Forums Latest Members
  1. PlainVanilla Aug 10, 2020

And here we are: my first wrist shot with this Seamaster.

[​IMG]

Krohmie, wagudc, Spruce and 4 others like this.
  2. OmegaP99 Aug 10, 2020

Nice! Get familiar with it, you're gonna have that for a long time! Enjoy that beauty.

PlainVanilla likes this.
  3. PlainVanilla Aug 10, 2020

It's my first Omega and I have to say it's very impressive in real life. It's so small and so detailed. I quite like the damage around 10 to 1, it contrasts with the super clean indexes. It's ticking and running and it will go to my watchmaker in two weeks.

4. PlainVanilla Aug 10, 2020

I would like to thank everybody here for your help!

MtV likes this.
  5. MtV Aug 10, 2020

Please just ask him not to polish the case or do anything similar. Just in case. :)

OmegaP99 and PlainVanilla like this.
  6. PlainVanilla Aug 10, 2020

Will do but he's an Omega collector himself (particularly Speedmasters) so not really that kind of watchmaker. :D

OmegaP99 and MtV like this.
  7. PlainVanilla Oct 31, 2020

So the watch is back from the watchmaker! The crystal was a generic one so I ordered an Omega crystal with the proper reference directly to my watchmaker so he can replace it, and he even took the time to align the logo properly on the crystal which is always nice.

[​IMG]

He told me that the movement was in very good condition and that all parts were clean and looking really good. The crown will need to be replaced as it will likely snap soon, and the minute hand will also need to be replaced at some time because it's oval somehow, so that will be my next goal. He told me that he will replace the parts for free once I found them, and I paid 180€ for the service (not including the replacement crystal). I'm very happy to enjoy this watch knowing it's now serviced and in very good shape!

Krohmie, wagudc, Spruce and 3 others like this.
  8. TimeODanaos Oct 31, 2020

You did great! These c.1960 manual winders are under-represented, even when not under-rated. Enjoy!

5.JPG

Edited Oct 31, 2020
    PlainVanilla and Spruce like this.
  9. duffy7 Oct 31, 2020

What a beauty - congratulation

PlainVanilla likes this.
  10. PlainVanilla Nov 1, 2020

Manual winders are under represented indeed, even if I personally think they are more interesting watches than their automatic counterparts. They are thinner, are a little bit more reliable due to the fact they have a little less parts in their movements, they feel better and they sound better.

Thank you, I'm glad I chose a vintage Omega, and I like how this one plays with light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Krohmie and TimeODanaos like this.
  11. HappyJack Nov 1, 2020

Looks gorgeous. I’m no really a dress watch fan but I do like the look of that. What year would it be?

PlainVanilla likes this.
  12. PlainVanilla Nov 1, 2020

It's from 1961, so it's turning 60 years old next year. This version with onyx filled hour markers doesn't seem to be the most common Seamaster De Ville as I noticed while looking for one.

13. OllieOnTheRocks Nov 1, 2020

Ahh this brings back memories! My first Omega wasn't a Seamster but a Geneve and regrettably not in the condition of your one! That said, I don't regret it, it suited my needs and wishes and it planted the seed and took me on a journey that will last a lifetime in watch collecting.

Omega remains my favourite brand to this day, due to beautiful watches that crop up every now and then. Here she is the one who started it all!

IMG_5301.jpg

I remember when I had this watch, I couldn't see how any other design of dress watch could possibly surpass it in style and class.

Whilst I no longer own this one, I do own 4 Geneves and after selling this one above for a small profit I put it towards a similar earlier, manual wind 2904 in 18K.

IMG_4579.jpg

Whilst the new one is certainly in better shape, I do sometimes miss something about the character of my first Omega, maybe it's the slightly pinker tone of GP, compared to yellow gold? I'm not sure, but the journey will continue! :)

I'm happy you're onto the right track with your first Seamster - perhaps it'll take you on a journey like mine!

Krohmie, Zapatta, amcclell and 3 others like this.
  14. PlainVanilla Nov 1, 2020

That Gevève is stunning! It's my first Omega but probably not the last indeed. There is something poetic in the fact of using a device from 1961 to tell the time. Its original owner is likely not of this world anymore but the watch keeps ticking on the wrist of another person.

15. OllieOnTheRocks Nov 1, 2020

Sounds to me like you’ve caught the bug

PlainVanilla likes this.
  16. Kokito Nov 1, 2020

Good to see a true enthusiast. Clean dress watch in very good condition, nice!

PlainVanilla likes this.