

I assume that the back pops off but I don't have a spring bar tool to get the band off to look. Might have to wait until I'm back home from Christmas.

Vitezi likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 19, 2019

Nice watch! The back is likely original, as it would be odd to somehow lose a gold back, and wouldn't be easy to find a steel replacement that would fit properly. On the other hand, full gold cases were much higher production for IWC than mixed cases.

The inside of the back will tell the story for sure, as it should have a serial number, and possibly a reference number as well.

Nice dial, and so-called baton hands.

The box is a nice bonus, and, while the movement could be a cal. 854, it could also be an 853.

Vitezi and MJKauz like this.
  5. MJKauz Dec 19, 2019

@Tony C. thanks for the kind and helpful words. Good to know about the back. I'm not going to sell it but I'm curious how it being mixed case affects the value?

Is this just a back that I'd pop off like I would with any other non screw down back? Is it a matter of the lip being hidden right now by the band and spring bar? And did IWC frequently double sign watches? It's a fun find that I never knew we had, so I'm glad to have it.

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 19, 2019

Full gold are or steel are of course typically more desirable to most collectors, but given the connection to your grandfather, the value disparity would be trivial.

The back should pop off, but I do find the overhang of the gold top to be a bit odd. Typically the space to place the knife would be obvious from previous openings, but some people, including watchmakers (!), fail to place it at around 9:00 where it should be, and so it is sometimes (and unfortunately) hidden around the lugs.

Double-signed IWC are certainly not rare, but represent a small subset of their very large production during the early and mid-20th century.

MJKauz likes this.
  7. MJKauz Dec 19, 2019

Thanks again for all the information. I can't seem to see a lip anywhere but maybe if I got the strap off I could see a lip that is hidden at 6:00 or something. Will have to wait until I get back home.

8. TimeODanaos Dec 19, 2019

A beaut - looking forward to more pics after Christmas!

MJKauz likes this.