Forums Latest Members

Vintage Cartier Tank - advice needed

1. kawuszka007 Jun 27, 2020

Good morning Gents,

I stumbled upon this Cartier tank and I’m not sure what that residue is and whether it’s on the dial or on the underside of the glass. By the looks of the marks at the 5 position it seems that the minute hand is above the mark, which leads me to believe that the dial may be stained or whatever that is. My question is - how hard is it to clean a dial IF it’s just a blemish and not a major discoloration of the dial? IF indeed it is on the dial and blemish is not able to come out - is a redial possible by an expert watchmaker? Thanks in advance for everyone’s input!

96C74ECA-E790-4E8D-BEA3-D9E946712707.png
  2. themattedial Jun 27, 2020

Difficult to tell from one photo only, but It looks to me as if the enamel has chipped away from the dial and the plate below exposed (it seems from the photo as if there are large pieces of enamel floating in the case)

I took a similar watch to Cartier and they resurrected it for just under 1000 USD - complete overhaul with new dial, hands, crown, etc

Here's the thread I started about it: https://omegaforums.net/threads/found-a-little-cartier-tank-but-is-it.97239/

kawuszka007 likes this.
  3. kawuszka007 Jun 27, 2020

Wow. What a fantastic read. Beautiful restoration. Might get it anyway on the cheap. How much did you get yours for ?

4. themattedial Jun 27, 2020

I think it was under 100 bucks