Forums Latest Members

Vintage Grail vs modern practicality

1. FYPM Nov 12, 2019

Hi all, long time lurker hardly-ever poster here...

Toying with buying that vintage grail over a new Omega (BSOTM aventurine) most likely at a good discount on retail.

The grail keeps increasing in price, though less relevant than my fear of servicing costs and me damaging the watch, hence me thinking modern practicality.

What are ballpark service costs for a speedy moon phase do you think?

2. Martin_F Nov 12, 2019

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 12, 2019

Search for a thread where the owner of a aventurine dial drops his watch :eek::eek:

kkt likes this.
  4. Chaz Goldenrod Nov 12, 2019

Do you have other modern pieces in your collection? If so, it may tip the balance towards the vintage grail since you already have other modern pieces for daily wear.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 12, 2019

What’s your grail, help us help you with the more information

chronos likes this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 12, 2019

The standard watch forum answer #32D v5.9, which by definition doesn’t consider opinions, individual preferences, budgets, partner approval, or numerous other factors...

Buy them both.

Faz, FYPM, Vitezi and 2 others like this.
  7. DeepBlue Nov 13, 2019

I'd go for the vintage grail.

But if you want to wear it every day, everywhere, a modern piece might be better.

8. Bugbait Nov 13, 2019

Get whichever watch you like more with suitable insurance else you'll always be thinking "what if?". To be quite blunt, if maintenance/service costs are a concern then maybe you should hold off on owning a (luxury) mechanical watch (for now)?

FYPM and Martin_F like this.
  9. FYPM Nov 13, 2019

Just seen all the replies and thanks guys

grail is a tri compax Universal Geneve

didn’t think omega would list their prices for service so didn’t even check

I own a lovely banana 166.068, which I adore and wear every day. Also a Bernhardt Globemaster which is fun and for holidays.

bugbait makes perfect sense in all points. I hadn’t considered insurance (my current watches just on house ins. ), but ultimately if I will have to spend 2-3k per service for Tri Compax, though I could justify purchasing my wallet weeps at the thought of servicing!

10. FYPM Nov 13, 2019

I’m not sure I’d ever want to take off the grail. Ever.

This might lead to a new life whereby I avoid showers, baths and the open sea but might also lose a few friends and wife along the way..

Darlinboy likes this.
  11. steversaurus Nov 15, 2019

Vintage grail, you only live once, and there are only so many of them out there.

FYPM likes this.